Sire H7 oh and 68 Gibson 345 .

Eagle

Shredder
IMG_3460.jpeg

Not fair comparing these but hey🤣
No really they are both in for work and I will add to this over the next week.
The 68 has electric problems and some none original wiring and the owner wants it converted to 335 wiring with the choke removed and tha varitone disconnected. A good idea considering the wiring is already not standard.
The Sire is in for new tuners and a full rewire with quality parts. Antiquity paf, CTS pots and a switchcraft switch. It will be a lot better but still a bargain?? If it ever was.

That Sire headstock is...something else :oops: Why 'Stereo' on the Gibby truss rod cover? Is there a second jack I am missing or is the jack originally supposed to be a stereo one?

One thing to note is the cost of the parts I am fitting to the H7 close to double the price. But even at that you still need to multiply it by about six to get to the Gibson.

I know there were some people at the FAS forum who would be grinding their teeth waiting for more posts from Andy in this thread!!!

I am! As a new Epi ES-335 owner I want to see how daunting it would be to replace electronics the right way
It's frankly a pain in the ass and God help you if you didn't tie some string to the pots and jack before they go through their holes in the cavity. Much easier to fish them back in place with the strings.

Swapping the pickups on my Yamaha SA-1200S was certainly an adventure I'd rather not repeat.

I am! As a new Epi ES-335 owner I want to see how daunting it would be to replace electronics the right way

Depending on how they're building them now you might be able to go in through the bridge pickup rout to Swop electronics in your epiphone. I was able to do that on a Korean epiphone riviera I rewired for a friend. It wasn't that bad going in that way.

@Eagle are there any decent bargain semi hollows you’ve seen? Or do you have to pony up to the MIA level?

@Eagle what are your thoughts on Cort Guitars, the higher end models Like the G300 and G280?
They seem to offer really great price performance, and seeing Cort builds for so many other OEM they might know a thing or 2 about building good guitars

noob question, how do you install the pot on a guitar like that, it doesn't have the back plate right ? to access the electronic :puppet

noob question, how do you install the pot on a guitar like that, it doesn't have the back plate right ? to access the electronic :puppet
Generally you tie some string or pop some rubber surgical tube on the shaft and unscrew the pot. Then remove a pickup and feed it out through there. Then it's relatively easy to get it back by pulling the string/tube out the pot hole.

Reactions: 621
Some H7 stuff
IMG_3467.jpeg

Wonky tuners
IMG_3468.jpeg
IMG_3475.jpeg

Different wood on the headstock.
IMG_3470.jpeg

Poor wood work covered with ver thick poly. Not even flat on the side of the heel.
IMG_3471.jpeg

Just sloppy with thick poly.
IMG_3472.jpeg

Gap under pickup cover
IMG_3477.jpeg

Broken solder joint
IMG_3473.jpeg

Bushing hole not deep enough.