Quad Cortex (A Love Story) Round 2

This may be a good time to reveal that Neural has promoted me to Official Brand Ambassador due to my unwavering support over the years.

Good Hair Movie GIF

Get that ‘fro poppin’!

@Whizzinby Do I recall correctly that you've not tried an FM9 yet?

EDIT: Just want to get a feel for what your points of reference are and where you're coming from

I'm considering using mine again - just mainly because in a band setting they're all more than good enough. Nobody cares about 10 LUFS worse null test performance than tonex/nam onstage, and it's vastly more convenient than my current FM3+tonex integration, as well as smaller. My only real concern is reliability, and I have more than plenty of backups so even that isn't such a big deal.

They greatly improved the latency on the last update, which was one of my other big issues with it. I've measured it personally a bunch to validate that, and it's now between 3-5 ms (FX loops still add 3 each though), so it's on par with FAS now in that respect. Latency no longer increases/stacks when adding blocks and captures, which is a really big deal.

Ain't nann wrong with it, fellas. No shame at all. I'm not there, but I totally get it. Lots of aspects of that device are hella cool, and I'd be able to get by on it just fine. Ultimately, I just don't see what I'd be gaining if I left behind the FM9 right now.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'm glad y'all are dipping your toes back in.

Once I got over the fact that my purchase would fund another year at 24 HR Fitness for Doug, it made it much easier to stomach giving it another trial run.

But, it’s more curiosity than anything for me. Haven’t had a real deep dive yet. I was somewhat impressed that it still had the “cool” factor when I fired it back up. I thought having used it before some of the novelty of using it wouldn’t be there, but it’s still really fun to use.

They did get so much right with it out of the gate that it boggles the mind how they shit the bed so thoroughly in other aspects of the device.

Hard to leave it once you're onboard. I love gear hopping as much as the next sicko around these parts, but at some point when I got an FM9, I realized virtually everything I personally was waiting for (e.g. more modded Marshall models, editor, robust third-party ecosystem, switching options, super-spacey pad-like reverbs, Mesa Mark original and variant models) was already available from Fractal now.

I guess the NDSP plugins and some of the cooler synth-y (Rabea, Archetpe: Tim Henson's multivoicer) stuff from Neural would be handy as Fractal hasn't put much into expanding the (admittedly powerful) base synth capabilities of the current firmware. But that's about it. If I jumped ship for a QC now, it feels like I'd mostly wait for it to catch up to the platform I just left!

EDIT: Almost forgot....those "handy" plugin features ain't available on QC either. Maybe next year - depending on what announcement they announce that they'll be making when they have "more news to share about Quad Cortex plugin compatibility in September"....

Once I got over the fact that my purchase would fund another year at 24 HR Fitness for Doug, it made it much easier to stomach giving it another trial run.

But, it’s more curiosity than anything for me. Haven’t had a real deep dive yet. I was somewhat impressed that it still had the “cool” factor when I fired it back up. I thought having used it before some of the novelty of using it wouldn’t be there, but it’s still really fun to use.

They did get so much right with it out of the gate that it boggles the mind how they shit the bed so thoroughly in other aspects of the device.

To keep this more positive - and to keep from hijacking your thread as I'm inadvertently doing - tell me about how you're using it now. You know, the genres you're playing, home/live usage, fave presets, fave models, etc.

@Whizzinby Do I recall correctly that you've not tried an FM9 yet?

EDIT: Just want to get a feel for what your points of reference are and where you're coming from

Never tried a Fractal device. Came close on a couple occasions. Would probably like it, but a lot of what the QC does get right in terms of form factor, UI, wireless, cloud etc. probably adds up more to me, than the overwhelming amount of high quality tones Fractal offers. Fractal certainly seems like a more likable platform though. :ROFLMAO:

To keep this more positive - and to keep from hijacking your thread as I'm inadvertently doing - tell me about how you're using it now. You know, the genres you're playing, home/live usage, fave presets, fave models, etc.

Hijack away lol, I think we both dumped the QC at the same time for many of the same reasons. I just dove back into analog gear waiting for Neural to pull their heads out of their asses, rather than go to a different platform. Whether they have turned the corner or not remains to be seen, but they do seem to have a little bit of momentum. (Granted that’s been said before)

I only use it at home. Gig days are over. I primarily use plugs for recording, but if the QC sticks this go round I’ll try to work that in. I’ve been screwing around in the Do Something threads here trying to figure out recording etc. Who knows what "genre" any of this shit is. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
@DrewJD82 Would you consider to ban him and send him back to the other place?

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Hahahhaha nah, we’re just going to get more The Modeler Wars episodes out of it in the long run. :rofl

Though when either Whizzin or Mongolio’s units start spitting out static or get the Blue Lights Of Death, they can look out any window in their home and I’ll be on the other side-
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Back