One pissed off rebuilt Dual Recto!

If Mesa was smart, they'd buy a few of these modded Rectos, take the best elements of each, and make their own hyper modern ultra tight monster high gain amp.
I feel like this is the same thing that's been said of Marshall for so long. It really is a wonder to me (a layman) that companies don't take a closer look at these things to determine how it could be productized and might appeal to potential customers. Having typed that, I have to assume Mesa/Marshall have done this and just determined it wasn't worth the effort, but who knows.

I feel like this is the same thing that's been said of Marshall for so long. It really is a wonder to me (a layman) that companies don't take a closer look at these things to determine how it could be productized and might appeal to potential customers. Having typed that, I have to assume Mesa/Marshall have done this and just determined it wasn't worth the effort, but who knows.

I hear you. It does seem kind of crazy for amp makers to just entirely dismiss these things though. The popularity of all these modders, who are all kind of taking these amps in a similar new direction, should be a clear indicator of which way the wind is blowing.

The mods aren't necessary, nor are they universally loved.

No amp is universally loved. That's why there are a whole bunch of different ones. :)

But there definitely seems to be quite a few people interested in these super-tightening mods, enough for Mesa to take notice at least.

I have a feeling that if you compared the number of units produced to mods performed the number is small, if not insignificant

I wonder how much that number might increase if people could get these types of amps direct from an official manufacturer or dealer as opposed to buying an amp and then shipping it out again to "some guy in a garage" somewhere across the planet, all of whom are known to have very long wait times.

Last edited:
I always get a kick out of the multiple times a year some forum dweller explains to me that I “have to boost or mod a Recto” or it’s crap.

I hate to gatekeep, but I’m in my 40s and have owned a Recto since I was 16, played hundreds of gigs with them. Go sit the fuck down.

I hate to gatekeep, but I’m in my 40s and have owned a Recto since I was 16, played hundreds of gigs with them. Go sit the fuck down.
I mean, if your gig calls for a flubby, farty mess, by all means… you do you. 😂

I grew up in the 80’s and have always gravitated towards amp tones with a tight bottom end.

I grew up in the 80’s and have always gravitated towards amp tones with a tight bottom end.
I have a 99 Triple that is tight on its own. Nothing like the others I have.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

I hear you. I love those tight tones too, which is why I bought amps that create those tones.

A Dual Rec just isn’t that sound, and while a boost might help get you closer, there are better amps to target tight high gain. IMO Mark series or modded Marshall wins for that stuff all day long.

The modded amp in this video sounds cool, but it doesn’t really sound like a Dual Rectifier anymore.

I hear you. I love those tight tones too, which is why I bought amps that create those tones.

A Dual Rec just isn’t that sound, and while a boost might help get you closer, there are better amps to target tight high gain. IMO Mark series or modded Marshall wins for that stuff all day long.

The modded amp in this video sounds cool, but it doesn’t really sound like a Dual Rectifier anymore.

I don’t know if I agree. A Mark doesn’t really do “tighter Recto” tones. They do their own different thing. And a Marshall is definitely not going to get you anywhere close to a boosted Recto. A Marshall can slice like a boosted Recto sure but it’s not going to have anywhere near the low end wallop that kicks you in the chest and it’s not going to be able to give you anywhere near the gigantic scooped mids wall of sound a Recto can.

IMO nothing out there really nails the boosted Recto in Modern Mode thing quite like the real deal.

I don’t know if I agree. A Mark doesn’t really do “tighter Recto” tones. They do their own different thing. And a Marshall is definitely not going to get you anywhere close to a boosted Recto. A Marshall can slice like a boosted Recto sure but it’s not going to have anywhere near the low end wallop that kicks you in the chest and it’s not going to be able to give you anywhere near the gigantic scooped mids wall of sound a Recto can.

IMO nothing out there really nails the boosted Recto in Modern Mode thing quite like the real deal.
If the boosted Recto sound is what you’re going for, go for it. It’s a sound. I’m not going to yuck your yum.

I personally prefer my Mark III Blue Stripe over my Rev G (even when boosted) for anything that needs to be tight. I get amazing results blending them too.

If the boosted Recto sound is what you’re going for, go for it. It’s a sound. I’m not going to yuck your yum.

I personally prefer my Mark III Blue Stripe over my Rev G (even when boosted) for anything that needs to be tight. I get amazing results blending them too.

I dig my Mark IV too. Btw like you I don’t think Rectos are unusable without a boost. There are a ton of cool sounds in them.

I guess I’m a “why not both” guy.

Last edited:
Agree.

I use them without boosts loads, definitely less common for me to use a boost than go straight in. Boosts are needed to achieve a particular sound with them but it overlooks so much of what you can get from those amps. Plenty of solid high gain tones in there without a boost.

If this is your “ideal” recto sound then it means you don’t really like the rectifier sound.
The Recto’s “sizzle” in the cinder frequencies
actually keeps noise down when your deep in mega-high gain.
Hit it with a wah and you can control the squeal and rip everything to shards.
The best Recto?
The one’s guitar players use live & loud.
Doesn’t matter the mode or mod..

Back