Running my DAW through my live mixer set up. Almost too much latency.

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
So, I have some plugins that I really want to start using live on vocals only because they are better than whats built in to my mixer. I have my interface rate set to 48000 and sample buffer set to 64 or 128 (tried both) and it seems like I am getting way more latency that I should be getting. It's not a deal breaker but just enough to irritate me. I only have a compressor, 31 band eq and a hall reverb at the moment. I took those out and it doesn't change as far as latency goes. My Win10 laptop is more than powerful enough to run this stuff so it's sticking in my craw.

Any clues where to look in general to try and get this latency reduced? Reaper on a Ryzen 5 laptop with 32gb ram and a Samsung EVO SSD.

Also check out these videos and see if they help. I had issues with the stock buffer settings causing glitching when I was editing MIDI files in Reaper too and fixed it with a YT video.

So, I have some plugins that I really want to start using live on vocals only because they are better than whats built in to my mixer. I have my interface rate set to 48000 and sample buffer set to 64 or 128 (tried both) and it seems like I am getting way more latency that I should be getting. It's not a deal breaker but just enough to irritate me. I only have a compressor, 31 band eq and a hall reverb at the moment. I took those out and it doesn't change as far as latency goes. My Win10 laptop is more than powerful enough to run this stuff so it's sticking in my craw.

Any clues where to look in general to try and get this latency reduced? Reaper on a Ryzen 5 laptop with 32gb ram and a Samsung EVO SSD.

My inclination is that your Behringer is the bottleneck in your audio latency. If you set the buffer size to 64 samples and it's still noticeable then the problem is almost certainly inherent in the audio interface. They might just have a large internal buffer. Most, if not all, audio interfaces have a buffer size setting that you can change, as you know, but they also include an internal buffer that is sometimes called a safety buffer. My bet is that Berhingers safety buffer is pretty high. Some manufactures let you adjust both settings, like on my MOTU.

Have you measure the round trip latency yet, using a loop back cable? That'll give you the REAL latency regardless of what the drivers are telling you.

The behringer and SSL both use the same drivers (thesycon). There’s a hundreds of pages thread at safe space from daw guru vin curgliano of DAWBench fame showing real round trip latency numbers and performance. Many or most of the 16, 32, 48 and 64 settings on TheSycon drivers are all the same RTL. If you are going USB, no matter how fancy the name (hillarious how this applies to Neve and especially their sycophants) and you are not using an RME interface, there is much pain in your future. All that babbling aside, we were able to run a Midas M32 at low enough RTL to keep all the artists happy. And pretty much click free at 128 samples, which I think was around 12-14 milliseconds RTL

Back