Shot In The Dark live with Zakk.

I’m not a fan of Zakk per se but really enjoyed his albums with Ozzy. No More Tears was a huge part of my musical formation. He’s a really good and clean player and should do just fine. And he’s funny and fairly humble so we’ll deserving.

pinch harmonics were invented to be overused.
A long time ago I was trimming a house for an older guy, and working late one Friday, and after wrapping up for the evening, we got on the topic of guitars, because as I was walking around the house, I made a comment of how great the acoustics were in there. Big open Great Room, with hardwood floors and no furniture sounds amazing. So he's like, "Go get your stuff!"

So I wheel in my Marshall half stack and my LP, and start playing, and he's like, "Stop. stop! What did you just do?" I had hit a pinch harmonic, and he had never heard one! So I showed him how to do it, and he just stood there, ping, ping, pd, ping, for like the next half hour until the cops knocked on the door! He was like a kid who had just discovered how lighter fluid and a pack of matches makes for some great fun in the woods! I couldn't get the guitar out of his hands.

Love that story, Tom. That was the one essential move back in the day. Maybe more than any two-handed tapping.

I remember working on it for hours to get the right mixture of flesh and pick, and at the right place along the length
of the string I was playing on. There is something magical about it. You can still rip a solo and if you hit a pinch harmonic
out of the blue people immediately take notice---even if they weren't totally listening before that.

Zakk's like......

Yeah, and that was just straight into the Marshall, with I think SD JB pickup. Course, we did have it cranked!!

You can still rip a solo and if you hit a pinch harmonic out of the blue
I get some that surprise me. Like ending a riff with an upstroke, and catching it with the tip of my index finger. That's a nice one, since it's the final note!

Or every now and again I'll catch one with my palm while I'm tapping.

I get some that surprise me. Like ending a riff with an upstroke, and catching it with the tip of my index finger. That's a nice one, since it's the final note!

Or every now and again I'll catch one with my palm while I'm tapping.

I actually had an odd way of getting them when I first started playing; because I was basically copying everything Gilmour did, I’d keep the whammy bar cupped in my hand the whole time, so my knuckles would be curled inwards. My ring finger knuckle would occasionally hit a string and make a harmonic and I was having a bitch of a time getting them the traditional way with my thumb, so I just worked it into my technique and still use that knuckle way for the E, A and D strings, but use my thumb for the G, B and E strings.

I LOVE hearing pinch harmonics. But d@mned if I can ever do them on command in the context of a riff :cuss Always bugged me too!

So Sirius does this thing where they play live tracks. And sometimes you don't know where they were from (what live album, who is on it, blahblahblah). I found a Live and Loud(?) Ozzy thing with this track but Zakk was a little more, um; Zakk on it.

So either this was restrained early Zakk or it was Gus G and I wasn't aware. Not sure if I have a way to find out :rofl Whoever it was was an EXCELLENT combination of an original flawless composition for a solo played by someone who painted outside those lines in a respectful yet fantastic way.

So maybe not Zakk after all :hmm

Ozzy did this little live EP before No More Tears (or right around the same time) called Just Say Ozzy. It's out of print, but Zakk is fucking insane on it. I've never heard him play like that on anything else. 3 songs from No Rest for the Wicked album, along with Shot in the Dark, Sweat Leaf, and a killer War Pigs.

I remember when Live and Loud was released; I was so excited to get a full live album of him playing like that, but nope... That and the mix absolutely sucked. I listened to it twice and then never again. I still listen to Just Say Ozzy every time I remember it, lol. This is pretty close but not quite the same, but bonus of Geezer -

But now when I see you said composition, it could be Gus. That dude is crazy good. If you haven't heard it, check out Gus G's solo album Fearless. Best album Ozzy never made :D

Edit: Now that I've re-read your quoted post, you are probably heard a Gus G version. What I am referring to is Zakk zakking to the Nth degree. The word restrained does not fit here, lol.... :D

Last edited:
Ozzy did this little live EP before No More Tears (or right around the same time) called Just Say Ozzy. It's out of print, but Zakk is f*****g insane on it. I've never heard him play like that on anything else. 3 songs from No Rest for the Wicked album, along with Shot in the Dark, Sweat Leaf, and a killer War Pigs.

