New Friedman head? Friedman Vintage

Well, I currently have the latest version Smallbox (v3), original SL-67, and a Germino Lead 35. The Smallbox is a cool amp, but sounds nothing like the Suhr or Germino.

Recent amp shootout at my house with a few of my amps and friends’s.

My friend’s Phil X amp is the best sounding Friedman amp I have heard / played to date.

HELL YEAH🤘🏻
We would make great room’mates..
-me & those amps!
I bet those cabs are holdin’ the killer driver’s💯

I don’t care if it’s a pure Plexi design, but a lot of my favorite sounds in a Plexi are clean, edge of breakup, and light gain. I love using them with a Tele for Brad Paisley type of country tones.

So I’m not as interested in a Plexi style amp that is geared towards hotrodded, heavier distortion.
The JVM 410H channel 1 green mode is killer for that

No Effects Loops required for Early VH

1706618218004.png

You can turn the normal channel volume to 0 and it'd be like plugging into the bright channel (and vice versa), according to Dave Friedman.

Wouldn’t the extra gain stage still be in the circuit though? Unless he’s doing something to remove it if volume is at zero.

It’s been a while, but what I seem to remember is that Plexi’s sound more open plugged straight into 1 instead of jumped with the normal channel volume off.

I could be wrong

Wouldn’t the extra gain stage still be in the circuit though? Unless he’s doing something to remove it if volume is at zero.

It’s been a while, but what I seem to remember is that Plexi’s sound more open plugged straight into 1 instead of jumped with the normal channel volume off.

I could be wrong
The inputs are in parallel when jumped, so no extra gain stage, but there is some impedance loading when jumping the channels. That's why EJ is using an Y-cable to use both inputs. I'm a top left input kinda guy myself :)

The inputs are in parallel when jumped, so no extra gain stage, but there is some impedance loading when jumping the channels. That's why EJ is using an Y-cable to use both inputs. I'm a top left input kinda guy myself :)

That makes sense, I knew I heard something different but I didn’t know exactly what caused it. Thanks!

I only said "Okay", because we've already had that whole conversation here once, and also because I was waiting for the dick waving to subside before I responded further.
First off, those are not all mine. Secondly, I only added the photo to show I do have hands on experience with those amps. Wasn’t waving dicks.

I think the Smallbox is a great amp. The loop works great as well. It’s definitely in the “Marshall” camp. But it is different from the “Plexi” clones by a fair margin. Not better or worse, just different.

I appreciate the snark.

First off, those are not all mine. Secondly, I only added the photo to show I do have hands on experience with those amps. Wasn’t waving dicks.

I think the Smallbox is a great amp. The loop works great as well. It’s definitely in the “Marshall” camp. But it is different from the “Plexi” clones by a fair margin. Not better or worse, just different.

I appreciate the snark.
Dude, you’re good.
Looks good from my house👍

The point I was making (which seems to be zipping past and over people’s heads) is that I realize the Smallbox and MetroPlex don’t preserve the sanctity of Plexi tone. I don’t care. An amp without a loop is useless to me.

I think it’s great those amps exist. They serve a purpose. I was just commenting to the other guy that there are alternatives. Those alternatives haven’t been blessed by the almighty Plexi purists, but they’re still a lot of fun.
I get it.
I had to radically except the design doesn’t work out with a loop.
I still want a damn loop!

The point I was making (which seems to be zipping past and over people’s heads) is that I realize the Smallbox and MetroPlex don’t preserve the sanctity of Plexi tone. I don’t care. An amp without a loop is useless to me.

I think it’s great those amps exist. They serve a purpose. I was just commenting to the other guy that there are alternatives. Those alternatives haven’t been blessed by the almighty Plexi purists, but they’re still a lot of fun.
I’m not a plexi purist unless that’s what I want. I tend to like amps that are Marshall derivatives so I lean into amps that aren’t “pure” Marshall plexi but it’s true things like loops and master volumes effect they way they sound and feel so if I want a plexi amp those are a no go. Of course it’s up to each to decide whether that difference is something they care about or not. I agree with you though if you want an alternative that has some modern features there’s some really good options out there.

Given the price of this is $3849, that doesn't seem the worst price.

Although in the UK these are £1900 new, and I expect the Friedman to cost about double that here. If you want an FX loop on a 1959 use a powerstation instead, FX going through a distorted phase inverter sounds like ass.
Or 1959 for the HW in Europe… and the Friedmann is gonna be what 3500… hard pass

Back