Interesting Stage Setup

Jaji

Groupie
I recently saw a somewhat obscure artist (Paul Thorn) in a cave in Pellham, TN. I have seen him and his band a few other times before at other venues. In the past, I could clearly see amps on their stage. In the cave, there were NO amps on stage. So, I assumed modelers of some kind, but I could never get close enough to see what they were using. However, the lead guitarist kept tapping on a tablet between almost every song. I assumed he was making some tweaks to get whatever he wanted to hear, but I could literally hear no difference in his tone coming out of FOH.

The gear geek inside me really wanted to get closer to see what he had going on, but it just didn't happen. I believe this was the first concert I've ever attended where I saw modelers in use (aside from my own gigs, lol). Unfortunately, Paul Thorn will likely never have a Rig Rundown video on YT, so whatever they were using will likely remain a mystery.

The opening act also had no amps on stage, but he was playing an acoustic (solo performer). I can't help but wonder if the venue requires a silent stage (or close to it) so massive low frequencies won't rumble loose stones. The FOH mix was fairly light on low frequencies in general, and I literally never heard the bass guitar.

The lead guitarist tapping on a tablet could have been him adjusting an IEM mix. Some gigs I play have gone to phone/tablet diy control of your monitor mix. Or he might have had control of a click or backing tracks for the band. All that assumes IEMs…

D

i think Sunn O))) played in that same cave and did their latest rig run down there. they def had some amps and cabs on stage haha. bet you dont need much reverb down there but looks like a really fun place to play a show.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
This place looks rad, amps on stage:
AF1QipMhw6CVUkpi01AcGg-bEmkHrVznA4W2g_24JAaP=s1334-w720-h1334-rw

The lead guitarist tapping on a tablet could have been him adjusting an IEM mix. Some gigs I play have gone to phone/tablet diy control of your monitor mix. Or he might have had control of a click or backing tracks for the band. All that assumes IEMs…

D
This was the first thing that came to mind

• Love
Reactions: JT
It was the most interesting venue I've ever been to. I did not even think about adjusting monitor volumes, particularly for IEMs. Good call.

The cavern is supposed to maintain a fairly consistent temperature of (I think) 59 degrees. But, I can tell you, between the lights and body heat of the crowd, it's quite comfortable in there. Sound was not as reverberating as I suspected, either. Very cool venue, albeit not as big as others.

i think Sunn O))) played in that same cave and did their latest rig run down there. they def had some amps and cabs on stage haha. bet you dont need much reverb down there but looks like a really fun place to play a show.
I was going to say; I watched a rig rundown on this and there definitely were amps on the stage :oops: o_O:satan:rofl

Back