I remember when Live and Loud was released; I was so excited to get a full live album of him playing like that, but nope... That and the mix absolutely sucked. I listened to it twice and then never again. I still listen to Just Say Ozzy every time I remember it, lol. This is pretty close but not quite the same, but bonus of Geezer -

But now when I see you said composition, it could be Gus. That dude is crazy good. If you haven't heard it, check out Gus G's solo album Fearless. Best album Ozzy never made :D

Edit: Now that I've re-read your quoted post, you are probably heard a Gus G version. What I am referring to is Zakk zakking to the Nth degree. The word restrained does not fit here, lol.... :D

Holy shit. That is Geezer Butler. He played "Shot In The Dark?" Seems so un Geezer-like. I wonder if he still hates himself for it. :LOL:

Ozzy did this little live EP before No More Tears (or right around the same time) called Just Say Ozzy. It's out of print, but Zakk is f*****g insane on it. I've never heard him play like that on anything else. 3 songs from No Rest for the Wicked album, along with Shot in the Dark, Sweat Leaf, and a killer War Pigs.

Sounds awesome.

Is this it?

This is my favorite Gus G band. This solo is like if Yngwie tried to out Yngwie himself. In the best way possible

I LOVE hearing pinch harmonics. But d@mned if I can ever do them on command in the context of a riff :cuss Always bugged me too!
A lot of it is in the pickups. I recently got my first guitar with emg’s in it and the harmonics jump off of it effortlessly. Guess what pickups are in Zakk’s LP’s?

Massive amount of gain, and always high output pickups.

Once you get it you can always get it, but it’s easier that way.

I can get them on low output single coils anymore…

I really didn’t want Zakk to do this, but fuck it. If he can contain himself he has the rhythm and the chops to do it.

Dime had a unique voice, the slides and the bends and he needs to get that or this isn’t going to sound good. I think he’s a good enough guitarist to make this happen tho…

Some wonderful person just uploaded footage of the soundcheck from tonight's show to IG. It sounds great. If only the idiot would have stfu and let Phil sing in the recording :cussZakk is playing it classy and really keeps his stamp to the solo. Which still sounds like it's following the original where it needs to. If Philisn't completely croaking it out; this will be good \m/

Some wonderful person just uploaded footage of the soundcheck from tonight's show to IG. It sounds great. If only the idiot would have stfu and let Phil sing in the recording :cussZakk is playing it classy and really keeps his stamp to the solo. Which still sounds like it's following the original where it needs to. If Philisn't completely croaking it out; this will be good \m/

Not bad! From what I could hear of Phil, he was actually singing it more there than he was in ‘96 when he just screamed everything. :rofl

Man, even though it’s not Vinnie and Dime, the second the drums and guitars came in, it still had the same weight as Pantera, the drums sound spot on. I know they’ve got a bunch of guys from the Pantera days doing this tour with them, I wouldn’t be surprised if Aaron is still doing FOH.

I wonder if we’ll hear Zakk play a little more on-the-beat as time goes on with this one. That might be one of the harder things to nail with Dime’s playing; with some stuff he was right on the beat and other stuff he was dragging behind it. Zakk, well, in this stage of his career, tends to be a little behind it and you can hear it in that vid, I know he’s not used to playing with a hard gate, but if he did, it’d go a long way into tightening those starts/stops up! Solo was pretty much exactly what I was expecting to hear, though he wasn’t going crazy with the pinch harmonics as much as I figured he would in the outro of the solo.

Not bad! From what I could hear of Phil, he was actually singing it more there than he was in ‘96 when he just screamed everything. :rofl

Man, even though it’s not Vinnie and Dime, the second the drums and guitars came in, it still had the same weight as Pantera, the drums sound spot on. I know they’ve got a bunch of guys from the Pantera days doing this tour with them, I wouldn’t be surprised if Aaron is still doing FOH.

I wonder if we’ll hear Zakk play a little more on-the-beat as time goes on with this one. That might be one of the harder things to nail with Dime’s playing; with some stuff he was right on the beat and other stuff he was dragging behind it. Zakk, well, in this stage of his career, tends to be a little behind it and you can hear it in that vid, I know he’s not used to playing with a hard gate, but if he did, it’d go a long way into tightening those starts/stops up! Solo was pretty much exactly what I was expecting to hear, though he wasn’t going crazy with the pinch harmonics as much as I figured he would in the outro of the solo.
People in the comments section were ripping Zakk and name dropping every YouTuber that has their own Dimebag channel and how they were the perfect fit for the band. I pretty much want Zakk to shake off any sort of uncomfortability and Dimebag-associated rust he might have and just rip everyone's face off.

Back