Plexi vs DSL comparison

If we’re gatekeeping cell phone clips s***s getting even lamer in here :idk

If we’re gatekeeping cell phone clips s***s getting even lamer in here :idk
To be clear on my cellphone gatekeeping policies: great for all sorts of things. Not so much for showing two very loud amps sound very similar. Which is most often done by those that are Real Tube Amp purists because of dynamics.

Tonight Show Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Didn't they make a DSL50 once upon a time?

I had a TSL60 for a bit, and wasn't as much of a fan. :idk

If I saw a DSL for $500 I'd hit that f****r hard and fast! :LOL:

They did, I gigged one for a while. It was an awesome amp, the only problem I had with it was that I couldn’t footswitch between the two modes of the green channel, which they fixed with the new ones.

I don’t know what it was about the TSL but everyone liked the DSL so much better!

not comparing to a plexi per se, but I always thought the DSL holds up nicely to the BE100. A bit more open and raw:

and boosted DSL green channel vs boosted 2203:

They did, I gigged one for a while. It was an awesome amp, the only problem I had with it was that I couldn’t footswitch between the two modes of the green channel, which they fixed with the new ones.

I don’t know what it was about the TSL but everyone liked the DSL so much better!
I have no idea what they did to the TSL, but I’ve never liked any of them that I’ve tried. Nowhere near as good as the DSL, past or present.

I had one of the original series DSL50 amps back in the day, sometime in the early 2000s. With the bias drift issue and everything. Poorly built amp, I could feel the PCB flexing if I swapped a preamp tube because the board didn't have adequate support in that area.

It was a nice sounding amp as long as it was treated as a single channel amp with switchable voicings. There was no way to sensibly balance the channels so one didn't sound thin or the other tubby.

The deep switch and mid shift switches were pretty much useless. One makes it boomy and the other makes it thin.

I also totally agree about smartphone clips. Phones are just not going to pick up what was heard in the room in any sensible manner or what even a basic SM57 or whatever could do.

I also totally agree about smartphone clips. Phones are just not going to pick up what was heard in the room in any sensible manner or what even a basic SM57 or whatever could do.

Hard disagree, an iphone clip definitely is more representative of the "in room sound" than a close mic'ed clip

Once again, gatekeeping *checks notes* how clips should be posted is asinine and stupid.

Hard disagree, an iphone clip definitely is more representative of the "in room sound" than a close mic'ed clip

Once again, gatekeeping *checks notes* how clips should be posted is asinine and stupid.
Can you not hear the limiter kicking in constantly in the OP's clip?

Come on, man. Stop with the “gatekeeping” stuff. Phone mics aren’t in any way, shape or form meant for this stuff, because they’re heavily lacking in dynamic range and threshold. This is why they make Zoom/Shure iPhone mics.
You can hear easily how the mic is clipping.

:rolleyes:

I've never really seen people on a guitar forum before actively trying to discourage and bitch about people actually sharing content. You already made it clear a few posts up that you have some sort of prior beef with the OP for some reason, so lets not be intellectually dishonest here.

I'm in favor of people posting clips of any kind, whether it's an iphone, home recording, or pro studio. Shitting on peoples clips is crappy forum culture

I've never really seen people on a guitar forum before actively trying to discourage and b*tch about people actually sharing content. You already made it clear a few posts up that you have some sort of prior beef with the OP for some reason, so lets not be intellectually dishonest here.

I'm in favor of people posting clips of any kind, whether it's an iphone, home recording, or pro studio. Shitting on peoples clips is crappy forum culture
Let's be intellectually honest and stop arguing that anyone is discouraging anyone from sharing content. No one is shitting on the clip. They are simply commenting on the limitations (see what I did there?) of it.

I've never really seen people on a guitar forum before actively trying to discourage and b*tch about people actually sharing content. You already made it clear a few posts up that you have some sort of prior beef with the OP for some reason, so lets not be intellectually dishonest here.

Now we're engaging in hyperbole. Sweet! No one "shit" on his clips. We're just saying it's all well and good, but phone clips aren't great for discerning loud amps.

I don't have a prior "beef" with the OP. I just don't like him, based on his attitude here, at TGP, and his own forum that he runs. There's no beef. No grudge. I just don't like his "always gotta be right" attitude, his thin skin, yet the way he'll stand by and watch other forum members get railed on, and do nothing about it.

Feel free to be upset about it, not like me, block me, or whatever. I'm not changing my viewpoint on this.

Back