Plexi vs DSL comparison

I sorta miss my DSL40 combo. Once I swapped the speaker, it was quite the killer little package. Wish I had hung on to it, if for nothing else but to practice without firing up the big boy rig. Those combos now are way too overpriced.
I hear you. I’ve been side-eyeing the DSL40CR for a couple years as a gig amp that would be more convenient than any of my head/cab setups while covering the core sounds I use.

It’s a solid amp, and often a great deal on the used market.

Correct. I am using Lead 1 with the gain set to 2.

And also with the EQ out of the way. I set my amp with the Presence on 2, Bass on 4, Mids on 2 and Treble on 1.5
The DSL EQ is what gives the DSL the modern character. Take it of the equation and it sounds like a proper Marshall.

Nuno's take on this:

This is the way with this amp. Try settings like that (give or take a few notches depending on your guitar, speakers etc) and it's classic Marshall all the way

AHA!! He said JCM2000 though, not the current DSL series! :rofl

You know what sounds good through a DSL power section?
trumpets dancing GIF by KC & The Sunshine Band

The fact that DSL100 is only 900€ is kinda crazy. Great value, sounds amazing.
JVM410H is like 1400€ which might be an even better deal.

The 1959HW is 2300€ so not quite 4x the price of the DSL as someone earlier said, but a little over double, so not sure if that's actually worth it.

The best part of OP’s video isn’t the tone, it’s the camera bouncing around from being punished by those amps…like it’s tied to a chair and being tortured.
you can also hear the phone's limiter kicking in the whole time. I don't doubt that the two amps can sound a lot a like, certainly functionally so for most purposes.

I sorta miss my DSL40 combo. Once I swapped the speaker, it was quite the killer little package. Wish I had hung on to it, if for nothing else but to practice without firing up the big boy rig. Those combos now are way too overpriced.

Ugh I hated mine, I thought it sounded good the day I traded for it, but I must have had a cold that day and didn’t realize it.

I love the Marshall sound, but I hated that combo.

It never tricked me into believeing it was a plexi. Maybe I could have turned the knobs differently and gotten a different result, but I really doubt it.

D

The 1959HW is 2300€ so not quite 4x the price of the DSL as someone earlier said, but a little over double, so not sure if that's actually worth it.
yeah true. This is a 1987x. Here in the US it sells for $3k. The current DSL sells for $1300 (I think).

The older ones like this and the 2000s are more like $700-800 in the used market. So yes, they're a crazy good value.

Ugh I hated mine, I thought it sounded good the day I traded for it, but I must have had a cold that day and didn’t realize it.

I love the Marshall sound, but I hated that combo.

It never tricked me into believeing it was a plexi. Maybe I could have turned the knobs differently and gotten a different result, but I really doubt it.

D

Horses for courses, I guess.

I did end up replacing the stock speaker with a Mesa V30, which suited me better. I think a closed back would have made even Moar Betterer. Like I say, I wish I’d have kept it just as a small (but absurdly loud) practice amp. I had the 40w version.

Horses for courses, I guess.

I did end up replacing the stock speaker with a Mesa V30, which suited me better. I think a closed back would have made even Moar Betterer. Like I say, I wish I’d have kept it just as a small (but absurdly loud) practice amp. I had the 40w version.

Mine was the 40 watt and had a cele v30.

Maybe there are multiple versions of this amp too though? I had that one probably 10 years ago and got it used, there are probably other incarnations of it that are different.

D

Maybe there are multiple versions of this amp too though? I had that one probably 10 years ago and got it used, there are probably other incarnations of it that are different.

D

Yeah I had the CR, which from what I recall people liked more than the original C version. (But I have no idea if anything about them was meaningfully different)

The US market sure is buggered for any Marshall except for a DSL it sounds like. Crazy that the gap between DSL and JVM is so narrow over there. Here new a DSL is $1200 and a JVM410 is $3200 :wat

Used prices are pretty reasonable though

D

I had the dreaded DSL401 combo...

which died during my first practice with it the same day I picked it up. Really thankful the dude I bought it from wasn't shady and let me return it to him for my money back...

Yeah I had the CR, which from what I recall people liked more than the original C version. (But I have no idea if anything about them was meaningfully different)
Yeah so the DSL has basically 3 series:

The JCM2000s, which are the originals

The H series (C for combos), which are pretty much like the 2000s, except it has a Resonance Knob in place of the Deep switch, and a 1/2 power switch (the 2000s had separate version for different wattages). That is the one being demo'd in this video.

The HR/CR series is the current series. It's very different than the previous 2. They added 2 switchable master volumes (in addition to the channel volumes), MIDI, emulated out, MP3 in (??? weirdest thing ever), and a programmable footswitch like the JVM. So lots of features, but I like the previous ones better.

The amp on the video is not a current DSL series either. It's the first reissued (13-18). Very similar to the 2000. The current DSL is completely different.
The DSL from 13-18 is completely different than the current "R" series? No, it really isn't. They have a lot more features, but they sound quite similar.

They're not that far off each other

I owned both at the same time. I sold the 1987X because I liked the tighter response of the DSL. I can confirm with the OP that YES you can get damned close sound wise. This vid makes me want another DSL100H lol

Back