New Friedman IR-X preamp

JHS Bonsai (JHS mode) with the gain up into the IR-X clean channel sounds killer. Most of the gain is coming from the JHS Bonsai and the EXG+SPC are pushing it just a bit. Stacking JHS Packrats into the IR-X clean channel also sounds killer.

Admittedly, I haven't done my own research yet (I probably will do a deep dive into videos on this tomorrow!) and so I could probably find this out for myself... but since we have some experts here...

...does either channel of this do the Marshall "kerrang" thing well? Would it make sense to potentially get this to fill the gaps that a particular modeler currently has with those sorts of Marshall-y sounds, or is this really going for more of a modern thing only?

Not sure it would be worth the price for me vs just keeping my RevivalDrive, but this seems super cool.

Admittedly, I haven't done my own research yet (I probably will do a deep dive into videos on this tomorrow!) and so I could probably find this out for myself... but since we have some experts here...

...does either channel of this do the Marshall "kerrang" thing well? Would it make sense to potentially get this to fill the gaps that a particular modeler currently has with those sorts of Marshall-y sounds, or is this really going for more of a modern thing only?

Not sure it would be worth the price for me vs just keeping my RevivalDrive, but this seems super cool.
I view Friedman as more "modern" but yet retaining the core DNA of Marshalls. I image the channel 1 Plexi will be most likely to have that "kerrang".

I think this pedal are for those who don't want advanced menu diving on digital devices but want a hybrid approach and to say what they are playing still has "tubes". Have you checked at UA Lion pedal? If you are after more traditional Marshall, that may be better suited for your needs? The LovePedal Purple Plexi pedal also looks sweet and is cheaper than both the options I've mentioned, albeit with less features

I view Friedman as more "modern" but yet retaining the core DNA of Marshalls. I image the channel 1 Plexi will be most likely to have that "kerrang".

I think this pedal are for those who don't want advanced menu diving on digital devices but want a hybrid approach and to say what they are playing still has "tubes". Have you checked at UA Lion pedal? If you are after more traditional Marshall, that may be better suited for your needs? The LovePedal Purple Plexi pedal also looks sweet and is cheaper than both the options I've mentioned, albeit with less features

Thanks!

And okay, interesting! I'll have to look closer for sure. It sounds like it might cover enough of the same ground as the Helix that it probably wouldn't be worth it for me to stick it in the FX loop or something. I do love the idea of having a standalone unit I can take out and use by itself though. Also, it seems the IR-X would be able to integrate well with the HX Stomp over MIDI? That's a definite plus!

And thanks for the other suggestions! I'm not a big fan of the UA stuff for various reasons, though the Lion does sound good from the few demoes I heard! And I'll check out the Purple Plexi, but I have a feeling it's probably too similar to my RevivalDrive Hot Rod to make the switch make too much sense for me. At this point I'm basically only keeping the RD because the Helix models haven't been able to cover quite the same ground for me, so I don't want to invest in something new unless it would make sense alongside the Helix even if they do add some model(s) that will.

I appreciate it!

JHS Bonsai (JHS mode) with the gain up into the IR-X clean channel sounds killer. Most of the gain is coming from the JHS Bonsai and the EXG+SPC are pushing it just a bit. Stacking JHS Packrats into the IR-X clean channel also sounds killer.
Yeah, that dude struck gold with that pedal. I know a guy who uses the Bonsai, in JHS mode, to boost his Silver Jubilee, and good lord did I just about lose my shit when I heard it for the first time.

PSA: the IR-X sounds pretty awesome when profiled by the Kemper :grin

meow_no.png

So is there a current Midi Map for the IR-X I can use with my Morningstar MC-8?
If there is, Link, please!

Thanks!

I believe the only supported MIDI functions are program changes. The settings for each program can be saved using the software.

No control changes but I may be wrong.

I believe the only supported MIDI functions are program changes. The settings for each program can be saved using the software.

I hope you are wrong. I've been seriously considering getting the IR-X.

I suppose that with 128 program slots this could be overcome but using an expression pedal for pushing gain while simultaneously changing tone seems to be a desirable feature.

I think so as well, I e-mailed Friedman to get a CC map but they never responded.

I'm back to running the Friedman in the loop of the Axe FX 3. Switching seems a little smoother and lets me play with the Fractal effects without fussing around with the amps. I've actually disabled IR's in the Friedman and using the IR's in the Axe FX which is fine. The Friedman seems way more forgiving of IR's than the Axe FX for some reason.

Interested to know what do you mean by this?

When using Fractal amp modeling, it takes more work to dial out harshness and get the low end right especially with high gain. It's much more sensitive to which IR is used and the EQ. With the Friedman, it seems much easier to pick an IR and not have to fuss with the EQ settings.

When using Fractal amp modeling, it takes more work to dial out harshness and get the low end right especially with high gain. It's much more sensitive to which IR is used and the EQ. With the Friedman, it seems much easier to pick an IR and not have to fuss with the EQ settings.
absolutely this - I might need to a little tinkering but not nearly as much - I got to the point where I've dialed the IR-X and I don't need to tweak

Back