Epi IBG: LP Modern or Ltd. Standard 50's Outfit? (Soon-ish NGD)

dronerstone

Roadie
Hey there, this place feels cozy! :)

Since I'll turn freakin' 40 on Nov. 10, I'm planning to buy myself a nice Epiphone Les Paul.

Gibson are out of my budget range, unfortunately - but it seems the current upper-tier Epi models get good reviews.

Besides the tuning stability, I'm usually a big fan of LP type guitars, and I have a few nice players:

- 1980 Vantage VLP-540 (easily my go-to, main guitar, crazy output MMK-45)
- 1969 "Jedson"-branded LPC (slightly quirky, but still decent, a lovely old voice)
- 2010 Ibanez AR250 (modded to approximate Ovation GP specs, a chunky, loud beast of a guitar)
- 2010 Ibanez AR200 (w/ a Les Trem II, good medium-output all-rounder)

And now I'm torn between the Epi Standard 50's Outfit and the LP Modern... Ugh.

Apart from a little fret work and setup, both should be pretty good deals. Which would you choose, and why?

I recently came across a Standard 50's Outfit in a local store. The neck is a bit too thick for my tastes, but it still felt like an awesome guitar, and looked very pretty, I even liked the matte finish, which I actually though I wouldn't. Gibson pickups and intestines add to make this one kinda interesting...

The LP Modern, on the other hand, seems to tick more boxes, with its "asymmetrical slim taper" neck and heel cutout. I'm not a huge fan of weight relief, though. I like it, when a guitar feels heavy, at least to an extent where it doesn't cross into "dull/dead" territory. Also, I'd have to replace those fugly clear pot covers instantly, yet that's not difficult or expensive. I dig the "Graphite Black" and "Faded Pelham" colors, and would probably go for the Graphite, since black LP's always catch my eyes.
How are the Epi Probuckers (precisely, the PB2 and PB3) that these come with, do they have decent/beefy enough output?

Anyone have both? I'd love to hear some opinions. :)

Thanks in advance!!! Cheers

For me - I just LOVE the asymmetrical slim taper necks and so I would go for the modern. I’m not a big fan of the fatter ‘50’s necks. And I used to feel the same about heavy vs. weight relief but I have Gibson LPs in both categories, and while there’s a feel difference and slight tonal difference, it doesn’t bother me at all. Just different “character” to the guitars.

Other than that - I’ve not played the Epis so don’t have insights as to their pickups, etc.

Good luck!

For me - I just LOVE the asymmetrical slim taper necks and so I would go for the modern. I’m not a big fan of the fatter ‘50’s necks. And I used to feel the same about heavy vs. weight relief but I have Gibson LPs in both categories, and while there’s a feel difference and slight tonal difference, it doesn’t bother me at all. Just different “character” to the guitars.

Other than that - I’ve not played the Epis so don’t have insights as to their pickups, etc.

Good luck!
Thank you, much appreciated, and actually kinda confirmed my very slight leaning to the Modern. ;)

Judging by reviews, of course there's a difference between Epi/Gibson with these models, but apart from the Epi Modern omitting the tone bypass push/pull pot, it's mainly the COO, QC, and pickups.

Back