Schecter USA - talk to me

Achilles

Rock Star
Never owned or even played one. How do they stack up?
The Nick Johnston strat caught my eye last night and the specs on it are :chef

schecter-nick-johnson-strat-atomic-snow-2018-cons-full-front.jpg

1717773520883.png

No first hand experience but I'm heard nothing but 100% praise for Schecter USA - seems all that have tried one have been blown away.

And I know you want a strat type but if you have the opportunity to try a EBMM Luke IV (sss variety), you should!

I can’t speak for the USA models but I have the Diamond series Nick Johnston and it’s a well made guitar. The neck is thin but the fretboard radius is very flat kind of like an old Ibanez Wizard neck.( well maybe not that thin) but the fret job was very well done and the ebony fingerboard was really nice. If the USA models are anything like the Indonesian models it will be a great guitar.

I can’t speak for the USA models but I have the Diamond series Nick Johnston and it’s a well made guitar. The neck is thin but the fretboard radius is very flat kind of like an old Ibanez Wizard neck.( well maybe not that thin) but the fret job was very well done and the ebony fingerboard was really nice. If the USA models are anything like the Indonesian models it will be a great guitar.

Glad you chimed in because I'm looking hard at the Indo ones considering the price difference to USA!

Glad you chimed in because I'm looking hard at the Indo ones considering the price difference to USA!

I had one of the Indo models. Nice guitar. The only minor knock I had was the thin/cheapish feeling tone/volume knobs and selector switch. No big deal because they put the money where it counts on everything else on the guitar and you can easily swap them out. Otherwise the only other thing I didn’t like was the Diamond Series text under the Schecter logo. Like bro, let’s not broadcast I didn’t buy the USA model. :ROFLMAO: But they also put a wall of text on the USA models under the Schecter logo. I’m not a fan of a bunch of text on a guitar in general though, so that is for sure my OCD kicking in.

I’ve had nothing but good experiences of late with Schecter. Bought my Banshee Mach 7 after the Nick Johnston and love it. Thinking about getting the Corsair semi-hollowbody too.

Both Pitbull Audio and Music Store Live are local and they each have one on Reverb.

(I think they both used the same stock photos for their listing :LOL:)

dx5kgittrn5gxztof20o.jpg

Had them competing all morning on the best price.
And the winner is.....

good doggy!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I own an indonesian Nick Johnston HSS as well. Turned out to become my No.1 for live (replacing a Tom Anderson and/or a G&L Legacy), but I had to replace the vibrato and single coils. I just vastly prefer a Gotoh 510 over their own vibrato (it's not bad by any means, though) and as far as the pickups go, while I wanted noiseless ones anyway, I thought I could at least leave them in for a while, but they sounded incredibly lifeless. Also, they have a cap soldered in to tame the highs by default, which really had me wondering as they still sounded pretty harsh. The american ones are supposed to have better pickups. The bridge humbucker is fine, though, just doesn't sound great splitted (I added that option).
Fwiw, I also ripped out all the electronics in favour of a super switch and CTS pots.

Both Pitbull Audio and Music Store Live are local and they each have one on Reverb.

(I think they both used the same stock photos for their listing :LOL:)

View attachment 23790

Had them competing all morning on the best price.
And the winner is.....

good doggy!
giphy.gif
Love the looks of this guitar. Schecter really has done a pretty good turnaround from their abalone overdose days.

I always thought the USA model with wenge neck was cool, never played it though. Nick is great.

The USA version is very good but the budget one is disproportionately good so it’s not a straight forward choice. A few minor upgrades to the budget one and they are pretty similar. If the country of origin doesn’t matter to you that’s far better value.

Last edited:
I agreed with @Eagle, I played both the US and the import version in the store and they are very good guitars.
For my taste the neck was to thin but if you like thinner necks you can’t go wrong with both.

Just to be clear, I'm getting the USA version for a number of reasons.

1. I do prefer necks on the thicker side these days.
2. Between bad eyes and shaky hands it isn't fun modding stuff anymore.
3. If I bought the import I'd have a little FOMO voice in my head every time I picked it up.
4. You bust your ass and save your money in order to spend some when you're older. (y)

note: COO has nothing to do with it - I've owned a number of Strandbergs from Indonesia.

Looking at my stable and what I will need in the future Im leaning more towards a SSS build, a partscaster while nice may prove to be too Expensive
The Schechter Nick looks really nice with minor mods (Pickup swap) and would keep me under 2K CDN
and yes there is an Excel sheet for this :grin

Looking at my stable and what I will need in the future Im leaning more towards a SSS build, a partscaster while nice may prove to be too Expensive
The Schechter Nick looks really nice with minor mods (Pickup swap) and would keep me under 2K CDN
and yes there is an Excel sheet for this :grin
Awesome Mike !!!
Atomic Frost ?

Back