Smaller expression pedals for Helix?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I have the silly priced Mission Pedals for my Helix, but if I could get smaller expression pedals, I may be able to fit a tonex pedal on my board, are there any that work well? I know there are a lot of threads about how you will kill baby puppies and your mom if you use anything but the mission pedals, but hoping there are some sane ideas here

I have the silly priced Mission Pedals for my Helix, but if I could get smaller expression pedals, I may be able to fit a tonex pedal on my board, are there any that work well? I know there are a lot of threads about how you will kill baby puppies and your mom if you use anything but the mission pedals, but hoping there are some sane ideas here
Dunlop mini is a good one. Excellent middle ground of size, price, and quality. I tried a melo audio off of Amazon and it was super tiny but I wasn't a huge fan. Depending on how often you use it, it may suffice

Mooer has a really cool one with foldable flaps. Unfortunately (for me) it requires power to work, but if that's not an impediment it might be a good choice.

fDGBlraeQV-dtJACbb3w9A.jpg

Last edited:
I've been trying to find in the manual of Helix exactly how the port is wired, I swear my Mission pedals only use a single TS connector

I've used my Dunlop mini for my Stomp, Katana and MIDI Commander. Haven't tried it with my HXF

Played a show recently w a dude who had mounted a mooer expression pedal on his lt. Said the expression pedal broke and so he just wired one up. Was a little bigger than than one posted above but smaller than the stock one. He said it worked fine

Ok, while we're at smaller expression pedals: Do you folks happen to know of any small (!) expression pedals with toe switches, allowing you to switch between EXP functions? Pretty much what the Mission pedals are doing but in a smaller form factor.
Or, even better: A Wah/EXP pedal? This is what I would *really* love to have. Right now, I'm using a Hotone Soulpress II Wah/Vol, which is excellent and even has an additional EXP out - but while you could make the pedal to either switch between off and wah or volume and wah, the expression out is always active.
Fwiw, @pipelineaudio, the Soulpress is rather compact, too - but I guess you'd be wasting money for the wah functionality in case you were only using it for expression duties.

I’ve researched this myself and there is no other pedal that does what the mission pedal does. I considered modding a soul press or mooer free step, but just haven’t had the bandwidth.

Why in the world would they make it so that it had to be powered?

Apparently it's an offshoot of their wah line. The pedal is optical, and has some nice features (like detecting when your foot is on for engaging) but... yeah. I would've bought one already if that weren't the case.

@pipelineaudio , you might want to check the Digitech Mini Expression Pedal as well. That one is small, and has a selector to change the output wiring.

Mini-Expression-details-2.jpg
DOD-MIni-Expression-Guitar-Pedal-Rear-1200x1200-1.jpg

I have both the full size and mini Dunlop expression pedals. You have to flip a dip switch inside and then swap the polarity in Helix/HX, but I love 'em.

I’ve got a Roland ev-5 and an old crybaby that I gutted to make into an expression pedal that sit on a small board in the pocket of the helix backpack. I’ve been meaning to replace them with something smaller and lighter. The ev-5 has held up for many years across several rigs, but I’m always nervous it’s going to break.

Does the Dunlop mini feel right when used as a wah? Some wah parts are just hard to play right with something that isn’t the real thing. Been curious if the Dunlop mini is close enough.

D

Does the Dunlop mini feel right when used as a wah? Some wah parts are just hard to play right with something that isn’t the real thing. Been curious if the Dunlop mini is close enough.

D
Good question, I haven't tried a mini exp, but I do have the Mooer Wahter, which I really like, and I'd much rather use my Mission EP for wah. Nothing else feels right to me.
And does that still work as a double function thing?
I don't know, I have only used it for wah, and since it has a switch (for my Stomp XL), I do the, "wristband rubber band at the heel thing" to activate it after 5%.

I DID use it for 2 functions on my XL, heel down/toe down was tremolo on/off, or as a volume pedal, and the switch was for the wah. I just don't know how you'd do that for the Helix Floor.

I took the advice here and swapped the volume pedal to the onboard one and used the missions for the wah.....Holy guacamole man!!!! SOoooooooo much better, it was actually useless for me to use the mission pedals as a volume pedal and really I was using them more like a switch, the onboard is AWESOME for volume....are you guys doing linear or log? Either way is working ok for me

I DID use it for 2 functions on my XL, heel down/toe down was tremolo on/off, or as a volume pedal, and the switch was for the wah. I just don't know how you'd do that for the Helix Floor.

Well, I'd actually not want to deal with any fancy heel down switching (tried it and it wasn't for me), was just wondering. I think there's another Mission pedal with TRS out and even yet another one with two outs.

Anyway, all I want is a plain wah/vol pedal all the time. As said, I got that Soulpress, but unfortunately, as the first thing in the signal chain it won't work too well as a volume pedal. Guess I'll just have to add another pedal (which I kind of hate, but that's what you get when you don't get along with any all-in-one modeler).

Back