Not All USB Cables Are Created Equal

Ha no I was just curious in what way you were noticing an improvement or whether it was purposefully vague. Definitely keen to hear more!

Just wait. I am full of dumb questions----in case you had not noticed. :LOL:

Maybe it is just better shielding, and less "noise/interference" that made it seem like
an improvement in sound quality.

I am just curious how there can be so many variations in bandwidth, Ed, and yet still some
are seeming to say that doesn't matter. Or won't matter. :idk

Are all 0s and 1s created equal then? Are they neutral and impersonal? Devoid of value?

And if "headroom/bandwidth" is not important then why do people want more of it rather
than less?
depends on context and results. some situations aren’t fussy, some are. There’s usually a lot more shit that I can get more noticeable improvement than digital cables but having good quality stuff is no bad thing.

But I’m curious to know what you like better, are you saying things sound better? or you’re getting less dropouts? or they’re sturdier? or they tangle less? or last longer?

You must be outside North America? Fractal includes only power cables with their products...

Funny that they sent me one, too. Just like @Stone described it as being.

20231119_163936.jpg

Funny that they sent me one, too. Just like @Stone described it as being.

View attachment 13976
Are you also in Canadia?

I have purchased directly from Fractal over the last 10+ years the following. Aside from a power cable (and a printed manual way back when) there's nothing else included:

• Axe Fx II mkII
  • Axe Fx II XL+
  • MFC-101 mkIII (included a power adapter)
  • Axe Fx III
  • FM9 Standard
  • FM9 Turbo
I know that (for example) G66 adds a USB cable (and sometimes chocolates).

For power delivery, the USB cable needs to work with the USB Power Delivery specifications so this is the case where the cable does matter. It is often not intuitive to know if the cable is capable enough to allow devices to negotiate a higher power delivery capability.

Yeah well, but I'm also noticing differences in data transfer speeds.

Are all 0s and 1s created equal then? Are they neutral and impersonal? Devoid of value?
Do you know of any 0 with a value that isn't 0? Or the same for 1?
And if "headroom/bandwidth" is not important then why do people want more of it rather
than less?
Bandwidth is different. I didn't say it wasn't important, but it won't make the audio sound better.

Higher bandwidth will allow faster transfer of data. That's important for some things and not for others.

Fractal supports USB 2.0 specification. That has more than enough bandwidth to handle the possible I/O they send.

My Mackie DL32-R digital mixer can run 32+ tracks of simultaneous digital audio over USB 2.0...

Last edited:
Thanks, I know data transfer speeds can vary with different USB cables. I think most people have
experienced a "slow" charging USB Cable with their cellphones. Change the cable and suddenly
it is charging faster. Different cable = different result.

I also get people (some people) are saying that will be irrelevant related to sound, and the quality of
that sound as it is transmitted through a USB cable.
:idk

Back to school: that is simply Ohm's Law. A wire of higher diameter allows to carry more current (Amps), therefore allowing a faster charge. But that doesn't normally affect a USB digital audio cable because the current required to transport the data is very low. In the worst scenario (excessive length, damaged/rusted wire, faulty connection, or a sub-standard quality cable) it would stop working or it would cause problems with the USB driver, but it would not affect the audio quality

1700440646101.jpeg

Last edited:
No affiliation. But these can't all be nutjobs. If a self-described "audiophile" can hear a difference
these has too be something more than nothing going on. :idk

1700445598030.png

No affiliation. But these can't all be nutjobs. If a self-described "audiophile" can hear a difference
these has too be something more than nothing going on. :idk

View attachment 13984
So, now "audiophiles" are also a credible source of information? :facepalm

Audiophiles are a kind of earth-flatters when it comes to scientific facts.
1700446007632.jpeg

Blind A/B tests are kryptonite for audiophiles. They cannot survive it

Last edited:
I used it last week and I'll use it again tonight,

"No one is smart enough to be right all the time. No one is dumb enough to be wrong all the time."

Unless you think there are actual qualitative differences in USB Cables. Apparently. :LOL:

So, now "audiophiles" are also a credible source of information? :facepalm

Audiophiles a kind of earth-flatters when it comes to scientific facts.
View attachment 13985
Blind A/B tests are kryptonite for audiophiles. They cannot survive it

I don't think the gaggle of Tone Tweakers up in this place are that far off from being in the same
nuthouse as those dreaded "Audiophiles" you are mocking. :LOL:

Back