Quad Cortex in 4cm

TubeStack

Shredder
Yeah, I'm asking it. :hmm :banana

Anyone try the QC in 4cm with a real amp? If so, how is it?

I love my FM9. The quality of every single effect is :chef and it sounds AMAZING in 4cm: zero “tone suck” and 100% tone improvement.

But… it is pretty damn big and heavy and forced me to upsize to a PT Classic 2. :(:idk

Whereas, the QC would fit on my PT Jr with a couple real drives, mini wah, and room to spare. AND is only 4 lbs…. :D

It used to be pretty effects-weak, but I believe there's more on it now? Is there a Uni-Vibe? If so, how is it?

Also, maybe I can capture my beloved Keeley Fuzz Head?

However, Cordy says while the captured pedals sound remarkably similar to the real thing, they don't feel the same?

(Yes, feel is crucial to me, @JiveTurkey , sorry…
not GIF
)

So… any TGF QC 4cm experiences? How was it?

Last edited:

I love my FM9. The quality of every single effect is :chef and it sounds AMAZING in 4cm: zero “tone suck” and 100% tone improvement.

But… it is pretty damn big and heavy and forced me to upsize to a PT Classic 2. :(:idk

Whereas, the QC would fit on my PT Jr with a couple real drives, mini wah, and room to spare. AND is only 4 lbs…. :D

It used to be pretty effects-weak, but I believe there's more on it now? Is there a Uni-Vibe? If so, how is it?

However, Cordy says while the captured pedals sound remarkably similar to the real thing, they don't feel the same?

(Yes, feel is crucial to me, @JiveTurke, sorry…
not GIF
)

I used it in 4cm and it worked the same as all the other devices imo. I wouldn't get it solely for 4cm but if you have other uses in mind I'd give it a go! It's in stock most places and you can return if you don't like it

I would 100% look into a Stomp in the loop for this purpose over a QC and use the $ you save to buy some drives you want for up front.

:chef

Haha, I've planned out that exact setup already on PBPlanner… :beer

And I have most of the real pedals I need already for in front (two drives, phase, wah) and just need two more (octave and a boost for Strat).

But the thing is… and this pains me: I just sold my Stomp, when I got the FM9, and I'm very reluctant to buy it again so soon and clearly see/feel the $ loss. I knew I shouldn't have sold it so quickly… :(. That being said, I did get lots of use out of it in a year+ so, oh well, in the long run.

But I'm pretty curious about the QC, despite all my misgivings about the company and launch history. And I didn't really realize it was so small and light when looking at it before.

And: more switches is a huge appeal over the Stomp, too.

And, this is all fun speculation, as I'm still happy with the FM9, except finding it a tad huge and heavy.

And I have most of the real pedals I need already for in front (two drives, phase, wah) and just need two more (octave and a boost for Strat).

But the thing is… and this pains me: I just sold my Stomp, when I got the FM9, and I'm very reluctant to buy it again so soon and clearly see/feel the $ loss. I knew I shouldn't have sold it so quickly… :(. That being said, I did get lots of use out of it in a year+ so, oh well, in the long run.

But I'm pretty curious about the QC, despite all my misgivings about the company and launch history. And I didn't really realize it was so small and light when looking at it before.

And, this is all fun speculation, as I'm still happy with the FM9, except finding it a tad huge and heavy.
Ahhh I thought you had the HX FX and were tired of the tone suck. Gotcha. Well; no time like the present. You never know till you try :idkWith the QC for me; I'll go ahead and keep on not knowing :satan

Ahhh I thought you had the HX FX and were tired of the tone suck. Gotcha. Well; no time like the present. You never know till you try :idkWith the QC for me; I'll go ahead and keep on not knowing :satan

Yes, I had both the HXFX and Stomp, running the former in front and the latter in the loop. It was a cool setup. (And yes, that grew out of becoming dissatisfied with tone suck with the HXFX in 4cm.)

Stomp XL on Reverb! Save money (less $$ loss to regret), feel better since it’s not the same as your original Stomp, and enjoy the extra switches! Boom.

(Yes, feel is crucial to me, @JiveTurkey , sorry…
not GIF
)

I haven`t tried 4CM with my QC as it`s my only unit at the moment.
But I love the sound and the feel, and it is fun to use. I had a HX Stomp and i sold it after 4 days ( don`t like sliders, and the screen is to small )

+ Capturing is also fun and works well
I think CorOS 2.0 will be a good one, to make the Quad Cortex even better to use IRL

I ran my QC in 4CM with my Synergy rack. Pretty awesome TBH. All effects and routing from the QC.

Had a master present, with footswitches A-D utilizing two QC models and various effects, and then footswitches E-H all mapped to the four channels of the Sunergy modules. (With various effects for each scene)

Pretty glutonous setup, having FS access to multiple digital modules and multiple analog units. (All with their own unique effects in each scene)

The QC effects aren’t overly great, but they did improve over time, particularly Chorus options. The OD’s were always good. I liked the poly octave and the freeze was pretty good. I found most of the verbs/delays sorta meh but they largely get the job done.

