NGD: Ibanez Prestige RG652FX

TheTrueZoltan!

Shredder
I bought this wonderful Ibanez Prestige RG652FX yesterday. A very nice guy sold it near me for a really good price.
I'm not a big fan of the white (ew!) Seymour Duncan Custom & 59 he installed. But since the guitar sounds much more midrange-heavy than my others, I decided against EMGs for once and ordered a set of DiMarzio D-Activators instead. I think that should be an excellent combination.
Much to my wife's chagrin, I've been playing pretty much non-stop since I bought it, but the guitar just feels so damn good to play...

RG652FX.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet, huge congrats! :chef

I think the thing I love the most about my RG is how it never moves more than 2.1 mm while slamming on the strings. Mine's a heavy one and the only RG I ever played - but it makes some things much easier to play.

May you love it long time!

I‘ve been playing the guitar the whole day and am absolutely loving it!
After I got used to the PUs not being EMGs and I adjusted my settings accordingly, the beast breathed fire.
I'm now even fairly okay with the Seymour Duncan Custom, remembered that I had one in a PRS SE years ago, and a simple change of magnet from Ceramic to Alnico 8 improved what I didn't like about the pickup. Accordingly, I have canceled the D-Activators for now and will try a magnet swap first. However, I don't know if I can get used to the white color in the long run. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Currently riffing:

You want the good life, you break your back
You snap your fingers, you snap your neck

Is that considered Proto Nu Metal nowadays? :unsure:

Damn, the RG is screaming for 90s stuff, which is what I always play anyway. ;)
LOVE Prong :love I saw them on the Prove You Wrong tour. Fucking legendary \m/

I revisit the magnet swap rabbit hole I was already in a few years ago.
The same initial situation as back then: Duncan Custom in the bridge a bit too scooped and with ice pick highs, Duncan '59 in the neck position too flubby. I've now ordered the same magnets I had success with back then: an Alnico 8 for the Custom to give it a little more midrange and sweeten the highs while keeping the output roughly the same. An Alnico 4 for the '59 to make it a little tighter and more balanced overall.
If my memory doesn't deceive me, that should achieve exactly what I want in terms of sound.

Last edited:
I revisit the magnet swap rabbit hole I was already in a few years ago.
The same initial situation as back then: Duncan Custom in the bridge a bit too scooped and with ice pick highs, Duncan '59 in the neck position too flubby. I've now ordered the same magnets I had success with back then: an Alnico 8 for the Custom to give it a little more midrange and sweeten the highs while keeping the output roughly the same. An Alnico 4 for the '59 to make it a little tighter and more balanced overall.
If my memory doesn't deceive me, that should achieve exactly what I want in terms of sound.
Custom 8

Regular Season Wow GIF by NBA

Back