NGD: 1997 CU22 (First PRS)

5 Way Rotary Pickup Selector. Seemed like a good idea. :idk

I have one in my '95 Std 22... and the Dragon Pups. Plays and sounds great.
Being 6' 3" the PRS looks a little awkward on me. Paul must be a small guy. :popcorn

I replaced the 5-way rotary switch on my CE-24 with a 3-way and push/pull tone pot and never looked back as those in-between tones from an HH are not for me.

The only caveat is that you have to ream out the existing hole to fit the nut for the three-way toggle.

I replaced my 5 way rotary for a 3 way toggle and push/push pot. I've switched it back twice because I like the in between sounds but find pickup changes much quicker with the toggle.

Yeah, I've kinda been jonesing for an early-ish McCarty. They go for reasonable money.

There is a McCarty around here that’s a good price. I’m digging this 22 so much, it has crossed my mind to grab that too, but I think I’ll hold off.

It would literally be two PRSi for less than the price of the one new DGT.

90's era PRS guitars will one day be viewed similarly to 50's and 60's era Gibsons and Fenders?

Yes or no? :idk

I don’t think so. They don’t have the mystique of having been played by Page, Clapton, etc, in the “golden era of rock,” or the historical significance of being part of the birth of rock and roll.

And even that ^^^ will have less value for G&F, as time goes on, in my opinion.

I don’t really want to do that… but we’ll see.
It’s not a whole lot of reaming. Just enough to fit the nut. I should also clarify that this is if you use a “deep” nut which looks a lot cleaner IMO:

IMG_1356.jpeg

Swapping out the rotary for a three way only requires a slightly larger diameter hole. You don’t need to use the deep nut unless you make the hole even larger.
I put a three way and CTS push pull in PRS quite often and it’s neater but not the same tones.
IMG_3008.jpeg

I did a three way conversion and put some Throbak 101s in my Custom 22 , it’s a lot better now. I don’t like older PRS pickups .

My 2 cents. Paul got the pickups right (mostly) with the Dragons. Overthought it, and has been
chasing his tail ever since.
Paul's a bit of a kook, but aren't most of us? I actually kind of pissed him off in person when he signed my CU24. I liked the pu's then, but since playing so much stuff since, hate them now. I just said to him "I don't let anyone touch this guitar, but I guess I'll make an exception with you". You could just see him change colors and everything, was hilarious.

Back