Processor/Modeler/Something for live vocals?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
We really need a subform for things besides guitar modelers and such... 🤣

Here's another thread I didn't know where to put.

For band practice, I'm singing through an old Peavey PA head/speaker combo and it does the job, but raw vocals are so uninspiring. After yesterday's jam session it got me wondering:

"There has to be something like an HX Stomp, but for vocals, these days..." I know I can get a Stomp and make that work, but would prefer something actually designed for vocals. Something with compression, reverb, etc...

Recommendations?

TIA!

Oh man! I swear I have tried them all. From the Digitechs to the TC Helicons to the Boss entry
into crappy foot-controlled vocal fx. :LOL:

My favourite for live use is the old purple Digitech 300 series. It has actual knobs for real time control,
and has what I believe to be the best (and stouest!) preamp of the ones I have tried.

I've owned the TC Helicon small form factor Vocal pedals, which are cool, and still use the big boy
TC Helicon Voicelive 2 that is a mammoth thing---and precludes it from live use if you are also running
a pedalboard for guitars and/poor bass. That is a cool unit with more footswitchable control---as you
can turn FX off/on individually and has a built in Pitch Correction/Auto-tune feature if you want it. It's
just huge. And if you don't need the fake-ass harmonies you are better off looking at something like
the Digitech 300.

For barebones tones, essential on stage control, and a legit preamp it is really hard to beat Barney. :idk

91ThBKNYrFL.jpg

@la szum
I was looking at the TC Voiceline Play Acoustic. Really just want a “set and forget” for band practice. Need a compressor, reverb, want a doubler, delay… maybe pitch correction…

Would Barney cover those bases?

@la szum
I was looking at the TC Voiceline Play Acoustic. Really just want a “set and forget” for band practice. Need a compressor, reverb, want a doubler, delay… maybe pitch correction…

Singer in our band has the Voicelive Play GTX. The Blue one. The preamp in it is the
worst of all the VFX I have tried. It works, though. Just in a side by side Barney buries
the TC. And I am pretty sure it is not due to my golden pipes. :LOL:

@la szum

The Doubler in Barney was my go to. I also used a Radio Mic/Telephone FX for some lo-fi interludes.

I like that I can bend down and adjust Input Gain, Master Volume, and EQ in an instant without
having to menu dive. On a stage that is VERY handy, in my experience.

If you need the fake harmonies then the TC is the way to go. Basic FX and a better Preamp with
more accessible controls I am all in on Barney. :beer

The Doubler in Barney was my go to. I also used a Radio Mic/Telephone FX for some lo-fi interludes.

I like that I can bend down and adjust Input Gain, Master Volume, and EQ in an instant without
having to menu dive. On a stage that is VERY handy, in my experience.

If you need the fake harmonies then the TC is the way to go. Basic FX and a better Preamp with
more accessible controls I am all in on Barney. :beer
Good info. Thanks. Harmonies are not a thing for me, but doubling helps to fill out the sound.

I've used a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 in the past and liked it. It has a one-button "Tone" function that adds de-essing, compression, EQ, and noise gate, that is pretty addictive. Only thing is, if you are using old school floor monitors, the compression can cause weird and annoying feedback issues.

Oh man! I swear I have tried them all. From the Digitechs to the TC Helicons to the Boss entry
into crappy foot-controlled vocal fx. :LOL:

My favourite for live use is the old purple Digitech 300 series. It has actual knobs for real time control,
and has what I believe to be the best (and stouest!) preamp of the ones I have tried.

I've owned the TC Helicon small form factor Vocal pedals, which are cool, and still use the big boy
TC Helicon Voicelive 2 that is a mammoth thing---and precludes it from live use if you are also running
a pedalboard for guitars and/poor bass. That is a cool unit with more footswitchable control---as you
can turn FX off/on individually and has a built in Pitch Correction/Auto-tune feature if you want it. It's
just huge. And if you don't need the fake-ass harmonies you are better off looking at something like
the Digitech 300.

For barebones tones, essential on stage control, and a legit preamp it is really hard to beat Barney. :idk

91ThBKNYrFL.jpg
Ok, just bought one of these off eBay. If I don’t like it, you have to refund 300% of my purchase price.

But I do accept Stomp Bucks… or Fuzzy’s card. But I draw the line at pinecones.

Ok, just bought one of these off eBay. If I don’t like it, you have to refund 300% of my purchase price.

Haha! $100 bones or thereabouts?

I am both excited and a wee bit trepidatious to hear your thoughts once you have some play time
with it. :puppet

:rofl

I know it inside and out, so if you have any ??? about dialing it in or settings let me know.

Still use mine weekly at our practice sesh. :beer

Not sure if I got a dud or what, but can't get any sound out of the Vocal 300. Known good mic and cable. Ran it into my DAW and got nothing, then tried the headphone out and still nothing... Read the manga wondering if there was some secret sauce button to push, but nada... :idk :hmm

Not sure if I got a dud or what, but can't get any sound out of the Vocal 300. Known good mic and cable. Ran it into my DAW and got nothing, then tried the headphone out and still nothing... Read the manga wondering if there was some secret sauce button to push, but nada... :idk :hmm
Is it a stereo unit? Did you try both outputs? Can you see level going in?

Back