Anyone using their DAW/Interface for gigs? Help please.

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I figured this was the best place for this. I don't have a complex requirement like MIDI automation of anything like that. I simply want to use some of my VST's in a live setting when doing gigs. If it helps, here is the gear and software I want to use. I tried it before but was getting terrible latency.

Behringer UMC 202HD
Windows Laptop with i7, 16 gb ram and 256gb SSD
Reaper version 6.8 OR Mixcraft Pro Studio 10.

I want to use various VST's like Native, Lexicon verbs for vocals, EZKeys, EZDrummer 3 (for latin percusssion sounds) and Korg Wavestation for my MIDI controller. Etc etc.

Not sure what I did wrong. Set it to ASIO, Buffer of 128, and ran the R/L main out's to 2 combo inputs on my Soundcraft Ui24R. Now when I do this same thing into my JBL powered studio monitors, the latency is undetectable but going into the Soundcraft the latency seems like north of 25ms. Unacceptable.

Yes I can use the Soundcraft as an interface but that opens another whole can of worms that I refuse to get into.

What could I be doing wrong? I really want to do this. It will make gigs so much better and easier.

Is it cumulative latency from multiple devices with their own A/D/A conversions going on?

• 100%
Reactions: JT
I am a glutton for punishment I know LOL.
Turning Natalie Portman GIF by foxhorror

Have you tried a different mixer?

What version of Windows?

Are you running anything else (including have you ensured there are no background programs running)?

Can you laptop support an M.2 drive (way faster than SSD drives if system can support it)?

Can you increase RAM or are you maxed out?

Have you run any testing on the unit for latency to try and find bottlenecks?

I too would like to do something similar down the road, but have not even started testing as I am pretty sure that the latency will prevent me from doing what I want. I will follow this closely and if I think of any other ideas, I will be sure to post them.

What version of Windows?

Are you running anything else (including have you ensured there are no background programs running)?

Can you laptop support an M.2 drive (way faster than SSD drives if system can support it)?

Can you increase RAM or are you maxed out?

Have you run any testing on the unit for latency to try and find bottlenecks?

I too would like to do something similar down the road, but have not even started testing as I am pretty sure that the latency will prevent me from doing what I want. I will follow this closely and if I think of any other ideas, I will be sure to post them.

Windows 10 Home

No the laptop is fully optimized for DAW use only.

I don't think it will take an M2

I think it will take up to 32GB with the latest BIOS Firmware

I have run LatencyMon many times. Always reports the laptop as being suitable for audio recording

I was working on this Bringing the Studio to the Stage a while back doing just this, when this sort of thing was a lot harder. It was still quite doable. I was using reaper live configs with some lbX scripts all controlled by a behringer fcb 1010. Worked great back then and I think it was 5th or 6th gen i5.

Back