RC Booster: A Black Panel's best friend

jellodog

Rock Star
That old used Xotic RC Booster I bought a few weeks back. I'm really digging it with the PRRI, and I'm barely using it to boost the signal at all.

It does almost NOTHING.

And yet it is definitely doing SOMETHING. šŸ˜

It's like cooking with nutmeg. You only add a little and sometimes you find yourself questioning if there's any nutmeg in your dish at all :D

The clean tone of the Princeton Reverb sounds great without pedals, but it still has that black panel brightness to the top end which can be a little too much, especially if you dig in.

The RC Booster subtley smooths out that top end. And then I've added just the slightest hint of "interest" and grit from the gain knob, which you'd barely notice was there; but it just makes everything a bit richer and fuller. I'm always learning again and again that best "clean" tones aren't quite as clean as they seem.

Current settings:

rc_booster.jpg

Apparently they kept changing the circuit over the years. Mine is from the lower 2000 serial numbers. I was surprised to find the circuit was partially gooped when I took the back off to clean the pots. I don't think that they goop anymore (?).

Funnily enough, I'm using the same pedal model with the Bandmaster in the FM9 when I'm using the modeller.

Last edited:
Incidentally, the pedal sounded like shit when I got it... the gain pot was unusable, it had oxidised so much.

A healthy does of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner sorted it all out in no time. Now it's good as new (y)

Great pedal. I've heard it referred to as Nashville session players' secret weapon. The independent bass and treble controls really take it to the next level and allow it to work with pretty much any amp/guitar combo. Are you using it as an "always-on" pedal, JD?

Great pedal. I've heard it referred to as Nashville session players' secret weapon. The independent bass and treble controls really take it to the next level and allow it to work with pretty much any amp/guitar combo. Are you using it as an "always-on" pedal, JD?

I am indeed using it as an "always-on" at the moment. I change my mind a lot about stuff though; so check back next week haha

There are a few different circuit variations on this pedal. It's hard to know if we're all discussing the same thing (especially with the early models gooping).

Been curious to try one as a clean boost on the ENGL. The QC had a variant of it (I thought) but I didnā€™t use it that often, but I have circled around on it numerous times.

I'd rather get a clone (or 3, see above) and not worry about the fonts and the wasted space. Fwiw, IMO the Joyo even sounds somewhat better (I know, it's missing the goal, but hey...).

I'd rather get a clone (or 3, see above) and not worry about the fonts and the wasted space. Fwiw, IMO the Joyo even sounds somewhat better (I know, it's missing the goal, but hey...).

All good. It's cool if the Joyo really does sound better to you, and saves space too!

There's lots of good boost options out there. I just wanted to go with a well known tried and tested pedal with a reputation that has survived the years; and this used one was on sale in second-hand store that I happened to be visiting that day.

Not worried about space at the moment - I'm not even using a pedalboard right now; just enjoying taking a single pedal from the collection each night and plugging it into the Princeton (with the RC often on a battery like our forefathers did). This is a new and different approach for me.

If space was an issue though, I do have an Xotic Super Clean.

And if I want to go "full battleship", I'll fire up the FM9.

Last edited:
Caline Pure Sky=cheap af sounds KILLER

Silver Horse Mosky=cheap turd; sounds KILLER. I have a poverty Rat clone coming today as well.

I just wanted to go with a well known tried and tested pedal with a reputation that has survived the years; and this used one was on sale in second-hand store that I happened to be visiting that day.

All fine. It's a great pedal. Possibly the most allround-ish "utility" pedal I ever owned. And I really only bought the clones because a) they're using less space and b) because the original starts to show it's age (used it nonstop for 10+ years). Fwiw, for a while I had all 3 clones on my board simultaneously.

Btw, I even used the RC Booster on an acoustic board for a while. You need to be really careful with the input level, even if you keep gain at 0, but once that's sorted, it can really make a steelstring shine and cut through at the same time. Plus, the bass pot helps to avoid boominess.

Back