NGD: 1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom

Stop proving I was indeed correct in my assertion! :hmm
alanis morrisette GIF

lol, you should know by now @la szum that I'm pretty much one of the easiest going fellows around here (and in everyday life). :beer

I'm relieved I like the pickups so much, as I have a tendency to immediately want to swap in BKs, especially the Black Dogs I'm addicted to. But these T-tops are killer, no need at all.

I'm relieved I like the pickups so much, as I have a tendency to immediately want to swap in BKs, especially the Black Dogs I'm addicted to. But these T-tops are killer, no need at all.
I'm the same way. Stock pickups don't have a chance with me. :rofl

I don’t often feel jealous when I see NGDs, but wow…

That is awesome, and great to hear it’s such a good one too!

I love the witch hats on LP customs

Thanks! Yeah, it's just one of those guitars that feels alive and regularly makes you go "holy shit"...

I didn't love the knobs at first, but didn't take long to get used to them and now they add to the vibe, for me.

Fuuuuuucking a right, man!!!!!

Enjoy that bastard all over the place!!!!

Thanks, and I will! :pickle
It is such a badass guitar for 70s hard rock, just kills. :headbang

I don't LP. But this mufukka is :love

Thanks, JT! I'm definitely an LP guy, and this is the first one I've played that is as good as - and maybe better than - my R9 that's been my #1 for almost 10 years now. It's kind of nice to have two now, and not have everything be riding/depending on the one LP. :grin

How do they compare in other areas?

So far, I'd say, for the Custom:

- neck is definitely slimmer, more like a "30/60 slim" profile, I think they call it? Reminds me of a 339 I had, or an LP Classic (though I haven't played a lot of those), feels fast and a bit better for legato runs, etc; (I can see how Rhoads maybe found it easier to shred on it vs a 59 neck?)

- it's a pound heavier but doesn't feel super heavy, but probably more bottom-heavy, due to thinner neck

- has a noticeably crisper attack and a bit more high end overall (some of that could be because the pickups are set closer to strings, but you can hear and feel it acoustically, too)

- it's bit louder acoustically, as well

- Custom has a very slinky, easy feel, I actually thought it had 9s on it when I first picked it up, don't know why that is

- it has modern wiring, vs the 50s wiring on the R9; I usually much prefer the latter but so far it's not bugging me on the Custom and I'll stick with it for now

Oh fuck yes!!!

Congrats!!! That thing looks like an absolute beast

Thanks, man! Yes, it is 100% beast, haha. It has such a great sound for hard rock, especially on open-position, AC/DC-type chords, also more cutting on leads. Hard to describe, but the R9 is just fatter and squishier (in a good way), while this LP has more bite and immediacy. Almost like a little SG mixed in, but still with the thickness of an LP. And again, the pickups are absolutely delicious, really alive-feeling and open. :chef

:love:love
Love the Custom headstock. :chef

Yes, me too. Aways makes me think of Randy. :beer

Back