NGD: 1997 CU22 (First PRS)

My 2 cents. Paul got the pickups right (mostly) with the Dragons. Overthought it, and has been
chasing his tail ever since.
I’d love to try a set. I’ve got the 57/08’s and sometimes I wish they were just a tad bit hotter. Not 100% in love with the neck pickup either to be honest.

The internet seems to love the Dragon Is, but hate the Dragon IIs. That made me a little apprehensive before picking up my CU22, but I think the Dragon IIs are fucking kick ass. Wouldn't change a thing about them

Fantastic man, great score. Those guitars are amazing and the Dragon pickups are literally some of my favorite pickups of all time.

I’d love to try a set. I’ve got the 57/08’s and sometimes I wish they were just a tad bit hotter. Not 100% in love with the neck pickup either to be honest.

I found the neck 57/08 to be too bassy. though I normally find alnico ii neck humbuckers to be like that. Switching the magnet to an alnico v can help a lot.

I found the neck 57/08 to be too bassy. though I normally find alnico ii neck humbuckers to be like that. Switching the magnet to an alnico v can help a lot.
That’s what I’ve heard. That might be something I’d consider trying.

Thoughts and observations after a few days with the CU22:

- this guitar continues to kick serious ass, love it!

- man, I LOVE me a wraparound bridge (or stoptail in PRS-speak?); just seems to make the strings feel and sound so lively + nice and slinky, and I love the general simplicity of it

- compensated aspect of the bridge is very effective, intonation and tuning is great all up the neck

- on that note, I see why PRSi have such a great reputation for staying in tune, it's amazing

- also dig the Phase I locking tuners + they were pretty simple to figure out for a re-string (I did watch one YT video)

- love the smaller headstock, too

- there is a fairly prominent dead spot at the 14th fret A on the G string: the note just completely cuts off after about 3-4 seconds; I did check for this at the store, as I've had them with other double cuts (SG, 335, 339) but missed this one somehow

- also, the same note over on the B string, 10th fret, while it's not a dead spot, it does that thing where the fundamental disappears kind of quickly and it goes into a ringing, octave-higher note ("wolf tone"?)

- interestingly, there are two videos posted at the PRS forum of other PRS doing the exact same early-feedback, wolf tone thing at the same 10th fret on the B string, as well as other posts describing the same dead spot and wolf tone in the same two spots (PRS do have a rep for consistency...)

- overall it's not a deal breaker as the guitar has so many other strengths, I don't care, and I actually like the early-feedback thing on the B string 10th fret, my R9 has always done it at the 8th fret on the high E string and it's a cool-sounding little quirk

- the Dragon I bridge pickup continues to be a total beast, love it now that I've got the height and pole pieces adjusted nicely; I think the power/punch of this pickup and it's hyped bottom end might be what helps it reach LP-like levels of girth and size to the sound (as well as great high-mid cut)

- the Dragon I neck pickup is awesome too, nice and clear and not woofy at all

- I LOVE the 25" scale, gives it the perfect amount of snap and clarity, but maintains that nice, Gibson-like thickness to the sound

Ok, off to play it some more (and consider grabbing that '07 McCarty, too... :grin )

I think it definitely want's a mccarty friend

I've found that PRS seems to be terribly addictive

I have my heart set on adding an S2 mccarty, CE24, and core Hollowbody II to the family…. eventally.... lol

also, the same note over on the B string, 10th fret, while it's not a dead spot, it does that thing where the fundamental disappears kind of quickly and it goes into a ringing, octave-higher note ("wolf tone"?)
My PRS does the same thing. When I had the HFS installed, it was even more obvious. It’s a quirk that I actually dig for sure.

- also dig the Phase I locking tuners + they were pretty simple to figure out for a re-string (I did watch one YT video)

Lucky you. YT wasn’t around in ‘96 when I got mine so I had to go back to the store TWICE to get them to show me!

But once I got it I was right around 5 mins a string change and tune.

Still playing the CU22 lots and loving it. :love

25” scale is killer for drop-D riffage! Gives it that extra bit of clarity but still sounds nice and thick.

Also, I've overstated the 14th fret, G string thing. I don't think it's a total “dead spot,“ as the note doesn't completely go dead, it just doesn't sustain for as long and loud a volume as most other spots. Seems similar to other double cuts I've played and I'm not too concerned about it.

I had a '98 CU 22 with basically the same specs, just with Trem bridge. I know some people complained about the Dragon pickups but I liked them in that guitar. Wide/Fat was perfectly comfortable to play.

I think it definitely want's a mccarty friend

I've found that PRS seems to be terribly addictive

I have my heart set on adding an S2 mccarty, CE24, and core Hollowbody II to the family…. eventally.... lol

The McCarty I had my eye on sold… I waited too long. I didn't jump because it was pretty similar to this CU22, really. Main differences would've been the solid, heavier body, pickups + 3-way toggle, and vintage style tuners. Still 22 frets and a stoptail + dc. I will keep a lookout for others, though. Also interested in trying a CU24 (though I don't love trems), McCarty Soapbar, and a SC 245.

- there is a fairly prominent dead spot at the 14th fret A on the G string: the note just completely cuts off after about 3-4 seconds; I did check for this at the store, as I've had them with other double cuts (SG, 335, 339) but missed this one somehow

- also, the same note over on the B string, 10th fret, while it's not a dead spot, it does that thing where the fundamental disappears kind of quickly and it goes into a ringing, octave-higher note

If you are comfortable messing with truss rods here is something to try. Often times this will not do a damn thing but once in a while it can help dead spots to varying degrees. Assuming you already got the fretboard pretty flat, loosen the trussrod a 1/4 turn and then let it sit for a bit. Then repeat the process two more times of loosening 1/4 turn and then waiting. Then retighten using the same 1/4 at a time turns. No guarantees but I'll be interested to hear the results if you give it a try.

Just took a couple more pics :love :

IMG_4235.jpeg
IMG_4236.jpeg

Gave this guitar some attention yesterday. :love

It kind of got set aside when I went all-in on a new McCarty 594, shortly after. (It's definitely been The Summer Of PRS here! Went from having never even played one to buying these two and trying several others and just chugging the kool-aid in general. :grin)

Anyway, this is a killer guitar too, and really my “first PRS love.” Also more of a true PRS, rather than a Gibson-ized one like the 594.

Few things I found:

- the “dead spot” mentioned earlier went away when I raised the action and re-adjusted the pickups, yay!

- it also goes nicely with my Fuzz Head now, with the new pickup setup (I'd had the poles raised a fair bit, with the actual pickup sitting lower, but yesterday tried raising it back up and lowering the poles, much better)

- it LOVES Eb standard and drop-D, the Dragon I design seems to favour these lower tunings, sounds huge (25” scale also a factor, adds clarity)

- ^^^ I was getting a super fun and remarkably accurate “Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love” tone using my Whirlwind Orange Box
+ some Echoplex delay from the Stomp, on the Electra Dyne's Red channel; may have to add this to the setlist :rawk

- on that topic, I may keep this as a half-step-down/alternate tuning guitar in general, with the 594 being the main #1 standard-tuning guitar (yes, the 594 might be taking over from my long-beloved R9)

- in comparison to the 594, this CU22 is actually slightly more comfortable to play, the thinner body (by a very small amount) makes it sit just a little nicer, at least sitting down, and the edges seem a little rounder, maybe. It's also a little lighter, weight-wise.

- overall, it's a killer PRS pair for gigs now (594+CU22) :chef and will be replacing my trusted LP + Strat combo (at least for now, see how it goes, haha)

Last edited:
Back