Plexi vs DSL comparison

If you dial in the amp, and THEN hit that switch, and don't re-dial the amp in... then you're just doing it wrong.

It can sound good.

In the context of this thread, I disagree. It just sounds less Marshally to me. The tone stack is the character of the amp. Know what i mean? Sure, I can get a tone out of it but not one i enjoy. I totally get where you’re coming from though.

Don’t bogart my Mids, bro. 😁
Plus, IMO, it's just easier to avoid it than have multiple dial-in's. I have it set up now where the Green Crunch and the Red Lead 1 sound great with each other by doing the C19 mod with the music I play, classic/hard rock. I can see that it could be useful for harder metal stuff, but I dont play much of that, so when I do, I'll let the Stomp XL handle it.

Ya know, just this morning I messed with the Tone Shift button. I want to say on the Green Crunch channel it goes from Marshall to Fender kind of convincingly. Like a Plexi to a Bassman. Almost-ish-ly.

From memory, you have to set the EQ controls quite a bit higher. They're more responsive and have a slightly wider range. Also gotta pay attention to presence/resonance and volume, and balance those with how the EQ is set.

I tried higher Eq settings and I'm getting closer and closer. I'll post up a clip in a min. but for complete disclosure, I am using my cell phone mic, it is clipping, and I know the volume/gain combo still needs some work. Please excuse the shitty playing...

Well, it's not letting me upload the file. The format is m4a. So it may be a while until I figure it out, lol. Anyone have any suggestions/directions to upload an audio file?

Last edited:
Experiment with it, my stomp sounds better going in the return of the FX Loop on my DSL 100H
Oh, I plan on it. If it gets here quick enough I might gig it Saturday night.
Season 17 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

Just ordered a DSL40CRC. My first tube amp in at least a decade. Probably gonna just run my FM3/FM9 into the clean channel but who knows.
Wellll, in true Guitar Center fashion, the only one they had left was a floor model in Palm Springs. But they assured me it was "just like brand new". They did give me the choice of taking that one, cancelling or waiting for an actual new one. They also didn't offer to cut any money off the price. Sweetwater calls those demos, and there's usually a pretty decent discount. I think the gods have decided that I'm to forever be a modeling-only guy,

Wellll, in true Guitar Center fashion, the only one they had left was a floor model in Palm Springs. But they assured me it was "just like brand new". They did give me the choice of taking that one, cancelling or waiting for an actual new one. They also didn't offer to cut any money off the price. Sweetwater calls those demos, and there's usually a pretty decent discount. I think the gods have decided that I'm to forever be a modeling-only guy,

You can always find killer deals for DSL’s online, I wouldn’t get worked over by GC, especially with the recent price drops on them new.

Dont give up! Let the amp find you, Grasshopper, not the other way around...

head hand GIF

Back