Solid-State Amps | Attenuator for Direct Recording and Headphone Playing?

dronerstone

Roadie
Good morning there!

Yeah right, it's one of these (stupid) questions again. ;)

Since the web provides too many different/varying opinions on this, I thought I'd just ask you guys.

I have the cheapo Harley Benton 100W attenuator (Jettenuator clone) and a Two Notes CAB M+, and I do enjoy using that combination to play and record my Ampeg VT-22 and Fender "Evil" Twin directly into audio interface and/or headphones. Both amps carry big irons, so the clipping indicator comes in handy.

BUT: There's quite a few old solid-state fellas waiting to join in on the fun, they're a tad grumpy and sad already, since they don't get that much love these days. To be specific: LAB Series L2/L5/L11, and a (ported) 120W Ampeg G-series beast of a head.

Would it actually be safe enough to use them that way?

Definitely not planning to dime them, I'm only asking because I'd really enjoy having the option of playing/recording those particular amps just like I do with my tube amps.

The attenuator should at least act like there's a cab connected, or I could actually have one there, but starve the volume - would this work?

Be careful. Not all attenuators are safe to use with solid state amps due to different grounding schemes. Check the manual before hooking up. This a big reason why I keep my Two-Note Torpedo around to use with my HH IC-100 and Lab Series L5.

Be careful. Not all attenuators are safe to use with solid state amps due to different grounding schemes. Check the manual before hooking up. This a big reason why I keep my Two-Note Torpedo around to use with my HH IC-100 and Lab Series L5.
Thanks for that, and yup, I'll refrain from any possible stupid action, as long as I'm not 100% convinced it won't happen the amp!

According to certain geeks for all things LAB Series (a pretty decent FB group called "I Love my LAB Series Amp"), it's actually possible to run the preamp on its own, e.g. into something like the CAB M, without a dummy load or anything attached.

Still not sure about the solid-state Ampeg though, since they're kinda rare and not too popular.

Thanks for that, and yup, I'll refrain from any possible stupid action, as long as I'm not 100% convinced it won't happen the amp!

According to certain geeks for all things LAB Series (a pretty decent FB group called "I Love my LAB Series Amp"), it's actually possible to run the preamp on its own, e.g. into something like the CAB M, without a dummy load or anything attached.

Still not sure about the solid-state Ampeg though, since they're kinda rare and not too popular.

The preamp stage of an amp doesn't typically require to be loaded per say. Only the power amp section where there is a transformer sending signal out. Of course, only using the preamp section deprives you of the full tone and feel of the amp.

The preamp stage of an amp doesn't typically require to be loaded per say. Only the power amp section where there is a transformer sending signal out. Of course, only using the preamp section deprives you of the full tone and feel of the amp.

Of course! ;)

This is a possibility with the LAB's though, I guess running the preamp directly into the CAB M's power amp sims would sound decent enough.

You don't need a load for these amps. And SS amps really don't benefit from attenuation.

Just run the speaker out of the amp into the Cab M+ (with the input pad set to the max setting so you don't clip the Cab M) and run your IRs from there. This is completely safe with a SS amp.

Last edited:
You don't need a load for these amps. And SS amps really don't benefit from attenuation.

Just run the speaker out of the amp into the Cab M+ (with the input pad set to the msx setting so you don't clip the Cab M) and run your IRs from there. This is completely safe with a SS amp.
Thanks so much for that!

Back