Quad Cortex (A Love Story) Round 2

Noice!

Have they improved the IR loading procedure? I fucking hated the hoops you had to jump through Cortex Cloud to do that back in the day.
I have to upload the IR`s I need to the Cortex Cloud ( my user ) via PC, then download to the QC from the QC UI cloud, and then it`s on my QC.
The good thing is I can upload loads of IR`s to the cloud, and delete all the ir`s on the QC, and still have access to the cloud once. So I think that is a good thing.

Paging @mbenigni , I may need Geek Squad support integrating the GM800 with it. :ROFLMAO:
Always happy to flap my gums about gear. :) Looking forward to having someone else to compare notes with. Bear in mind I have no direct experience with the GM800, but plenty (too much?) with Roland in general. The QC is very straightforward where MIDI configuration is concerned, so I don't think you'll have much trouble.

Oh by the way, do you happen to have an iPad? ;)

Good Hair Movie GIF

Get that ‘fro poppin’!

7y4bul.jpg

On the subject of GM-800; Boss/Roland nearly "hit it out the park". GM400 would have been goldilocks :love

Elsewhere in a PM: mbenigni encourages whizzinby to buy a MIDI Captain, so he has switches with which to switch his switches. 100% without irony. :D

But no, that is not what the iPad would be for. :p
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII know! JO FTMFW :rawk

Always happy to flap my gums about gear. :) Looking forward to having someone else to compare notes with. Bear in mind I have no direct experience with the GM800, but plenty (too much?) with Roland in general. The QC is very straightforward where MIDI configuration is concerned, so I don't think you'll have much trouble.

Oh by the way, do you happen to have an iPad? ;)

iPad check.

Would love to be able to build presets with a scene (Maybe on the H footswitch) dedicated to engaging the GM800, which I’m not sure if I should be running the 800 into the QC or vice versa. Maybe good for an “offline” chat in the conversations. lol

iPad check.

Would love to be able to build presets with a scene (Maybe on the H footswitch) dedicated to engaging the GM800, which I’m not sure if I should be running the 800 into the QC or vice versa. Maybe good for an “offline” chat in the conversations. lol
I'm trying to cram 2 days worth of work into the last 40 minutes of the work day, but later, yes - I can help! JT will surely have some to contribute, too. :)

If I had to just pick one digital device it would be my Axe FX no doubt.

However, the QC does have features and tonal qualities that fractal doesn't (for good or bad). Variety is the spice of life or somesuch
I would be curious to hear the FM9 A/B'd with the Quad cortex. Strength weaknesses ect

What is the basic difference in the approach of the Fractal versus the Cortext?

I would be curious to hear the FM9 A/B'd with the Quad cortex. Strength weaknesses ect

While the QC has both modeling and capture functions, the Fractal line does not....

However, I find that the effects and amp tones are much better in terms of quality and quantity with the fractal. Captures/profiles will always have a special place in my heart as I believe they sound more natural. It just depends on if you feel like searching through captures. I am more than happy to put equal settings and IRs on common fractal and QC models and put a few clips up if anyone cares.

Curiosity got the better of the me now that they’ve released a few significant updates since I last owned it. Plugged nose and all.

funny videos fail GIF

Had it for a couple days now, but only able to put a handful of hours back into it so far.

Quick thoughts:
  • The wireless/cloud capabilities are just badass. All of my IRs and presets were already loaded into my cloud account from the first time I owned the thing, so when I logged into the device I was able to redownload everything within about 30 seconds.
  • IR loader block. This should have been at launch. The old method of loading them was ridiculous and nonsensical having to add a cab block, manually load the IRs to the block one by one, then using the mic selector arrows to toggle between them. (And this process was required every time you created a new preset) The IR block pretty much eliminates all this by having everything auto loaded, I’m scrolling all the York Mix 01’s in seconds not minutes. Good job Daryl!
  • The native cab block is still great, though I wish they would have standardized the mics they used for each cab. They vary some between cabs which is mildly annoying. (And they still need an auto-level feature in it so when you load the second mic it doesn’t goose the volume)
  • The Kraken model is pretty good from my initial tire kicking. Haven’t tried the other new amps or effects yet.
  • Royce Whittaker’s (The Midnight) presets are dope. You can inject 80’s styled ambient cleans directly into my veins. Heroes8p is a fantastic preset, and I’m not sure how any of it is possible with 37 different blocks of chorus, verb and delay.
  • The UI is still great. You only truly appreciate it after using ToneX and the on-device editor in the GM800.

Paging @mbenigni , I may need Geek Squad support integrating the GM800 with it. :ROFLMAO:

QC + GM800, a match made in hell.

Curious if the editor beta will drop during the return window, or what the plug-in reveal this month will be. (Neural Decoder Ring ready, but I guessing first batch will be 2024 after the editor leaves beta)
Toking Mash Up GIF
Love me some The Midnight!
Have you heard about Gunship? There new single is really nice. I found these bands 3-4 years ago. And alot of the music I listen to is `synth pop` along with all the metal and prog stuff

Well, there's a difference in approach and a difference in sound quality.

For the former, the approach of Fractal is to not only give you a huge library of amps, but also the means to tweak/mod/pimp them to your heart's content. You can, say, dial in low cuts before the preamp...or after....or just before the cab. Or you could stick any of, like, 20 different boost in the actual amp circuit upfront. Or swap the tonestack for another type. Or change the poweramp tubes. Or change the gain structure altogether. It's nuts. Neural models some amps, occasionally, in a more traditional manner. But they also offer a huge library of captured amps. In a profoundly dumb decision on NDSP's part, you can see the settings of any capture they do that doesn't ship with the device, but not the settings of any of the captures onboard the device (which is a lot, unfortunately).

Sound quality is more category-specific. When I had my QC and FM3 at the same time, I remember preferring the QC Friedman BE-100 as well as the QC 100-watt EVH 5153s. But the 50-watt 5153, Mesas, Soldanos, Marshalls, and Fenders on the Fractal sounded more realistic and better to my ears. Cabs were a wash, thought I'd love to compare the Dynacabs to the QC factory cabs. FX in pretty much every category were waaaaaay more versatile and full-featured on Fractal.

Love me some The Midnight!
Have you heard about Gunship? There new single is really nice. I found these bands 3-4 years ago. And alot of the music I listen to is `synth pop` along with all the metal and prog stuff

I’ve heard of them, (and like what little I have heard) but I’ve never done a deep dive. Gonna add them to my playlist, leans right into my GM800 adventures too. :ROFLMAO:

Back