New NeuralDSP plugin teaser [Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ suite]

Very likely. They're easy to deal with, sounding good to great, and with the new engine, they're considerably more CPU friendly, too.
I know plenty of folks with pretty much the entire package.

Well, they're putting a new one out, so there's your answer :D Make no mistake, NDSP plugins are very popular.

There is nothing "special" about NDSP Plugins beyond the "ultra-hype-name" marketing and "pretty interface" .... I'll let these 2 Video's speak for themselves:-

Ben

There is nothing "special" about NDSP Plugins beyond the "ultra-hype-name" marketing and "pretty interface" .... I'll let these 2 Video's speak for themselves.

Yeah, there're plenty great plugins out there, but the point still stands. NDSP's offerings are (IMHO) extremely overpriced and somewhat limited in options, but they DO sound good enough to put on records.

Now, is there a market out there for yet another Mesa Boogie plugin at $100-$150? We shall soon find out.

There is nothing "special" about NDSP Plugins beyond the "ultra-hype-name" marketing and "pretty interface" .... I'll let these 2 Video's speak for themselves:-
I think they have one key advantage over a lot of competition. They have very, very good presets.

Yes, you could take the time to use e.g Helix Native to get the same sound, or you could fire up the NeuralDSP plugin and just pick a preset and be like 95% there.

I haven't bought a single NeuralDSP plugin even on sale because I have other plugins and hardware modelers that can do that stuff, but I can see the appeal.

Do the people who own QCs get excited or frustrated when they release another plug in but they are still lagging on the initial promises from the QC?

I'm not a plug in guy at all so I'm completely indifferent. Just wondering how people who support the brand feel about this. I guess if you love your QC it doesn't really matter but I kinda think I'd be a little miffed. If someone promises you something and they are out there doing other things before making good on their initial promise you would have to be a little salty. Maybe not, i dunno.

Do the people who own QCs get excited or frustrated when they release another plug in but they are still lagging on the initial promises from the QC?

I never cared much about plugins when i had mine, but i know two different people who sold their QCs after years of waiting for plugins to be ported. One of them bough on launch day exclusively to use his Omega Granophyre plugin live.

giphy.gif

The NDSP plugins are good products - you can get similar tones with other stuff but Neural’s plugins are quick to navigate/use, decent UI’s, offer standalone, quick MIDI control, sound great.

I get why people don’t like the company but I can’t really understand if someone doesn’t think the plugins are good. The prices aren’t cheap if you compare what you get vs all-in-one options like Helix or AT5, but I still think they’re very fair for what you get and would be reasonable from any company.

I think their cab sim sounds a bit shit to be honest, especially when you start mixing different mics together. Phasey nonsense that quite often does not sound like what the real thing sounds like.

But the IR loader is good, so I always just used that whenever I used their plugins. I'm trying to ween myself away now though to be honest. I don't want to support the company at all.

My new solo stuff is all Helix Native, and tbh.... quite happy with it!

I know there’s a couple that get the demo and just capture the amp tones from them.

Now that ToneX is out in droves, I wonder if NDSP will keeping the same 2-week trial for their plug-ins. You’re going to see ToneX light up with profiles from these things. :rofl

I think they have one key advantage over a lot of competition. They have very, very good presets.

This. And proper IRs to go along, so dialing in your own sounds is pretty easy, too.
Noticed the same when I checked S-Gear, pretty much instant gratification and some default settings, patches and IRs allowing you to also roll your own quite quickly.
Sure, once you're over that and defined your own model defaults in, say, any HX family member and saved some starter presets, you're all set as well, but that does take a while.

I have the Petrucci plugin and I like it very much. I've gotten to the point where I don't necessarily "prefer" it to the Axe III, or vice versa. To me it's a different way to get the tones I like.

Things I dig about it:
  • Much better metronome with the ability to have different sounds triggered on whatever beats of the measure you desire. Many time signatures, and the beats are divisible. I absolutely LOVE those features, but I didn't even realize the metronome is only in the stand-alone version, so I guess that was just lucky.
  • Doubler effect is very nice. Not saying you can't get the same effect in the Axe.
  • Presets run the gamut, and they barely need tweaking. There's a lot more than just the JP-type sounds. The crystals are sublime!
  • The effects parameters are simple to use, and laid out like on real units. I really like that!
  • Petrucci used the same 2 Majesties I have for his demo. In fact, he borrowed them from me. :rimshot
I bought it on sale during their holiday sale, which is really what pushed me over. But with the way I currently use my gear, which is just bedroom player, practicing sh!t, trying to better myself, and having fun just digging into covers, 3/4 of which are JP's songs, either DT, LTE, or his solo stuff..., I could do all that with just this plugin. When I do, the III is a pretty damn expensive interface!

I've got half a dozen Neural plugins and like them quite a bit. Would definitely like a unifying plugin so I can mix and match (I want that Petrucci detune chorus after the Plini clean). But they are quality.

On my recordings this year, I can typically drop a Neural plugin into the track and have a really good tone in seconds. Helix Native can sound quite good as well but take a lot more tweaking to get there, and aftermarket IR's help quite a bit there too.

I've got zero interest in the Mesa Boogie stuff, but would definitely check out more vintage style plugins like a good Matchless or a Plexi. I have cleans and high gains well covered and the Tone King for tweedy Fender stuff. Also wouldn't mind expanded pedals from them, and curious to try their Darkglass plugin because I truly suck at dialing in bass tones.

Ben

That and 1) the fact that they modeled a lot of stuff that had never been modeled in VST plugins to that point (e.g. Fortin Cali, Nameless, Satan, Omega Granophyre) and 2) Had some fairly well-respected and "big" (for the modern metal community anyway) names like Nolly cosign and do extensive presets and captures of their own cabs/modded amps.

So, turning unobtanium into obtanium, basically.

Hell, I liked the sound of the Nolly and Cali plugins, but absolutely believed I'd be able to use both on my QC at least within 6 months of launch. This impression was only hardened by Doug's nonchalant "Oh, we basically already have the algorithms on there...just gotta map presets" BS. I sold both happily just before selling my QC.

Back