Remember 1983...

Damn you Bill Gates!

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

I was born a few years after that. My parents were sure to catch me up on all the music that I missed. I learned how to read parallel to learning about Ozzy/Sabbath, Scorpions, VH, AC/DC, SRV/Hendrix, Clapton, Zep, Floyd, INXS, Duran Duran, learned how to put up sheet rock and wire junction boxes to Bryan Adams and the Beatles.

Even though I grew into a punk/nu metal teen, most of the songs at my wedding predate me: Styx - we started the reception with Come Sail Away and my wife comes out in her long white dress right as the distorted guitars kick in, totally unplanned and cool af. End of the reception was Hot For Teacher (she's a teacher).

I was 1 lol.

I will say that while i don't get into the cheese faction of hair metal it does look like it was a good time to be partying and I'm sure there was a lot of other stuff going on if that wasn't your thing. Guys getting dolled up like girls, girls going nuts for it.... who wouldn't love that? Arena shows, club shows, musicians actually making money selling albums... sounds awesome!! Feels like we'll never be able to party like that with all the assholes putting fentanyl into everything now and with streaming basically ensuring no one makes anything besides their ceo.

I was 1 lol.

I will say that while i don't get into the cheese faction of hair metal it does look like it was a good time to be partying and I'm sure there was a lot of other stuff going on if that wasn't your thing. Guys getting dolled up like girls, girls going nuts for it.... who wouldn't love that? Arena shows, club shows, musicians actually making money selling albums... sounds awesome!! Feels like we'll never be able to party like that with all the assholes putting fentanyl into everything now and with streaming basically ensuring no one makes anything besides their ceo.
Guys getting dolled up like girls
1724410949073.png

I was 1 lol.

We used to go to this really cool club in Baltimore called Girard's. The scene was, mood lighting, the beginnings of New Wave (first time ever seeing a band that didn't have a drummer, just samples), everyone dressed really sharp (narrow ties & jackets), and yeah the girls were on point. Loved that place! Did very well with the ladies. ;) Classy.

But if you liked the girls with the big hair, that was Hammerjacks. Totally different scene, but they had the best bands. Saw Extreme there once, and they were on fire! Kings X too. Easy to find whatever you wanted. wink wink

I was 9 years old and going nuts over all the great rock and metal, for sure. Loved all of it, including Quiet Riot.

For me, the biggest album of 1983 was this one. The songs, guitar playing, images, and videos just tapped into my brain like nothing else, leading to a lifelong love of the band.

91hXfCFcIOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And the biggest-selling album of the year (and album of the year), contained a song that when I first heard it on the radio, I thought, oh great! Now we have this pop band with a guitarist that sounds exactly like Eddie Van Halen! :facepalm :sofa

It took me 40 years to learn how much Steve Lukather had to do with this record!

And the biggest-selling album of the year (and album of the year), contained a song that when I first heard it on the radio, I thought, oh great! Now we have this pop band with a guitarist that sounds exactly like Eddie Van Halen! :facepalm :sofa

It took me 40 years to learn how much Steve Lukather had to do with this record!

"I like how you do that weedly weedly stuff up high..." MJ

I recall Eliminator being the beginnings of ZZ Top "selling out." :LOL:

That was their Black Album. :rofl

I think I had fun in 1983. I wasn't playing guitar just yet. That happened
in 1984. I was listening to a lot of music. MTV was in its heyday and if
you had Cable TV you know what a "gamechanger" it was. It was Proto-Youtube.

I was riding and racing BMX bikes. Pedaling all sorts of crazy miles with
my friends, and recovering from multiple skull fractures when I faceplanted
on pavement at high speed in a Bank parking lot where we used to
ride a lot. That was the beginning of the end for BMX and where me
needing to find something to do at home ended with me trading a
Nickel Bag of Weed for a Baldwin SG Copy with a broken headstock. :facepalm

That was their Black Album. :rofl

I think I had fun in 1983. I wasn't playing guitar just yet. That happened
in 1984. I was listening to a lot of music. MTV was in its heyday and if
you had Cable TV you know what a "gamechanger" it was. It was Proto-Youtube.

I was riding and racing BMX bikes. Pedaling all sorts of crazy miles with
my friends, and recovering from multiple skull fractures when I faceplanted
on pavement at high speed in a Bank parking lot where we used to
ride a lot. That was the beginning of the end for BMX and where me
needing to find something to do at home ended with me trading a
Nickel Bag of Weed for a Baldwin SG Copy with a broken headstock. :facepalm
There aren't enough emojis to really fit all you said.

Too many mood swings and when I was sure I had the right emoji, you swung again.

Well played.

I seem to remember reading an interview with Gibbons where he said "Eliminator" was when they started using a sequencer/drum machine in the studio.

It really changed their sound.. that's for sure.

Back