" New IR Tech that sounds like an Amp " ...... what's the thinking on this ?

has anyone consulted with this guy on this ?

View attachment 11022
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

I'm setting up a video comparison.

I've got the Tone Factor vs Helix stock cab vs Ownhammer vs York Audio. Am I missing any other big IR players?

Skipped ahead to the XR IR Pack Rundown. I'm not surprised that they used their "enhanced" IRs in their "VS" sections with other modelers. I've done my fair share of "enhancing" my own IRs and I'm getting the feeling that this is really what they're trying to push. I'm sure those "harmonic elements" are just the EQ and phase shifts caused by whatever "enhancing" they're doing.
You know what’s a neat trick? Using an EQ VST that allows you to steal/save EQ curves and applying EQ curves from your favorite guitar sounds to IRs you already own.

If you have an EQ VST that does this, and you have any recordings of any bands you like, you have unlimited potential with any IRs you own or create.

Just FYI :)

The most direct way to 'influence' people is voicing an 'opinion'.
Even things like approval faces and gestures are a direct influence.

It can be almost comical when you are aware of this.

I learned how to manipulate this early on in high school… I noticed one day while taking an exam, how the class were all twitching in different rhythms.

Some people drum their fingers on the desk, others tap their toes or wiggle their foot, bounce their legs up and down etc.

So I conducted a quick experiment. I started tapping my pencil on the desk to create a tempo.

Within 10 seconds, everybody was at the same rhythm subconsciously.

I’ve learned that one of the things that kept me employed (mostly) was my ability to read other people. I’m about 80% accurate in knowing what peoples moods are in a room. I can often understand and rationalize their motives without them ever opening their pie hole.

What’s the saying?

In speaking, your nonverbal communication is 75 or 80% of the message, with 15% being tone and the other 5% actually being the words.

Powerful stuff when you understand the animal.

Certain things are hardwired at very low levels … Even behaviors like fairness in play.

Last edited:
You know what’s a neat trick? Using an EQ VST that allows you to steal/save EQ curves and applying EQ curves from your favorite guitar sounds to IRs you already own.

If you have an EQ VST that does this, and you have any recordings of any bands you like, you have unlimited potential with any IRs you own or create.

Just FYI :)
This is exactly what got me into IR creation in the first place, me and my son dicking around to see how easily we could get different album tones with various Helix amp models and running instances of Fabfilter Pro Q3. We did Metallica's Black Album, Pantera's Walk, EVH's Eruption, NDSP Gojira suite. I started geitting requests for Ian Thornley's Hedgehog amp demos, Joan Jett, SRV..

Once you have the distortion characteristics down the EQ curve part is as simple as button pushes.

Then James with his Zero Character (whatever the real name was escapes me) IRs made strictly from EQ got me into doing the same, and now I rely on a painstaking A/B process of singling out specific frequency bands to measure decibel levels to make very, very close "in-the-room" IRs of cabs from my listening position (still using Pro Q3)

I learned how to manipulate this early on in high school… I noticed one day while taking an exam, how the class were all twitching in different rhythms.

Some people drum their fingers on the desk, others tap their toes or wiggle their foot, bounce their legs up and down etc.

So I conducted a quick experiment. I started tapping my pencil on the desk to create a tempo.

Within 10 seconds, everybody was at the same rhythm subconsciously.

I’ve learned that one of the things that kept me employed (mostly) was my ability to read other people. I’m about 80% accurate in knowing what peoples moods are in a room. I can often understand and rationalize their motives without them ever opening their pie hole.

What’s the saying?

In speaking, your nonverbal communication is 75 or 80% of the message, with 15% being tone and the other 5% actually being the words.

Powerful stuff when you understand the animal.

Certain things are hardwired at very low levels … Even behaviors like fairness in play.
I understood this behavior around middle school, 7th grade maybe. Went to go stay with my cousins who are of the more religious side of the family and were easily manipulated to think one way or another.

I took my newly learned skills back to school and started my own gang of hooligans and misfits. Not the greatest move in retrospect but when in Rome..

Back