Paul Gilbert - another amazing shredder and great gentleman

Fireproof

Shredder
For my birthday a few years ago, my wife bought me VIP “meet and greet“ tickets to his concert. Man he was amazing. And the coolest part was a guitar lesson for 10 of us that had the meet and greet access after his sound check and before the concert.

This isn’t from his concert, but it makes me kick myself for not making it to the Dallas Guitar Show this past May. Love him.

And this is actually one of my favorite videos. At about 1:00 into the video, his backing track messes up for the second (or third?) time and he just says F it and rocks out. That’s the way to handle equipment failure!

God bless his heart. Loved the Mr Big stuff. Was really into his playing back then. The question I’m always scared to ask these guys is if its humbling or what its like to go from playing to 10s of thousands of people to 50 people in a small bar. I really dont want to come off like a dick but really want to know how that affects them (if at all) and how they deal with and process these things. I know when I have a great gig with numbers in the hundreds then a small bar after and there are 20 people there, it can be a downer. I can only imagine these guys how they must feel (or not, that’s why I want to know).

God bless his heart. Loved the Mr Big stuff. Was really into his playing back then. The question I’m always scared to ask these guys is if its humbling or what its like to go from playing to 10s of thousands of people to 50 people in a small bar. I really dont want to come off like a dick but really want to know how that affects them (if at all) and how they deal with and process these things. I know when I have a great gig with numbers in the hundreds then a small bar after and there are 20 people there, it can be a downer. I can only imagine these guys how they must feel (or not, that’s why I want to know).
That's a good point, but I wouldn't know how to broach that subject either.
I often wonder how they're going to feel when they start "losing it," either due to physical issues or mental. Just like in the Rush song. I know I'm certainly not looking forward to it. Paul is already struggling with his hearing. I'm very thankful my own playing is still improving.

Paul Gilbert is a GOD level guitarist. LOVED Racer X and dude is just beyond words for me. Bruce Bouillette(sp?) kind of hangs in the shadows in guitar conversations but that dude is a ripper as well.

Paul Gilbert is a GOD level guitarist. LOVED Racer X and dude is just beyond words for me. Bruce Bouillette(sp?) kind of hangs in the shadows in guitar conversations but that dude is a ripper as well.
Agreed. He’s always been one of my favorite and I’ve loved seeing him switch to new stuff (blues, rock, slide), in addition to the shredding. And intermingling all the styles.

It’s holiday season so if you haven’t listened to his Christmas album - definitely check it out this year! It’s awesome.

1668521797607.jpeg

Fwiw, one thing to learn from Paul Gilbert: You need a decent sound but you don't need any authentic sounds. There's tons of videos when he's coming up with musical quotes, and he's usually playing all of them with his core sound, namely some rather welldriven marshall-ish tone. Regardless whether it's Beatles, latin, musical, disco or whatever stuff. The dude is a living music encyclopedia and nails everything without even wasting a single thought about the sound. And still: If you were the MD of whatever cover act, you'd hire him instantly and look no further. But for whatever reasons, each Top 40 guitarist seems to need a dedicated patch per each song.

Last edited:
Fwiw, one thing to learn from Paul Gilbert: You need a decent sound but you don't need any authentic sounds. There's tons of videos when he's coming up with musical quotes, and he's usually playing all of them with his core sound, namely some rather welldriven marshall-ish tone. Regardless whether it's Beatles, latin, musical, disco or whatever stuff. The dude is a living music encyclopedia and nails everything without even wasting a single thought about the sound. If you were the MD of whatever cover act, you'd hire him instantly and look no further. But for whatever reasons, each Top 40 guitarist seems to need a dedicated patch per each song.
What if he was using an RP500? :unsure:

Good to hear!
He went back to Marshalls -anyone know what line? Satriani is using the JVM's likely his signature ones. I owned one for a while it was ok but my JMP would eat it for lunch

This isn’t from his concert, but it makes me kick myself for not making it to the Dallas Guitar Show this past May. Love him.

Interesting interaction at around 2:48 where he has to cue the drummer (and bass player) to stop, seems like they missed it? They come back in okay, though.

He went back to Marshalls -anyone know what line?
When he first went back to Marshall I know he was using the Vintage Modern, but I think he may be using bog-standard reissues nowadays due to backline availability.
The most-recent video I can find on his live rig shows a rented 1959SLP and Fender Deluxe with his usual pedalboard. He seems to be getting most of the dirt from pedals.

When he first went back to Marshall I know he was using the Vintage Modern, but I think he may be using bog-standard reissues nowadays due to backline availability.
The most-recent video I can find on his live rig shows a rented 1959SLP and Fender Deluxe with his usual pedalboard. He seems to be getting most of the dirt from pedals.
What is a 'Bog-standard' ? I'll have to look at the vintage modern -not familiar

Back