Replacing RMC Piezo Saddles

LScottK

Groupie
I have a 2010 Godin LGXT that I use for Roland 13pin synth stuff. I've been focused on a Knaggs that I recently added to my hoarde, so I haven't used this guitar for about a month. I picked it up yesterday and found that there is a severe volume drop on the B string. I just contacted Sound Island Music and found out that a set of 6 piezo saddles costs $299. After perusing the interwebs I have seen several posts from folks who have removed the saddles and cleaned them with isopropyl alcohol (one post suggesting using a 50/50 mix of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide). I contacted Godin and a support tech from Godin suggested cleaning them as well, rather than just replacing the offending saddle.

I'm going to try to clean the saddles myself and see if I can save myself $299. Has anyone here cleaned RMC piezo pickups? If yes, do you have any pointers or are you aware of any "gotchas" that you would be willing to share? I'm going to give YouTube a search this evening to see if there's anything there.

Thanks,
Scott

I also had a Godin LGXT with RCM piezo saddles. After a gig I would often notice reduced volume on the E and A strings; this was due to sweat getting on the saddles, especially during the summer. Cleaning the saddles restored the initial volume every time. I tried with isopropyl alcohol, but found that using canned air got the job done even more easily. This was not my case, but I read that the saddles may naturally lose volume with time, and in this case replacing them would be the only option but, as you said, they are not sold individually. I eventually decided to sell the guitar as I did not want to have to deal with this down the road. But in your case, it may as well just be that they are dirty and it makes a lot of sense to try to clean them.

No experience with RMC saddles or if these are compatible, but the Graphtech Ghost saddles I've used for years on 2 different gigging guitars have been absolutely bullet proof. They sound just as good (or bad :) ) today as they did in 2008. Hopefully just keeping the current saddles clean will be all you need to do.

I had LR Baggs saddles before I went to the ghosts. They corroded, and became unusable. The Graphtechs laugh at sweat and grime. :)

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciate all your insights.

@vino_buono - did you clean the saddles while they were still installed in the bridge? I didn't have time last night to do more research, or check VGuitar forum. The one article that I have already come across said that it was best to remove the saddles when cleaning them. I don't mind removing them if that will get best results, but I've never worked on this sort of saddle before, and I'd rather not spend the time removing them unless I have to. I guess that I can just try the canned air, but I'm wondering how you got best results. Thanks again!

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciate all your insights.

@vino_buono - did you clean the saddles while they were still installed in the bridge? I didn't have time last night to do more research, or check VGuitar forum. The one article that I have already come across said that it was best to remove the saddles when cleaning them. I don't mind removing them if that will get best results, but I've never worked on this sort of saddle before, and I'd rather not spend the time removing them unless I have to. I guess that I can just try the canned air, but I'm wondering how you got best results. Thanks again!

Yes, I did not unistall the saddles (I don't feel confident doing it). I paid particular attention to clean the points where the saddle meets the bridge, that's where the dirt tends to go and it's harder to remove.

Yeah, I'm not feeling very confident about removing the saddles either. I am comfortable with most pickup wiring, but that seems more forgiving and less delicate than a piezo saddle.

My Godin is in need of a good cleaning. I'll take the strings off this weekend, clean the fret board and the saddles, and put on new strings. Hopefully that will bring the piezo pickups back to life.

My Godin is in need of a good cleaning. I'll take the strings off this weekend, clean the fret board and the saddles, and put on new strings. Hopefully that will bring the piezo pickups back to life.

If it does, you may be interested to know that the saddles can be permanently protected from dirt, using silicon IIRC. I got this info from the owner of RMC when I contacted support over a different issue (whether lubricants such as Big Bends might damage the piezo saddles). If interested send me a pm and I’ll forward the info.

If it does, you may be interested to know that the saddles can be permanently protected from dirt, using silicon IIRC. I got this info from the owner of RMC when I contacted support over a different issue (whether lubricants such as Big Bends might damage the piezo saddles). If interested send me a pm and I’ll forward the info.
PM sent

Back