" New IR Tech that sounds like an Amp " ...... what's the thinking on this ?

Here you go. No talking, no BS demo of the Tone Factor IR's vs the competition.

Great work, thank you!

Yeah, once everything is normalized, those "XR" IR's don't really sound that special to my ears. The frequency response is very scooped, almost like there's a V-shaped filter over the whole thing.

It's pretty remarkable how well the new Helix cabs fared here, too. I think i liked them the most.

Last edited:
Great work, thank you!

Yeah, once everything is normalized, those "XR" IR's don't really sound that great to my ears. The frequency response is very scooped, almost like there's a V-shaped filter over the whole thing.

It's pretty remarkable how well the new Helix cabs fared in this comparison, too. I think i liked them the most.

On their own in my Axe FX 3 the XR IR's were pretty good. That may be the Fractal being kind of bright sounding. The Tone Factor IR's sound darker to me in general.

It's not really apples to apples though as it's a 2x12 AC30 cab vs a bunch of Marshall 4x12's. I think a Marshall cab would have more bass, tighter bass, and probably more presence up top as well.

What really surprised me is how much I like the old Ownhammer GNR cab. It's always been my favorite. To me that sounds balanced, even if it can be a bit bright.

Ah, but did you remember to “push” these IRs? That’s when the ToneFactor folks say their IRs start to shine but others fall apart. :facepalm :LOL:
salt n pepa dancing GIF

I’d love to see all new IR makers survive the gauntlet with Jay. My man should do “reaction” videos to these, brutally destroying the hype speak and pointing out where they are grossly inaccurate. Jay setup a Patreon account and I’ll be the first subscriber. :ROFLMAO:

That's a fool's errand that will only be attempted by people who are missing essential knowledge. By itself, the impedance vs. frequency of the cab is not enough information, and - much more importantly - that information cannot be "baked into" an IR.
Go watch their whole video, Jay. You’ll love it. Leave them a comment or two too, please.

BRB, making popcorn.

I don't know about the "good" part....a few hours after this one I was doing a repair bench video, spilled rubbing alcohol on the desk which dripped onto the computer, shorting out the video card and abruptly ending the next live stream....EPIC fail'

Here you go. No talking, no BS demo of the Tone Factor IR's vs the competition.

Hmmmm ... I'll go out on a limb here .... and at the risk of being considered an uninformed heretic :) .....

Firstly ... fantastic comparative demo !

Secondly ... how f&cking good do those new Helix Cabs sound and respond to movement [and doubtlessly the Fractals are just as good]

Thirdly ... I will say that the TF IR's seem clearly pre-eq'd at the low and high end ... so my sense is they could be dropped in with no Lo/Hi cuts for live use ..... I could see these being very good for people that don't want to futz around with dialing in their IR's and just dialing in their sound via their Amp Controls.

They are of no interest to me as I've gone back to a Kemper Stage using just "Studio" LP's [ full Amp + Cab LP Profiles] ....... so no more need for IR "hunting" ... which is actually very liberating :)

But with say an Iridium or Walrus ACS1 or NUX A.A or similar ... I could see these being extremely popular and very, very useful.

Ben

Hmmmm ... I'll go out on a limb here .... and at the risk of being considered an uninformed heretic :) .....

Firstly ... fantastic comparative demo !

Secondly ... how f&cking good do those new Helix Cabs sound and respond to movement [and doubtlessly the Fractals are just as good]

Thirdly ... I will say that the TF IR's seem clearly pre-eq'd at the low and high end ... so my sense is they could be dropped in with no Lo/Hi cuts for live use ..... I could see these being very good for people that don't want to futz around with dialing in their IR's and just dialing in their sound via their Amp Controls.

They are of no interest to me as I've gone back to a Kemper Stage using just "Studio" LP's [ full Amp + Cab LP Profiles] ....... so no more need for IR "hunting" ... which is actually very liberating :)

But with say an Iridium or Walrus ACS1 or NUX A.A or similar ... I could see these being extremely popular and very, very useful.

Ben

I'm on board with pre-EQ'd IR's. And I could see that being the argument for "realistic"...knowing that the playback systems may be hyped in XXX way so we are going to apply the EQ in advance to help them cut, or whatever.

I do think there's a nice midrange to these IR's. That's not nothing.

If anything it made me really appreciate those old Ownhammer GNR IR's. Honestly I could (and probably should) have stopped after getting the GNR pack. Everything after that was just a side step at best. Been playing with the single 57 impulse all day, no cuts. Really good tone.

@BenIfin which profiles are you using with the Kemper? I'm about ready to sell my third one because of the usual "not liking the cabs" bit :D

I'm on board with pre-EQ'd IR's. And I could see that being the argument for "realistic"...knowing that the playback systems may be hyped in XXX way so we are going to apply the EQ in advance to help them cut, or whatever.

I do think there's a nice midrange to these IR's. That's not nothing.

If anything it made me really appreciate those old Ownhammer GNR IR's. Honestly I could (and probably should) have stopped after getting the GNR pack. Everything after that was just a side step at best. Been playing with the single 57 impulse all day, no cuts. Really good tone.

@BenIfin which profiles are you using with the Kemper? I'm about ready to sell my third one because of the usual "not liking the cabs" bit :D
Hey !

On my Stage .... everything has ben deleted and the only profiles on it are the 3 x Official Liquid Profiling Packs from when OS10 Beta was released.

You can get these 3 x Packs from the KPA Website.

I'm using 2 x Marshall MBritt Amps .... 1 x Rigbusters AC15 and 1 x Fender Deluxe from Guido.

I use the same cab across all the Studio LP's and it sounds awesome.

Its the Cab that Mbrit uses in his LP's ... its his "legendary" 3P 2x12 CL80 Celestion mic'ed with 2 mics.

And the best part is that as they are all Studio Profiles ..... you can swap the "Cabs" around perfectly between the Profiles as the "split point" between the Amp and Cab is identical across all Studio Profiles ... whereas if you use a Studio Profile and replace it with a 3rd Party IR ... it sounds really not quite right" as the "Amp Section" still contains a good degree of "embedded left-over Cab signal" from its original Studio Cab ........ Direct / Amp-only Profiles + 3rd Party IRs work perfectly normally / correctly / dont have this problem though.

I only play clean / edge of breakup clean / crunch / rock / a bit harder ACDC-vibe rock ..... nothing heavier ..... hope this helps :)

Ben

Last edited:
That's a fool's errand that will only be attempted by people who are missing essential knowledge. By itself, the impedance vs. frequency of the cab is not enough information, and - much more importantly - that information cannot be "baked into" an IR.
I'd say it works decently enough even if it's just EQ. I don't use it personally.

Back