50W vs 100W Tube Amp Volume Difference

giphy.gif
More like +3db proactive load :grin :grin

• 100%
Reactions: PLX
+3dB is double the power, +6dB is double the voltage (power less). This is because of the 10 * log(P/Pref) for power, and 20 * log(U/Uref) for voltage.

So at an ideal loudspeaker, an ideal amp would "cause" 3dB more SPL.

The "mathematical" or scientific doubling of SPL is 6dB more.
However, this does not correspond to a "humanly" perceived doubling in loudness. Therefore most often 10dB more SPL is described as a perceived loudness doubling.

Wanna dive deeper? --> https://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Sorry for being a smart-ass :cool:

However, this does not correspond to a "humanly" perceived doubling in loudness. Therefore most often 10dB more SPL is described as a perceived loudness doubling.
Which is an often repeated trope that is unfortunately complete nonsense, from a scientific standpoint.

I remember years ago being told it's not about watts, it's about square inches of speaker. So, a 50 watt amp cranked through two 412s is dramatically louder than a 100-watt through one 212. Not to mention the speaker/cab seems to affect the final tone way more than the amp.

Which is an often repeated trope that is unfortunately complete nonsense, from a scientific standpoint.
Hey fuyume, would you care to elaborate? It was literally decades ago, when I left the scientific field I was in, so there might be some more modern approaches to that subject.

The 100W imagine looks less compressed than the 50W in your image, and on the frequency graph, the 100W peaks between 100W and 200W have a bigger difference than the ones between 600hz and 800hz.

But yeah, often the differences in tone arent just down to having 50W more, or bigger transformers.
Having 3db of extra headroom will make me attack the strings a bit softer.
This will probably sound less strident, too...

A few years ago, I purchased a BC Audio Grand Prix. Bruce stated this was the first time he designed an amp with a 50/100 switch and went further to say that going from 50 to 100 watts was a 3 db increase - which is perfect for solos. Can't argue with him one bit and the amp is a total beast.

Back