NGD: Gretsch Jet 2P90

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
This was a bit of an impulse buy yesterday while at a GC. Pickups have a shocking amount of beef and grind. Pretty high output and VERY mid forward. Indeed, this is the most aggressive guitar I currently own, edging out my Epi SG by quite a bit and my HSS Strat by a hair. I've got some pretty solid gain-stage options starting with the tele, moving up to the SG, to Strat and then into this guy.

Weight is good (feels about same as my Strat; SLIGHTLY heavier than my tele -- guessing right around 8 and an ounce or two). Build quality is SHOCKINGLY good. Looks significantly higher quality in terms of materials and hardware than the Epi SG does. My first Bigsby -- this is the b50 and doesn't have a roller bridge...tuning stability seems to be not great, even when used lightly. Tuning stability is totally fine when not wanging on the bar. One thing I need to adapt to is the pickup selector takes some effort to get to go through middle to go straight from bridge to neck or vice versa. I don't know if Jet's sit in the lap differently than Les Pauls, or if adaptions I've made to my playing style since moving from mostly-strat to mostly-tele, or I'm just more tolerant with this, but its the most comfy single-cut I've ever had in terms of seated playing.

IMG_0034.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try one of these. If all my guitars burned down, I'd probably restart my collection with something like this.

The prices on these look very reasonable (which seems to be unheard of in recent times).

Looks great and I can see why it might be more comfortable than other single cuts. LP we used to have here used to dig into my ribs when I was sitting down. Probably bad posture, but still.

So... ordering a roller bridge? I've never set one up myself though; it might be a total PITA!

The prices on these look very reasonable (which seems to be unheard of in recent times).

Looks great and I can see why it might be more comfortable than other single cuts. LP we used to have here used to dig into my ribs when I was sitting down. Probably bad posture, but still.

So... ordering a roller bridge? I've never set one up myself though; it might be a total PITA!
LP's always just feel like they've got too much unsupported junk in the trunk and are gonna fall off. I'm not too picky about rib cut. But I do notice that I've gone back to more of my acoustic approach on the tele where my forearm is closer to parallel with the ground and doesn't follow the forearm cut of a Strat so directly -- it kinda hugs the guitar to the body a bit more actively, which may be helping.

No interest in changing the bridge...bigsby is more for looks than anything else?

Back