Partscasters, lets see 'em

itchyfingers

Roadie
Been noticing several partscasters in the #1 guitar thread so I figured they deserved their own. I'm certainly no luthier, but I love to tinker, and lets be honest, building a bolt on ain't exactly rocket surgery. :LOL:

img_4_1683174226565.png

Started like this, a one piece swamp ash body and bird's eye fender custom shop soft V neck.

img_18_1683174669924.png

img_8_1683174311987.png

Built by Kip Elder of Starr Guitars in Orlando. Seymour Duncan noiseless pups and a Blade Runner trem. Pewter Nitro over 50's burst with moderate relic treatment.

2015. USACG neck (before that company was bought).

Got an Alder body blank and sealed it myself and then sprayed it with Ocean Turquoise Metallic nitro. I'm defintiely never going to spray nitro again; that was a nightmare. Metallic nitro is particularly hard to deal with. Nasty stuff, anyway. 😱

Lollar pups. Staytrem bridge. Originally had the Fender vintage vibrato unit installed, but I couldn't get a good enough break angle without jacking up the bridge stupidly high, so bought a Descendent vibrato unit to mitigate that geometry issue.

jazzmaster_body_tort.jpg

2015. USACG neck (before they were bought).

Got a body blank myself and sprayed it with Ocean Turquoise Metallic nitro. I'm defintiely never going to spray nitro again. Metallic nitro is particularly hard to deal with. Nasty stuff, anyway. 😱

Lollar pups. Staytrem bridge. Originally had the Fender vintage vibrato unit installed, but I couldn't get a good enough break angle without jacking up the bridge stupidly high, so bought a Descendent vibrato unit to mitigate that geometry issue.

View attachment 7259
Great color. Nitro is a pain, but it ages so well.

Great color. Nitro is a pain, but it ages so well.

What's funny is that I accidentally ended up with a "thinskin" because I didn't have enough paint or the will to add another OTM coat, and 1 or two extra clear coats (which I should have done); so when you look closely, in the right light you can clearly see all the detail lines in the woodgrain.

I often laugh when I go into music stores and see that a lot of the modern Fender Jazzmasters have crappy string / neck alignment (E string too close to one edge) and that my partscaster is way better... perfect, actually 🙂

Last edited:
Mine was intended to have a relic 50's burst finish, but Kip called saying he sprayed the outer black edge coat too dark and too wide. He offered to strip it down and start over, but I told him to take some creative license. I love the final finish over finish result.

Happy accidents sometimes yield the best outcome. I love the thin nitro on your guitar. Don't change it!

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg

Waited about 6 months for the neck from Musikraft, once it finally got to MJT they shipped them both to me in about 2 weeks. With some advice from our resident tech, @Eagle I had the whole thing together that night. The neck had a satin feel to it as it wasn’t buffed out, so with some cutting polish and elbow grease I got it looking like glass. And got all the nitro off the frets.

IMG_0435.jpeg
IMG_0455.jpeg

And the one on the left I bought assembled already, it’s got a fatass 1” AllParts neck on it. Seller was adamant the body wood is ash but I’m thinking it’s pine….either way, I don’t really care, it’s a beautiful piece of wood and it sounds great! GIlmour EMG’s in the Gilmour Strat and Pribora Classics in the ‘Old Man’ Strat.
IMG_2292.jpeg

nice pair 🤘

pics are showing up in the quote, but I'm seeing missing picture icons in your post. 🤔
Yeah, not sure what's going on. I've tried it multiple ways and those 2 pics won't show. Which is weird because I've posted them before.

Yeah, not sure what's going on. I've tried it multiple ways and those 2 pics won't show. Which is weird because I've posted them before.
You're not alone. I tried posting pics in the OP, and I can see them in the preview, but they kept coming up as dead links on the thread.

Are you using imgur?

Back