New rig day

AFKAEjay

Roadie
Just to share “a way” to do it. No new gear…just putting what I own together differently..
Not sure if this belongs here…or in the amp section…or in the racksection

Coming from a medium sized board loaded with 2 preamps I love, 2 great compressor/eq/boost pedals, a Gt core, es5 to control stuff, 100w as poweramp stuck underneath. Love that board…so I am doing compromises. Thing is…most of my gigs are at a venue where I use a cab and a combo..I used to take the board, and the laney studio as a poweamp(don’t like ss power), I’d like to have to take only 1 unit. The stage is small..so the board takes up valuable space.
I don’t like playing multiple rigs, rather have one I know well…so I’m aiming to make this my main rig.
If 15w is not enough (twice a year atm)…I’ll skip the laney powersection (doesn’t need load)…and plug this into returns if combos.

CC22B07C-F676-410E-924B-DB3A6720E644.jpeg

Basically it’s a 4cm setup, pedals on a drawer…in a rack. The orange unit is a loop switcher/relay switcher, which also send power to the midicontroller via 7 pin din.
I think I get a lot out of the laney using multiple cleanboosts/cuts in the GT, so maybe worth sharing how that works together with the controler:

Knob 1: selects GT preset
Knob 1 2nd push: adds a 6db boost post gain as a solo boost
Knob 2…does nothing yet
Knob 3: has the switcher select the clean channel on the Laney, adds a 6db pre gain boost, and a -10db cut to mitigate the volume increase. Reason for this is: the clean channel needs to be hot hard to come to life…this way I can use it close to breakup.
knob3 2nd push: adds A compressor.
Knob4: selects cleanchannel, puts the overdrive pedal in the chain, and adds a -10db cut. Allows me to hit the laney preamp hard with the overdrive pedal
Knob4 2nd push: adds a 6 db pre pedal boost, increases the gain from the pedal.
Knob5: Switches the Laney to thé Leadchannel
knob5 2nd push: switches to laneys pre gain boost on to get more gain.
knob 6: tuner

I will add 2 expressionpedals to control wah/volume/wet&dry level.
I hope I can find a way to control the Halo (no midi ;()….

So far it actually sounds great

Leaving for its maiden gig in 30 minutes ;)…jazz gig..so easy on the switching/overdrive sounds

Succesfull first gig. Got my sound, weight doable, transportable by bicycle. It was an “all clean jazz trio” so I didn’t get playdrive sounds, pushed a few during soundcheck though…was promising.

Once again confirmed that having something in the loop that has a global eq is worth gold…

If i continue with this setup, I’ll probably add a mooer radar..or something of the sort…for easy foh feed.
Maybe I’ll add an analog compressor/eq and my revivaldrive, which I both love,….there’s still room on the drawer ;)

How was getting the relay switcher to play nice with the IRT? I know it had a proprietary controller.

How was getting the relay switcher to play nice with the IRT? I know it had a proprietary controller.
It’s a 5 pin din connection.
chop up a midicable, trial and error shortcutting each vain to find out what does what..chop up a patchcable and solder each end to the midi cable. Then isolation tape to taste…tierip as a failsafe.

not pretty…but effective

@AFKAEjay I'm curious how you took this on a bike, looking at your picture this looks roughly the size of an amp head. I wouldn't fancy trying to bike with an amp head strapped to me/the bike 😂

@AFKAEjay I'm curious how you took this on a bike, looking at your picture this looks roughly the size of an amp head. I wouldn't fancy trying to bike with an amp head strapped to me/the bike 😂
I actually have a picture…but it’s to big to upload here.

A bike simular to this…actually no big deal putting an amp on the rack.

I'm envisioning a picnic basket with a 12 space rack rig on top :rofl
Funny cause it’s true:I actually have a picnic basket on that rack where the gear/amp goes.

@AFKAEjay I didn't consider the trusty old bike rack. I think I'm starting to recognise your genius 😄
finally recognition! I was hoping for a seat in the Rockgod department…but I’ll take the “amptransport divsion”.
I assume right passed the big halls…keep rockstars at your left hand, teen stars at the right…and look for a small dusty closet at the very end of the hall… inhibited by a toothless dude in a wheelchair with a suspicious odor around him?

Back