PRS MT100

uhh what is it with demo videos and the guitars being WAY rushed ahead of the drums.

Amp sounds rad, so far Zach Wish’s video seems to have the best tones from all 3 channels. Channel 3 reminds me of an Uberschall in that you REALLY don’t want the gain up too much higher than midday

Sounds great...but looks really cheap to me.

Those knob choices and front grille were fine on the PRS MT15 because it is a relatively cheap lunchbox amp. But if I saw the MT100, my guess would be that this is a low priced amp and not something that costs nearly $2K.

This really needed a nicer grille at minimum.

Sounds great...but looks really cheap to me.

Those knob choices and front grille were fine on the PRS MT15 because it is a relatively cheap lunchbox amp. But if I saw the MT100, my guess would be that this is a low priced amp and not something that costs nearly $2K.

This really needed a nicer grille at minimum.
I agree about the cosmetics, but I also see this as a (somewhat) budget amp. I think they’ve tried to offer a lot of amp for the money and cut corners in the right places. It’s made in the far east, isn’t full of extras. A lot of amps can make a lot more effort cosmetically and look even worse. Its more dull/boring than offensively ugly.

Not saying $2000 is small change, but I think it’s more like a JVM or EVH competitor than Bogner/Diezel/Friedman. I did not expect the price to be that low given what amps cost these days.

The MT15 wasn’t a looker either, but punched way above its weight. I can overlook the cosmetics considering this thing is only $100 more than a 20w Marshall.

Last edited:

I’ve always held this close to the chest.
-Thom Yorke would make the best flesh eating zombie..look at him, now imagine him deranged & destrorted in full-on zombie mode👀
No wonder Greenwood plays those octaves in such a menacing stabbing manner!

For me, this one’s a naw.
I wish PRS would have ‘put the cash in the crunch”
& made it a one channel amplifier with footswitchable gain boost with seperate master,
NFB controls, bright switches, etc.

Think about it.... that damn crossover channel!!
Confuses the power/output trannies..
It’s either a good clean channel 1,
with a dial tone channel 2,
& a killer channel 3
OR
a questionable channel 1,
killer crossover channel 2,
& a sorta killer channel 3.

I just wanna’ geek out with Tremonti & check
out his stash of high gain money monsters💯

I was actually PRS for Halloween this year, yep.
Walk-in’ around Ybor with a PRS shirt, Jackson dragon pants & a gold top Les Paul.
A few people actuallly got it.
I just applied my experiences from an ANNOYING accountant who thought he was attorney,
-a full on Karen always bitching about her lawn service and wanting something free
(while paying late),
,some northern superiority
& a healthy dose of “Vivian” from the Young Ones.

The signsture PRS installs on his amps is the exact same signature on his payroll checks🎯.
That’s why it’s so fugly’..
The mids in those amps..reflect his PRS’s persona.
I haven’t met a real life guitar player who can get along with the PRS distortion-the mids are strange.
However,
I’ll GLADLY take a gold top Tremonti sig guitar💯.
Those guitars are KILLER, especially if you find
a goldie for vibe & mojo.
My fav shredder guitar because of how well it stays in tune & it has a wiggle stick that’s not a Floyd🎯.
The pickups are pretty killer also.
The secret handshake is to install a PRS #7
in the neck position💯.
The Tremonti bridge pickup RIPS in that guitar🤘🏻
200.gif

I agree about the cosmetics, but I also see this as a (somewhat) budget amp. I think they’ve tried to offer a lot of amp for the money and cut corners in the right places. It’s made in the far east, isn’t full of extras. A lot of amps can make a lot more effort cosmetically and look even worse. Its more dull/boring than offensively ugly.

Not saying $2000 is small change, but I think it’s more like a JVM or EVH competitor than Bogner/Diezel/Friedman. I did not expect the price to be that low given what amps cost these days.
Sure, but I think both the JVM and EVH are still better looking amps.

The JVM410H is only 1279 € in EU and the EVH 5150-3 EL34 50W is 1399 € and the 100W is 1999 €. I expect this will be either just below the 2000 € mark or slightly above it.

