NGD: 1993 Ibanez JS6

Waiting Gif GIF

Just got done deep cleaning and restringing it, which is the first thing I do when I receive a used guitar. I completely disassembled it, cleaned all the hardware, fretboard, and Micro-Meshed the frets. This thing is clean for a 30 year old guitar!

I’m going to do a full setup this evening. The action is a little low for my taste and I want to make sure the intonation is in check. I briefly checked the board with a fret rocker and the frets are pretty much perfect. I don’t even think this got played much because I can’t find any fret wear whatsoever. Nut is cut perfectly.

I forgot how good these Golden Era Ibanez’s were. The neck is almost identical to my 60’s Roadworn Strat which is my ideal profile. So far, I’m happy.

That’s crazy clean. Not a single ding or fingernail mark in that body and it’s basically just unprotected, soft wood. If it weren’t for the pitting on the bridge and neck plate you’d never even know that guitar was played. That’s pretty nuts.

Congrats, man!!!

Bluesy Satch incoming!

That’s crazy clean. Not a single ding or fingernail mark in that body and it’s basically just unprotected, soft wood. If it weren’t for the pitting on the bridge and neck plate you’d never even know that guitar was played. That’s pretty nuts.
There are a few marks or light scratches, as well as slight buckle rash in the finish, but it’s hard to pick up on camera. Nothing a little sandpaper and tung oil couldn’t take care of, but I’m going to leave it as is. IMO, it’s just patina.

The grub screws in the saddle are a little rough, but that’s an easy fix. This one will be a player, so it’ll get dinged and corroded anyway.

Woohoo! Those early 90s Wizard necks are the best there is, IMO. Enjoy the moment!

I don't think the any of the JS models has the Wizard neck. It's a thicker more round, vintage profile.
I did not know that. I used to be a major Sabre guy, and all of those did, so I guess I just assumed the Rs did as well.

I did not know that. I used to be a major Sabre guy, and all of those did, so I guess I just assumed the Rs did as well.
It starts a little thinner than a modern C at the first fret at .787, but is .849 at the 12th and a bit more D than C shaped. Joe likes a rounder radius @ 9.89" so pretty close to a Strat for specs on the neck.

It starts a little thinner than a modern C at the first fret at .787, but is .849 at the 12th and a bit more D than C shaped. Joe likes a rounder radius @ 9.89" so pretty close to a Strat for specs on the neck.
Not sure if the JS6 neck is different than the other JS models, because this one is definitely more of a C. Maybe slightly flat on the back? It’s very similar to the neck on my Strat.

Just checked it out a little closer. Definitely D-ish, but nowhere near say, a Charvel Speed Neck or Fender D. But not as much shoulder as a C.

Last edited:
That thing is sexy as hell and SO clean! :love

Reminds me of the first RG I ever bought. I think it was the RG321MH?
I generally don't like unfinished / matte guitars, but that oiled mahogany look is so nice. Like an old rifle or something.

Congrats!

Back