Not All USB Cables Are Created Equal

la szum

Goatlord
Discrimination is real. OMG! I just swapped out a USB Cable and what a difference.

How far do you some of you go to source quality USB Cables? Given how essential they are,
and that ALL of our audio is passing back and forth on that USB Insterstate, it seems to me that
spending more rather than less is really important.

High quality recommendations are welcome! :beer

Discrimination is real. OMG! I just swapped out a USB Cable and what a difference.
The gold ones have the best tonez! Especially the expensive ones! :rofl

To be honest, I just buy the Monoprice ones and have never had an issue. As the electrical engineer I worked with used to say, “copper is copper.” Ones and zeroes.

Indeed. Very expensive USB cables with rare and exquisite materials are as essential as a guitar that stays in tune. They can elevate your system's performance by revealing tighter, better defined inflection and probiotical imaging, while improving transient response, dynamic resolution and accuracy across the frequency spectrum. Jewels like the $40,000 Siltech Emperor Crown will provide you with ultimate organic palpability, textured but smooth treble, detailed richer bass, airy midrange, harmonic textures, refined soundstage and insight, incredibly lush liquidity, sense of immediacy, fluidity and dynamic flair, coherent and well-structured quietness around instruments, sophisticated temperament, ethereal bloom, and delicate plankton. You can really hear the electric force propagate cleanly and elegantly along the surface of the conductor

Ralph Fiennes Smile GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Last edited:
Indeed. Very expensive USB cables with rare and exquisite materials are as essential as a guitar that stays in tune. They can elevate your system's performance by revealing tighter, better defined inflection and probiotical imaging, while improving transient response, dynamic resolution and accuracy, across the frequency spectrum. Jewels like the $40,000 Siltech Emperor Crown will provide you with ultimate organic palpability, textured but smooth treble, detailed richer bass, airy midrange, harmonic textures, refined soundstage and insight, incredibly lush liquidity, sense of immediacy, fluidity and dynamic flair, coherent and well-structured quietness around instruments, sophisticated temperament, ethereal bloom, and delicate plankton. You can really hear the electric force propagate cleanly and elegantly along the surface of the conductor

Ralph Fiennes Smile GIF by Searchlight Pictures
words point GIF

1. Record the same material on DAW tracks using different USB cables (ensuring that the recording starts at exactly at the same point)
2. Revert the phase of one track
3. Mix the two tracks
4. See if the result is a null signal

Comparing the zeros and ones of the resulting files can be an alternative method

Work Wow GIF by eppendorf

But seriously a good cable is essential
I do buy good cables, but don't go crazy on the price and fall for all that snake oil

Maybe it is just the Placebo Effect or the Power of Suggestion, but I am noticing
an huge difference in playback/monitoring quality with a new USB cable going
from my interface/mixer to my computer.

And I didn't eat no damn Cheerios either! :LOL:

I do not believe that a USB cable can change the audio quality. That would require not to simply swap a zero for a one (or vice-versa), but to change many of them, and to do it in a very subtle and "intelligent" way that would not create a communication error or a nasty audio artifact.

Communication errors causing trouble with the audio device can happen (my troubles with the Axe-FX III USB audio device disappeared when I replaced the cable). But I cannot imagine how the audio quality could be affected by a random data error though a serial data cable.

Now I use a $5 "printer cable" with a nice nylon braid that doesn't cause any issue
1700356025748.jpeg

Last edited:
Shielding is certainly an issue for less expensive cables. I don't care if you are transferring an analog or digital signal, if you are in an environment with EMF, RFID, etc. signals passing through the air, a properly shielded cable is a must. The wire itself (copper or aluminum) may not be preventing the smooth transfer of the data, but other factors can still make some cables better than others.

Also to consider is the longevity of the cables and how well the connectors were fastened is also something you will not have to think about as much beyond a certain price level.

Of course, all of this is up to the user and A/B comparisons with real test equipment would be the scientific way to break it down. Maybe that is done in the video referenced above. I go for cables that are not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive. I want oxygen free copper, good shielding and good connectors. A sheathing that does not easily pick up crud and is easy to clean checks boxes for me as well!

@la szum , maybe HD makes some really nice overpriced cables you can get that will make you feel a part of that blissful family you recently joined ;~))

I do not believe that a USB cable can change the audio quality. That would require not to simply swap a zero for a one (or vice-versa), but to change many of them, and to do it in a very subtle and "intelligent" way that would not create a communication error or a nasty audio artifact.

Communication errors causing trouble with the audio device can happen (my troubles with the Axe-FX III USB audio device disappeared when I replaced the cable). But I cannot imagine how the audio quality could be affected by a random data error though a serial data cable.

Now I use a $5 "printer cable" with a nice nylon braid that doesn't cause any issue
View attachment 13933
I've got several of those same cables. They work well for me

In regards to cables, I’ll give you my non-professional $0.02:

1. Aside from mandatory considerations, such as quality of cable ends, shielding, and capacitance, the point of diminishing returns for the pricing on cables is very inflated.

2. Don’t buy into snake oil. When shopping, listen to people who actually use and not only the dude on YouTube who got paid to tell you. Or your “Sales Engineer.” Ask the pros questions! I. e., “what type of ends should I avoid?” Or, do they hold up?” “How many Axel Rose whips of the mic did you get before the solder broke?”

Source: I sold wiring and cables in a professional capacity for over 10 years.

pains me that people make a living off flogging this shite. would be mildly amusing if it wasn’t such an obvious scam

Back