New Friedman IR-X preamp

The Friedman definitely has more bells and whistles.

But idk, I feel like the tones are for different people. Friedman is definitely a more modern take on the Marshall tone. The Lion is more your classic Super Lead.
Agreed, not very comparable..

The Friedman definitely has more bells and whistles.

But idk, I feel like the tones are for different people. Friedman is definitely a more modern take on the Marshall tone. The Lion is more your classic Super Lead.
Whats interesting here is that both pedals come from people with amazing knowledge about Marshalls. David Friedman and James Santiago.

The IR-X, in some demos, delivers the vintage Marshall tones no problem.

Pedal def has the juice. Played it tonight for a good while. Throws down pretty hard with a simple pedal board. I just keep mine wired with a Bonsai and Dispatch Master. Probably inevitable Ill throw a Deco down with it and call it day.
Worth the $500???

Worth the $500???

I paid $600 to get the Marshall knobs and Dave’s signature on it. :ROFLMAO:

We have a lot of similar gear, so I’d say you know what you’d get with it. It’s basically like running a Synergy preamp into a QC poweramp capture. It’s not a miraculous piece of gear or anything, but it’s well made and sounds good. I hopped on the QC after playing with the IRX and I could definitely feel just a touch of the digital sheen going back to the QC. I think an analog front end gives you a hair of extra cut and clarity. Probably wouldn’t amount to as much recorded, but I do think there is a feel aspect. I also like that it takes pedals as you’d expect with an amp. A lot of hybrid gear doesn’t always integrate well with pedals. This takes OD’s and fuzz as you’d expect with a tube amp.

We have a lot of similar gear, so I’d say you know what you’d get with it. It’s basically like running a Synergy preamp into a QC poweramp capture. It’s not a miraculous piece of gear or anything, but it’s well made and sounds good. I hopped on the QC after playing with the IRX and I could definitely feel just a touch of the digital sheen going back to the QC. I think an analog front end gives you a hair of extra cut and clarity. Probably wouldn’t amount to as much recorded, but I do think there is a feel aspect. I also like that it takes pedals as you’d expect with an amp. A lot of hybrid gear doesn’t always integrate well with pedals. This takes OD’s and fuzz as you’d expect with a tube amp.
Awesome! Yeah I'm really trying to decide between this, the synergy Plexi model, or nothing 😂

Awesome! Yeah I'm really trying to decide between this, the synergy Plexi model, or nothing 😂

That’s a tossup honestly. I got mine because I’m an aspiring degenerate like having a little pedal board rig to play with occasionally, without firing up modelers and editors or the big boy amp. Just something simple to screw around with from time to time. Of course, you could always integrate the IRX into your Synergy rig. lol

There is no bad option here. :D

I've been lamenting the fact that the IR-X is basically unobtanium here in the UK, but thanks to this I found that I could order one of these limited editions direct from Friedman on Reverb!

So I did... Probably pissed off the 284 watchers, because there's now only one left...

You snooze, you lose! ;)

The more I hear and watch about this unit, the more interesting it gets. After about 2 years of using my board in its current incarnation, I'm pretty sure what I want/need for a finalized version and the IR-X could possibly be a part of that, the only issue being the MIDI aspect. Right now I don't need any MIDI at all, for the IR-X I possibly would, which would mean I'd need a loopswitcher with MIDI I/O, unfortunately ruling out the main contender I had in mind to replace my current Mooer L6. Hmm...

The more I hear and watch about this unit, the more interesting it gets. After about 2 years of using my board in its current incarnation, I'm pretty sure what I want/need for a finalized version and the IR-X could possibly be a part of that, the only issue being the MIDI aspect. Right now I don't need any MIDI at all, for the IR-X I possibly would, which would mean I'd need a loopswitcher with MIDI I/O, unfortunately ruling out the main contender I had in mind to replace my current Mooer L6. Hmm...

Look at it as a 2 channel amp or a pedal platform channel with a Lead channel. You don't need MIDI unless you want to unleash its full potential.

IMO adding MIDI to a board for just 1 pedal its not worth it. Now if you have multiple pedals that would take advantage of a MIDI switcher than yes its a most have.

I have the IRX with the HX effects which can do the switching plus of course effects. Super useful there. Would work well as a standalone two channel amp too. I think if you had the right boost and the right impulse you can get it into Plexi territory but stock it doesn’t have the same snarling pissed off sound.

Back