NGD: Baby’s First Telecaster (40th Anniversary Squier)

eggpl@nt

Roadie
The Telecaster bug has long nibbled at me, and I finally resigned myself to it. This is my first Telecaster in 15 years or so of playing, and it’s the only guitar I currently own that isn’t an EBMM.

I was at my local Guitar Center, and I saw a few of the 40th Anniversary Squires hanging on the wall—one in Dakota Red, one in Cream, and one in Mocha. I’ve read good things about these, so I decided to try them out. Long story, short—I bounced between the three for 15 minutes, then spent another 45 minutes bouncing between the Red and Mocha. I eventually settled on the Mocha because it seemed a bit more lively acoustically. The Red and Mocha played, more or less, equally well, but neither was perfect. Both had finish imperfections, and the Mocha maybe even had a slightly worse setup, but what can you do for $390? I’ll give it as solid setup when my shipment of strings arrives.

I brought the guitar home and plugged it into my Axe Fx. I loaded up a basic ODS Clean preset, and there it was—the sound I expected from a Telecaster. I like it. I played around with a few other presets, and in general, I think I prefer the Tele sound to the Strat sound. (FWIW, I’m using my EBMM Cutlass as my Strat point of reference.)

All in all, this is a fine guitar. I’m relatively impressed with it. I like the satin finish on the body and neck. The pickups and tuners are fine, though I’ll probably use this guitar as an opportunity to dabble in modifications.

Compared to my EBMMs, the nut width feels significantly wider. I know the EBMM nut width is divisive, and after picking up a non-EBMM, I understand why they might be really weird for folks in general. The EBMM Valentine is often compared to a Telecaster, but I don’t immediately hear the similarity. I’ll have to spend more time comparing them, especially as I put “better” components in the Squier.

And here it is, for your viewing pleasure:

IMG_6386.jpeg

Really interesting looking guitar for a Squier. Satin finish with aged hardware?

Highly recommend Gotoh "In Tune" saddles, helps with intonation and keeps strings from sliding around.

For pickups I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio Area T models...it's a little warmer in the bridge and clearer in the neck and completely noiseless. But if you go noiseless, be aware you need to get a non-magnetic bridge (either stainless steel or brass).

The Telecaster bug has long nibbled at me, and I finally resigned myself to it. This is my first Telecaster in 15 years or so of playing, and it’s the only guitar I currently own that isn’t an EBMM.

I was at my local Guitar Center, and I saw a few of the 40th Anniversary Squires hanging on the wall—one in Dakota Red, one in Cream, and one in Mocha. I’ve read good things about these, so I decided to try them out. Long story, short—I bounced between the three for 15 minutes, then spent another 45 minutes bouncing between the Red and Mocha. I eventually settled on the Mocha because it seemed a bit more lively acoustically. The Red and Mocha played, more or less, equally well, but neither was perfect. Both had finish imperfections, and the Mocha maybe even had a slightly worse setup, but what can you do for $390? I’ll give it as solid setup when my shipment of strings arrives.

I brought the guitar home and plugged it into my Axe Fx. I loaded up a basic ODS Clean preset, and there it was—the sound I expected from a Telecaster. I like it. I played around with a few other presets, and in general, I think I prefer the Tele sound to the Strat sound. (FWIW, I’m using my EBMM Cutlass as my Strat point of reference.)

All in all, this is a fine guitar. I’m relatively impressed with it. I like the satin finish on the body and neck. The pickups and tuners are fine, though I’ll probably use this guitar as an opportunity to dabble in modifications.

Compared to my EBMMs, the nut width feels significantly wider. I know the EBMM nut width is divisive, and after picking up a non-EBMM, I understand why they might be really weird for folks in general. The EBMM Valentine is often compared to a Telecaster, but I don’t immediately hear the similarity. I’ll have to spend more time comparing them, especially as I put “better” components in the Squier.

And here it is, for your viewing pleasure:

View attachment 10337
Looks like a great guitar for the money (and MF seems to have them on sale for $300?): https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...Tn86G1CmGba6SRwnclv6XKSPeU2qfeJsaAmuZEALw_wcB

Yeah, the 1 5/8" nut width is definitely a unique thing. The Squier necks tend toward the skinny side, too, which likely adds to the "this thing feels totally different!" vibe.

An HSS strat is probably still more versatile than a tele, but its also a bit more generic where a tele while still versatile, can't seem to avoid putting its fingerprints all over the place as it makes a bunch of different sounds.

What a great score - fun project!

Mine’s on truck somewhere in America …
Thanks! Hopefully you enjoy yours as well!
Really interesting looking guitar for a Squier. Satin finish with aged hardware?

Highly recommend Gotoh "In Tune" saddles, helps with intonation and keeps strings from sliding around.

For pickups I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio Area T models...it's a little warmer in the bridge and clearer in the neck and completely noiseless. But if you go noiseless, be aware you need to get a non-magnetic bridge (either stainless steel or brass).
Thanks for the tips. This is the kind of stuff I’ll find helpful as I dig into making this one my own.
Looks like a great guitar for the money (and MF seems to have them on sale for $300?): https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...Tn86G1CmGba6SRwnclv6XKSPeU2qfeJsaAmuZEALw_wcB

Yeah, the 1 5/8" nut width is definitely a unique thing. The Squier necks tend toward the skinny side, too, which likely adds to the "this thing feels totally different!" vibe.

An HSS strat is probably still more versatile than a tele, but its also a bit more generic where a tele while still versatile, can't seem to avoid putting its fingerprints all over the place as it makes a bunch of different sounds.
Yes, unfortunately, the fella at GC wouldn’t match the $300 on the Mocha. I could have gotten it on the Red, but I thought the Mocha was the better instrument between the two I had in front of me.

The thinness of the neck isn’t as jarring as the width of the nut and string spacing. My JP6 has a pretty thin neck, but the strings are miles apart (exaggerating a bit, obviously) compared to the Balls.

If I do a Strat partscaster, it will be an HSS. I don’t own a guitar with that config—though I do flirt with the idea of getting an HSS Luke III occasionally… There’s a partscaster local to me that an EMG HSS, it’s cool and very similar to something I’d build myself, but I‘m not sure how confident I feel in buying someone else’s partscaster.

One more thing—the pick guard isn’t beveled at all and that ***** is SHARP. I’ll probably route a bevel on it if/when I switch the pups.

I’m all for power tools…

Power Tools Rambo GIF by Bosch Professional Power Tools and Accessories

But I think a block of wood with a piece of 220 sandpaper on it would work just as well? 😜

One more thing—the pick guard isn’t beveled at all and that ***** is SHARP. I’ll probably route a bevel on it if/when I switch the pups.
They were probably going for that Bakelite look. A beveled one would look nice, but I’m digging the brushed look. PRS does that with their pickup bobbins and backplates.

I’m all for power tools…

Power Tools Rambo GIF by Bosch Professional Power Tools and Accessories

But I think a block of wood with a piece of 220 sandpaper on it would work just as well? 😜
But if I don’t use the tools I already have, my wife will start questioning whether or not I need just one more tool™️.

Plus, it’ll be faster and neater to strip the pickguard and throw it on the router table.

Looks like the pickguard is anodized aluminum. Probably should avoid taking a router to it unless you plan on refinishing it. 😉

Back