Rockman Sustainor Model 200

FuzzyAce

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I loved this unit and used it in the studio years ago. But it was the studio owner's unit -- wish I would have bought it off him back then.:cry:

Used prices have been going up and you never know what kind of work you may have to do on them at that age...

Question: Has anyone or any company done a faithful digital modeling of this unit or any of the Rockmans from this time period?

Ok, so found this plugin. I vaguely remember something like it, maybe it was this vendor.

Looks like it does a pretty good job, and only $29. Might be worth a try.

I got to wire up a studio for Boston's newer drummer and had nonstop questions about Scholz and his soldering iron. The guy was so insanely ahead of his time. I would love to be able to get the chorus like this on the Helix...I think we can probably get the delay there...very smart use of an attack reducing circuit! Also loved probably the first sort of multiband noisegate that I can think of

I got to wire up a studio for Boston's newer drummer and had nonstop questions about Scholz and his soldering iron. The guy was so insanely ahead of his time. I would love to be able to get the chorus like this on the Helix...I think we can probably get the delay there...very smart use of an attack reducing circuit! Also loved probably the first sort of multiband noisegate that I can think of
Not to mention Scholz' song writing, engineering and production skills as well. Dude is a phenom, genius, whatever you want to call him.

I ended up grabbing that plugin above. Couldn't pass on it for $30. I even like the boss style effects in the plugin interface.
So far it's pretty dang good at getting that Sustainor sound. Maybe slightly less gain available from the hardware based on my memory, but a separate boost into the front helps with that. The chorus and delay is great too. Literally just got this yesterday but plan on doing some tracks with it soon.

The Satch collection on AmpliTube 5 has a Rockman in it, though not the Sustainor module, I don’t think. regardless, to me it has “that sound”, and I’m a huge Boston fan. It’s an absolute blast to mess with!

The Satch collection on AmpliTube 5 has a Rockman in it, though not the Sustainor module, I don’t think. regardless, to me it has “that sound”, and I’m a huge Boston fan. It’s an absolute blast to mess with!
I feel dumb now, forgot I had AmpliTube 5 lol. I haven't used it in forever. Glad to know there are Satch settings. (y)

I was wondering what their deal is, as I just saw their Mutron Bi-Phase and OCD releases. They just clone stuff once it stops being produced?
Pretty much clones. They seem to focus on building mostly iconic pieces where the originals are way more expensive and harder to come by. They've definitely carved out a niche. I think it was a very smart move to get into the pedal market too.

I spent about 2 hrs late last "night" diving into the Overloud plugin. It's great, and the chorus/delay rack is worth the price alone I think.
The sustain and chorus modules on their own are good -- they get you there -- but I feel it's much better boosting the front end with their SD drive module, and a little pre eq. It helps bring more of those harmonics out that made THAT sound so good. I was going to record but I got carried away and just jammed on it til I couldn't keep my eyes open. That's a good sign. I think this will satisfy my lust for the real thing, although a hardware version would be awesome one day.

Pretty much clones. They seem to focus on building mostly iconic pieces where the originals are way more expensive and harder to come by. They've definitely carved out a niche. I think it was a very smart move to get into the pedal market too.

Interesting. I was wondering what their story was. Prices are fair too.

I've only played an OCD once which is shocking considering how prolific it is. I liked it from what I remember.

I have a buddy back east that worked for them (I think in Rhode Island) for as long as they were around. He has a bunch of Rockman stuff. I should ask him if he has a sustainer and if he'd part with it. I personally never liked any of the Rockman stuff I tried so it's never been on my radar really.

I have a buddy back east that worked for them (I think in Rhode Island) for as long as they were around. He has a bunch of Rockman stuff. I should ask him if he has a sustainer and if he'd part with it. I personally never liked any of the Rockman stuff I tried so it's never been on my radar really.
That's awesome. Doesn't hurt to ask, but no pressure from me Bob. You've peaked my interest though.

The sustainor is pretty versatile, and with IR's these days the flexibility just goes up.

That's awesome. Doesn't hurt to ask, but no pressure from me Bob. You've peaked my interest though.

The sustainor is pretty versatile, and with IR's these days the flexibility just goes up.

I havent talked to him in a few years but I do still have his email contact. I will ask him.

Back