Official original Marshall JVM appreciation thread

How strange. I'm pretty sure I don't get that, but I will double check. What loadbox?

Is the loadbox sat on top of the amp and is that causing some sort of feedback ???
Im pretty sure its all to do with volume/output. I would get the exact same phenomena when I'd drive the crap out of the 5150iii 50w into the same loadbox (Redseven amp central). Second attempt and kept stuff tame... I can easily get the shrieks but on the below settings its fine, even if I turn the noise gate all the way down... totally fine imo... just gotta watch out and not go OTT I guess

Unlisted YT vid, just some riffs to show the settings and basic boost.
I tried the SD1 but I went back to the Bonsai OD1 mode. This same tone works on a bunch of heavier stuff (Drop G) through to this (Drop C)... I'm toying with the idea of downsizing my amps in general but the JVM aint going anywhere!

Ok I just got it and IT SLAPS, I feel right at home on all 3 chans of OD1.

I'm running it into a loadbox and am getting some savage screeching if I go OTT on volume/gain either on its own or with pedals. I've had this same kind of thing with other amps and its generally just a case of keeping the overall output under control (not 100% sure this is whats happening here but feels like the same thing as other times).

I'm also getting "added screech" when using the loop, seems to be quieter without the loop.
To anyone using a loadbox are you getting this kind of thing, do you have to be ultra cautious on overall volume? How are you running the power sections?

Either way I can run it pretty quiet and it will sound great on recordings. I'd just rather figure it out as best I can because I hate turning a dial or using a different pedal and it starts screeching and I have to do a balancing act. If there's some better way to manage it all I'm all ears.

NO RAGRETS
have you tried physically moving the load box and amp further apart? could be the transformers interacting. Lehle P-Split/Iso etc are amazing for quietening this kind of stuff down. Some combinations of amps+load boxes can be prone to it

have you tried physically moving the load box and amp further apart? could be the transformers interacting. Lehle P-Split/Iso etc are amazing for quietening this kind of stuff down. Some combinations of amps+load boxes can be prone to it
I'll do a vid tomorrow to show what happens, sounds almost almost microphonic.... there seems to be a few gremlins I'll go through them all tomorrow but they can all be neutralised by just lowering MV/output so I guess that also works haha. Moving stuff further is just too painful, room only so big and its like a spider web of cable lengths that are generally too short to make a real difference. I did move the amp 40-50cm away on the bench and it was identical so less possibility its a proximity thing.

Hmmm if the lehle is a set and forget thing that could work as a general helper... pretty much at the point of throwing money on utility boxes to make life easier/better

I'll do a vid tomorrow to show what happens, sounds almost almost microphonic.... there seems to be a few gremlins I'll go through them all tomorrow but they can all be neutralised by just lowering MV/output so I guess that also works haha. Moving stuff further is just too painful, room only so big and its like a spider web of cable lengths that are generally too short to make a real difference. I did move the amp 40-50cm away on the bench and it was identical so less possibility its a proximity thing.

Hmmm if the lehle is a set and forget thing that could work as a general helper... pretty much at the point of throwing money on utility boxes to make life easier/better

I’d 100% recommend a Lehle P-Split for you anyway, I’m sure it’d help here but they’re generally all round great problem solvers in a number of situations. They can double up as reamp boxes or DI’s or splitters as well as polarity flip and ground isolators. Super handy thing to have laying around in a studio, they almost always fix any ground issues I have and even when there’s no problems they sometimes get the noise a smidge lower which can help with lower ESR’s. Can’t go wrong.

I’d 100% recommend a Lehle P-Split for you anyway, I’m sure it’d help here but they’re generally all round great problem solvers in a number of situations. They can double up as reamp boxes or DI’s or splitters as well as polarity flip and ground isolators. Super handy thing to have laying around in a studio, they almost always fix any ground issues I have and even when there’s no problems they sometimes get the noise a smidge lower which can help with lower ESR’s. Can’t go wrong.

Man, nailed it… totally all this stuff. I have EMI in this room but I know what that sounds like, it’s definitely this kind of stuff the fryette dude is showing off.

Do you run it the same as him say between the boost pedal and the amp? Either way I’m gonna order one and see how it goes.

Just realised I’ve got a Morley hum eliminator, I’ll try that after the boost tomorrow. I’ve used it at different points in the chain with varying success, see if it helps there

Back