Trifecta

Attachments

• 20230310_061651.jpg
    20230310_061651.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20211202_053532.jpg
    20211202_053532.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
So my love affair with the above '97 CU22 ^^^ has me looking at an '07 McCarty. :)

A few questions, if any PRS experts can help:

- are the vintage-style tuners still locking?
- what were the stock pickups like (they're just called “McCarty”?
- was the fret size similar to this CU22?

I found this 2007 spec sheet, which is cool but doesn't have that info.

Thanks!

IMG_2872.jpeg

So my love affair with the above '97 CU22 ^^^ has me looking at an '07 McCarty. :)

A few questions, if any PRS experts can help:

- are the vintage-style tuners still locking?
- what were the stock pickups like (they're just called “McCarty”?
- was the fret size similar to this CU22?

I found this 2007 spec sheet, which is cool but doesn't have that info.

Thanks!

View attachment 8842

McCarty tuners from that era (I don’t know about more recent ones) were not locking tuners. I have one, and it doesn’t need them. My McCarty is the most stable guitar I have for holding it’s tuning.

The McCarty pickups are just called McCarty pickups. They’re a PAF pickup that is fairly balanced and full bodied. Like any pickup, some people like them and some don’t. Many people changed them out only to eventually go back to them (I did too).

Fret size should be the same.

D

McCarty tuners from that era (I don’t know about more recent ones) were not locking tuners. I have one, and it doesn’t need them. My McCarty is the most stable guitar I have for holding it’s tuning.

The McCarty pickups are just called McCarty pickups. They’re a PAF pickup that is fairly balanced and full bodied. Like any pickup, some people like them and some don’t. Many people changed them out only to eventually go back to them (I did too).

Fret size should be the same.

D

Thanks, much appreciated! :beer

Here are my 3 babies! All 2021 supermodels!!

From L to R - CU24 10Top - Private Stock CU24 built for 2021 Winter NAMM - McCarty 594 HBII Wood Library

PRS_Collection_2022Apr14_03.jpg

Name explanations and specs:
Birtha Luna Bluvi is a CU24 10Top in Violet Blue burst (that is color naming from the factory). I personally think it looks more like a blue with violet burst. This guitar was "born" (hang tag date) on Jan 28, 2021 which was a full moon, therefore it is called Birtha (my made up word for born on - birth combined with Bertha) Luna (moon) Bluvi (blue violet). Ebony fretboard and flame maple 10 top. 85/15 pups. Since this photo was taken, I have put stained maple tuner buttons, TRC and backplates on this one along with ebony control knobs with bird inlays.

Wolfy Moonamm is Birtha's twin brother. He too was born on Jan 28, 2021 (written on back of headstock) and is also a CU24. Differences from his twin sister Birtha is he is Private Stock, has a two piece bridge system, 58/15 pups, McCarty body thickness, Hormigo (aka Grenadillo) fretboard, headstock overlay and tuner buttons, African Ribbon Mahogany body, Fiddleback Mahogany neck and quilted maple top. The name is derived from the Wolf Moon under which he was born, coupled with the NAMM event he was built for, which is displayed on the headstock banner underneath the eagle (it reads 2021 Winter NAMM). So Wolfy (wolf moon) Moon+NAMM. Since this photo was taken I have put stained maple tuner buttons and TRC along with ebony control knobs with bird inlays.

Hoorman Gitfiddle was my first PRSi and is the one that I am playing 95% of the time (largely due to it's lighter weight 5.6lbs compared to 7.6 and 7.2 for the other pair). The other ones I can play for 60-90 minutes before they start diggin' in and making me uncomfortable. This one I can wear for 6 hours straight with no issues. His name comes from a friend who's last name is Hoorman who turned me on to the slang term of "gitfiddle" when referring to guitars. He is a McCarty 594 HBII Wood Library from Ish Guitars. It is a VERY rare one piece maple front and back (bookmatched front to back) in Jade burst (so they claim) but I see no burst myself. I have only seen 6 other HB's with one piece front and back (and two of them popped up just recently, wish I had the cash to snag them), and none of them were bookmatched front to back best I could tell. Since this photo was taken I have put different control knobs on it (green and gold sparkle buttons from Crazy Parts in Germany, they look fantastic and I will update all photos someday).

In the future I hope to acquire a Santana, MEV, Vela, JA-15, SC-J and a Spruce top HB ;~))

Back