Smaller expression pedals for Helix?

I took the advice here and swapped the volume pedal to the onboard one and used the missions for the wah.....Holy guacamole man!!!! SOoooooooo much better, it was actually useless for me to use the mission pedals as a volume pedal and really I was using them more like a switch, the onboard is AWESOME for volume....are you guys doing linear or log? Either way is working ok for me

I love the onboard pedal for volume, very similar to the big EB volume I gigged for years. I prefer the logarithmic setting by a long shot. I tried a new patch at a gig last weekend and thought something was wrong with my volume pedal, in that patch I had it set to linear by mistake so it’s a noticeable difference to me.

I hate lugging the gutted crybaby for wah stuff because I don’t use wah all that much, but it’s easier and lighter than lugging the Teese way around. I really want a smaller exp pedal for that if I can find one that feels right to me.

D

I have both the full size and mini Dunlop expression pedals. You have to flip a dip switch inside and then swap the polarity in Helix/HX, but I love 'em.

100% agree. Especially the full-size ones are heavy AF, but they're so rugged and reliable - I'm under the impression nothing could ever destroy them.

100% agree. Especially the full-size ones are heavy AF, but they're so rugged and reliable - I'm under the impression nothing could ever destroy them.

A quick follow-up: i needed a smaller expression pedal for myself. Went to a music store, tried the Dunlop X Mini, and it came back home with me.

pedal-volume-jim-dunlop-dvp4-x-mini-preto_4_922.jpg

It's tiny, too, and built like a tank. Highly recommended.

A quick follow-up: i needed a smaller expression pedal for myself. Went to a music store, tried the Dunlop X Mini, and it came back home with me.

pedal-volume-jim-dunlop-dvp4-x-mini-preto_4_922.jpg

It's tiny, too, and built like a tank. Highly recommended.
I've been considering this one, or the in between model of the same thing. I've never gotten big at using expression pedals for anything more than a volume or wah though. It always seems like too much of a chore to setup or too much effort to figure out how you want to use it.

I've been considering this one, or the in between model of the same thing. I've never gotten big at using expression pedals for anything more than a volume or wah though. It always seems like too much of a chore to setup or too much effort to figure out how you want to use it.

If you want a small exp/volume pedal, i'd say go for it. Not the cheapest option, but it's really really good.

And tiny. Pairs beautifully with my Stomp XL.

PXL_20230307_195735457.jpg

Last edited:
How does it feel for wah with that one? The mission pedals I have are just too short of a throw
I'm the opposite, I feel like the mission one is just like a crybaby like I grew up on, and the (for examples), Morley Bad Horsie, Helix Floor onboard exp pedal, and M-Audio exp pedal that I have, are all too long of a throw for wah.

My cheapie M-Audio one isn't that bad honestly, and I could use it if I had to.

Fractal EV-2! Best mini expression pedal I've ever owned. Built like a fucking tank!

How does it feel for wah with that one? The mission pedals I have are just too short of a throw

Quite good, but it is a mini pedal. It's definitely not as long as, say, an Ernie Ball.

Honestly, it took me but 5 minutes to get used to the thing.

Do you have to mess with the internals on this one to get it to work with HX or no?

No, not at all. Plugged it to my Stomp XL's expression input, and it worked straight away.

I was warned that a polarity switch change might be needed, or that the Stomp could require configuring the exp pedal input to reverse travel, but none was necessary. I took a picture of the stock dip switch settings though, in case anyone's interested.

PXL_20230307_221516996.jpg

No, not at all. Plugged it to my Stomp XL's expression input, and it worked straight away.

I was warned that a polarity switch change might be needed, or that the Stomp could require configuring the exp pedal input to reverse travel, but none was necessary. I took a picture of the stock dip switch settings though, in case anyone's interested.

View attachment 4828
Great! I have one and am on the fence about getting a stomp so was curious. Thanks for sharing

Do you have to buy a separate mounting plate for the bottom for velcro like the mission pedals?

Hmmm not sure. The bottom plate is solid metal, and covered in hard rubber. I'm putting thin felt pads on mine, but i have no plans for pedalboard usage.

What full sized pedals feel like Helix Floor's onboard pedal?

I'd possibly start looking at Ernie Ball. The oldfashioned volume pedals (of which I still have one, so I could compare them 1:1) is a lot bigger but the travel range is kinda comparable, also, they're really solid, so if that is one of the things you like with the Helix pedal, that's covered. I think their newer models are even closer in size and travel range.
The Boss pedals have a comparable travel range, too, but the ones I had don't feel as solid (they are very solid, though, just pretty lightweight in comparison).
The Lehle ones look good, too, never tried one myself, so I can't tell how they feel. And they're very expensive
And actually, even if it's quite smaller, I think of the Hotone Soulpress II to feel sort of similar, once you adopted to the size. At least I wasn't even remotely irritated after switching.

Back