If I ever went back to the QC it would be specifically to integrate back into an analog setup, to get the best of both worlds.

Stomp XL on Reverb! Save money (less $$ loss to regret), feel better since it’s not the same as your original Stomp, and enjoy the extra switches! Boom.

Thanks, but the XL doesn't fit on the PT Jr with the other things I need (because it would only be in amps loop, so I need more pedals to go in front of amp, whereas the QC it would be in full 4cm and I wouldn't need as many in-front pedals, if that makes sense).

I have found L6 stuff to have a fair amount of "tone suck" in 4cm with my setup. Jury's out as to the QC, though.

I ran my QC in 4CM with my Synergy rack. Pretty awesome TBH. All effects and routing from the QC.

Had a master present, with footswitches A-D utilizing two QC models and various effects, and then footswitches E-H all mapped to the four channels of the Sunergy modules. (With various effects for each scene)

Pretty glutonous setup, having FS access to multiple digital modules and multiple analog units. (All with their own unique effects in each scene)

The QC effects aren’t overly great, but they did improve over time, particularly Chorus options. The OD’s were always good. I liked the poly octave and the freeze was pretty good. I found most of the verbs/delays sorta meh but they largely get the job done.

If I ever went back QC it would be specifically to reintegrate back into an analog setup, to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks, this is great info! Do you know if there's a uni-vibe now? How is the tape delay? Phase 90?

Thanks, this is great info! Do you know if there's a uni-vibe now? How is the tape delay? Phase 90?

Yeah they have a couple vibe options, it’s not an effect I use a lot so I wouldn’t really be able to tell you how good it was. Phasers were good, I think they added another MXR phaser during the last update too. (90 and 100)

Tape delay was one of the more usable delays. It’s no El Cap but got the job done. The Dual Delay they added in last update was fantastic, I was going the sorta Halo setup on it. (This is a recurring theme with QC amps and effects, pretty much most things they released post launch have been really good, as you can tell they aren’t rushed and are just getting it right. The launch amps/effects were uneven in quality imo, some good, some bad, some meh)

My QC is set up in 4cm with a little Quilter head at the moment. It works great, although I seldom wind up routing in the Quilter preamp because there are enough QC amps and captures that I like as well or better, and that are easier to work with. In any case, I don't perceive any "tone suck" with this set up - it sounds and feels fantastic. Noise floor in general may be a bit higher than with Stomp or other alternatives.

There is Univibe. I believe it's been there from the start. It sounds good enough IMO, but I've never owned a real one. So, grain of salt.

QC does well capturing OD/DST (and the models are very good, too) - but my understanding is it doesn't capture fuzz well. Maybe someone else here can confirm or deny.

+1. I have a QC in 4CM with my Driftwood and it absolutely slays. My switching requirements are straightforward, though. Just multiple snapshots and each snapshot changes channels/modes on the amp via MIDI and the QC is all FX pre and post relative to the amp which change with the snapshot in force.

My QC is set up in 4cm with a little Quilter head at the moment. It works great, although I seldom wind up routing in the Quilter preamp because there are enough QC amps and captures that I like as well or better, and that are easier to work with. In any case, I don't perceive any "tone suck" with this set up - it sounds and feels fantastic. Noise floor in general may be a bit higher than with Stomp or other alternatives.

There is Univibe. I believe it's been there from the start. It sounds good enough IMO, but I've never owned a real one. So, grain of salt.

QC does well capturing OD/DST (and the models are very good, too) - but my understanding is it doesn't capture fuzz well. Maybe someone else here can confirm or deny.
Some fuzz captures were ok! Think more of ones that are similar to OD/distortion pedals. However, ones like fuzz factory, good luck lol

I'd say, farting in general directions aside; that the biggest selling point of the QC in 4CM should be the ease of setup for this purpose.
Yeah... it actually has two assignable loops and a boatload of power to run multiple block/captures/etc per snapshot. You could actually even run a second preamp (like a Synergy Syn1 or Victory V4 or something ) in loop 2 and swap between the amps preamp and your loop2 preamp at will, etc. You can swap a capture in for the amp's preamp, it's bonkers. The FX are solid on it at this point, too (although both Fractal and Line 6 are solidly ahead there).

Yeah... it actually has two assignable loops and a boatload of power to run multiple block/captures/etc per snapshot. You could actually even run a second preamp (like a Synergy Syn1 or Victory V4 or something ) in loop 2 and swap between the amps preamp and your loop2 preamp at will, etc. You can swap a capture in for the amp's preamp, it's bonkers. The FX are solid on it at this point, too (although both Fractal and Line 6 are solidly ahead there).
And... I've got a mic on input 2, and a pair of near fields set up on either side of the 4x12 the Quilter is driving. Extremely flexible.

To be fair, all of this can be done with a Helix Floor/ Rack/ LT (and presumably the AxeFX III) as well. But having this much functionality with this footprint is pretty great. And the larger screen and encoder count really add a lot to usability. Helix is famous for its UI, but at this point I feel like a fish out of water when I try to go back to it.

Back