NGD: 1997 CU22 (First PRS)

TubeStack

Shredder
I bought this ‘97 Custom 22 today!

Semi-hollow with no F hole.

It’s my first PRS, and it’s funny because it’s actually the first PRS I’ve ever played. Loved it and bought it almost immediately. :grin

Plays super well, feels and sounds great. Love the stoptail bridge. Also dig the colour and overall look. Some nice subtle flame to the top, under the “root beer” finish. Super light at 7 lbs.

Pickups might be Dragon I or II, apparently this was a transition period. I’ve read mixed reviews, but so far I like them. Much higher output than I’m used to, but I haven’t played with the height or pole pieces, yet. Just gave it a full cleaning and put on some strings and heading off to play it now.

IMG_4183.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

I bought this ‘97 Custom 22 today!

Semi-hollow with no F hole.

It’s my first PRS, and it’s funny because it’s actually the first PRS I’ve ever played. Loved it and bought it almost immediately. :grin

Plays super well, feels and sounds great. Love the stoptail bridge. Also dig the colour and overall look. Some nice subtle flame to the top, under the “root beer” finish. Super light at 7 lbs.

Pickups might be Dragon I or II, apparently this was a transition period. I’ve read mixed reviews, but so far I like them. Much higher output than I’m used to, but I haven’t played with the height or pole pieces, yet. Just gave it a full cleaning and put on some strings and heading off to play it now.

View attachment 8733

View attachment 8734
I had a mid-90s CE in similar color that was pretty awesome -- something about that color keeps the flame subtle enough that you still see the annual ring grain a lot, which is the way I prefer my maple tops. I've been having PRS GAS lately, too.

From what I'm reading, these seem like Dragon I's. The bridge is a beast: super hot and aggressive, just huge sounding, with a lot of bottom end and high mid cut. Goes nicely with my dark-ish Electra Dyne. :chef

A little recessed in the mids, especially compared to the BK Black Dogs in my R9. (And apparently the semi-hollow, no-F-hole factor also scoops things a bit?)

^^^ Maybe that would say “Dragon II” if they were IIs? Did they differentiate them like that, once the IIs were out?

Dragon I are crazy hot as I recall. Dragon II are also hot, but I think the Is are super punishing. The original dragons sell for quite a lot used IIRC.

That’s a sweet guitar. I didn’t know there was a custom 22 semi hollow that didn’t have an f hole. Now I want one…

D

Congrats, very beautiful! May you love it long time! Would love to try dragons, of either flavor, as I generally don't jive with the 85/15 in my CU24.

Thanks everyone! Had a great time playing it into the wee hours last night. Very vibrant and “alive” feeling guitar.

The 5-position selector knob takes some getting used to. It's not super quick to go from bridge to neck or vice versa, which I do a lot, so I can't say I love that, although it's not a huge deal. I do like the look of the three knobs vs one being a 3-way toggle, though.

Also don't know how much use I have for the in-between sounds, which are all variations of both pickups together with coils split, I think? Kind of odd you can't just have one or the other with the coil split. I don't mind the 2nd position after bridge-only, could be a faux Strat quack in a time of need, but the others aren't really grabbing me, yet. Would also have more use for them if there was volume knob for each pickup.

I realize the above issues are solved with a DGT, however I tried a brand new one they had and still much preferred this CU22 by a wide margin. I actually went there prepared to buy either the new DGT or this one, and while the DGT was cool, I genuinely liked this guitar way more. I found the DGT neck too narrow and am generally not a trem guy. I really love the stoptail bridge on the CU22 in a huge way. (It's also hilarious that the DGT would have been $3200 more, price-wise. New PRS prices are insane.)

The 5-position selector knob takes some getting used to. It's not super quick to go from bridge to neck or vice versa, which I do a lot, so I can't say I love that, although it's not a huge deal. I do like the look of the three knobs vs one being a 3-way toggle, though.

Stunner!

I changed the plastic knob on my 5 way rotary to a knurled metal one and it made it so much easier to use. The plastic ones get way too slippery.
Good thing that's not my guitar. I'd take that selector knob out and put a 3 way switch, then drill a few holes for mini switches.:rofl

Back