All PRS heads are actually visually a bit crap now that I look at them. They have this look where the PRS script logo implies "elegant" but then the rest of the visual choices say "cheap." I know, I know, features and sound is what matters, but it's nice when the amp looks cool too.

I went from not for me to maybe to about to call Musicians Friend.

Damn it, there is a new Bad Cat coming out in a couple weeks...

And what about the SS100v2???

Sure, but I think both the JVM and EVH are still better looking amps.

The JVM410H is only 1279 € in EU and the EVH 5150-3 EL34 50W is 1399 € and the 100W is 1999 €. I expect this will be either just below the 2000 € mark or slightly above it.

All PRS heads are actually visually a bit crap now that I look at them. They have this look where the PRS script logo implies "elegant" but then the rest of the visual choices say "cheap." I know, I know, features and sound is what matters, but it's nice when the amp looks cool too.
Yeah, I'm guessing when you're making amps on the scale Fender and Marshall are, as well as having your own manufacturing processes dedicated to it, you have more wiggle room for extras. I think PRS tried doing the US made route and realised the margins are way too tight and the market of people willing to pay for it is too small. It seems over time their build quality has improved, the price for customers has gone down, and they have a better offering of products available.

Their Asian made stuff is by all accounts well built, and pretty well designed/serviceable. They are not high end builds, which is odd when you think of PRS as a brand, but I think they're being pretty sensible over all. I love the EVH amps as well as Marshall's, but EVH's have a lot of shitty quality components in there (like the most budget capacitors you can buy). EVH's are also quite expensive to service and pull the boards from. JVM's are kind of a work of genius, to offer what they do in a way that can be manufactured at large volumes..... it takes a special brain like @santiall to make that possible and its why so few amps exist that are that complex but also affordable.

I have no idea, but I'm guessing with PRS, you could contact them and have them sex up the headcab/grille/knobs etc for extra. I've seen some used Archon's for sale here with custom cosmetics.

I have no idea, but I'm guessing with PRS, you could contact them and have them sex up the headcab/grille/knobs etc for extra. I've seen some used Archon's for sale here with custom cosmetics.
If I were to buy one I'd probably just build my own headshell for it. I really like non-standard tolex colors too.

Did that to turn the Bogner GF45 SL I had from a combo to a head and cab because the combo was ridiculously heavy. Shaved off nearly 5 kg from the official Bogner headshell weight too by making mine from paulownia instead of plywood.

Certainly far from perfect for my first ever headshell, but I liked how it turned out and so did the next owner.

Lot to like with this one IMO. I think all 3 channels sound great. It’s not quite the amp for me as home base for me is a good Marshall crunch sound. I do appreciate the dumble thing but I find it a bit thick for me especially with chords. If I were primarily playing in 3 and 4 piece bands though and needed to cover a lot of ground sonically, this would be a tough amp to beat.

D

Still rocking my MT15 with HX Stomp and some pedals in 4CM. I don't need the 100w but a mid gain channel sounds like a nice addition.
so much this. A friend of mine has an MT-15, LOVE both channels, but I need that low/mid gain Marshall thing with clean up ability. When I borrowed his, years ago, I wasn't into using pedals into the clean channel, but with updates, and now that I've discovered the pedals inside HX, the MT-15 would be a REALLY viable amp for me now.

Last edited:
so much this. A friend of mine has one, LOVE both channels, but I need that low/mid gain Marshall thing with clean up ability. When I borrowed his, years ago, I wasn't into using pedals into the clean channel, but with updates, and now that I've discovered the pedals inside HX, it would be a REALLY viable amp for me.

Channel 2 of the 100 is a dumble thing, not a Marshall thing though.

D

EVH/Fender are chucking out 3 channel amps in spades for $1300 US. :idk

EVH/Fender are chucking out 3 channel amps in spades for $1300 US. :idk

EVH 100W amps seem to be $2000+ in the US, so more than the PRS. Pointless comparing a 50W amp with shared EQ etc.

pretty sure the PRS will have higher quality components and a better designed PCB.

Back