Neural DSP

I’ve got a few and they are nice for sure. Sound good, easy to use, look good. Don’t love how limited they are especially in terms of effects and mixing them together.

Probably going to pick up Tone King and thinking about Nolly. I’ve got Plini, Petrucci, and Soldano.

Thanks, guys! I meant the software, not the QC.

I've been using some digital and mfx/modelers for years already.

I don't gig anymore, and I thought if it would be possible to have the smallest set up I could fit on a small table. I just DAW these days.
IMO - not a popular one - the QC sounds amazing, and is really fun/ easy to use. There are some alternatives (Fractal?) that might match it or best it on the former point, but I don't think anything will on the latter. Features, I/O, etc. are all remarkable for the form factor. Unfortunately, NDSP shot themselves in the foot by promising the moon and the stars and never quite delivering. What's on offer is enough to justify the cost (again IMO), but it pisses a lot of people off that so many advertised and/or necessary features are still missing. (Hybrid footswitching, plugin compatibility, desktop editor, sensible capture management, etc. Also, the power supply is kind of cheesy, and the probability of having ground loop noise is higher as a result. A replacement was promised and - true to form - never delivered.)

If you already have a good audio interface (and especially if $$$ is any kind of a concern), then grabbing the right plugins might be the best way to go. (If the track you posted is any indication, you already know what you're doing. :love)

If you do want a hardware solution that you can use with your computer or away from your computer, then the QC is pretty much ideal, per your "smallest setup... on a small table" preference. It's the best desktop unit yet, by virtue of its form factor, and its having so many encoders (plus touch screen). I personally prefer programming on this unit over editing on PC with a mouse - it just feels more satisfying/ like working with "real gear".

As for dealing with the lack of a computer editor if/when you put the QC on the floor... The following is a cross-post from "another forum". I hope the TGF mods are alright with that?
_____

It's worth investing a couple hundred bucks in an 8 switch MIDI footcontroller (I use an Ampero Control 4 with a couple of Moskey dual switches connected, for a total of 8) and mapping these directly to the QC footswitch assignments. It's a straightforward workaround until a desktop editor is made available.

It adds other value, too - namely, proper "hybrid mode". If you map the switches like for like, then the foot controller will behave as you expect in any mode, without having to worry about any additional programming. But I have a second configuration for my foot controller where the top row always selects Scenes A-D, and the bottom row is mapped to whatever footswitches E-H are doing. This way I get hybrid mode "for free" (by putting the QC in Stomp mode), and if I open the Looper X performance screen, I get the most essential functions of the looper at my feet (bottom row), while still being able to change Scenes with the top row. (The more esoteric looper functions are just as easily triggered with the touchscreen anyway.)

Easy peasy. And cheap. (Pro tip: the Ampero Control 4 will run off any high-capacity rechargeable 9V battery, and will connect directly to a CME WIDI Master for fully wireless operation.) I chucked all this stuff in a box (literally) and it works great. :)

q5jLSOo.jpg

If you're willing to spend a little more on a Morningstar MC-8 (or already own one), that's even easier.

Last edited:
IMO - not a popular one - the QC sounds amazing, and is really fun/ easy to use. There are some alternatives (Fractal?) that might match it or best it on the former point, but I don't think anything will on the latter. Features, I/O, etc. are all remarkable for the form factor. Unfortunately, NDSP shot themselves in the foot by promising the moon and the stars and never quite delivering. What's on offer is enough to justify the cost (again IMO), but it pisses a lot of people off that so many advertised and/or necessary features are still missing. (Hybrid footswitching, plugin compatibility, desktop editor, sensible capture management, etc. Also, the power supply is kind of cheesy, and the probability of having ground loop noise is higher as a result. A replacement was promised and - true to form - never delivered.)

If you already have a good audio interface (and especially if $$$ is any kind of a concern), then grabbing the right plugins might be the best way to go. (If the track you posted is any indication, you already know what you're doing. :love)

If you do want a hardware solution that you can use with your computer or away from your computer, then the QC is pretty much ideal, per your "smallest setup... on a small table" preference. It's the best desktop unit yet, by virtue of its form factor, and its having so many encoders (plus touch screen). I personally prefer programming on this unit over editing on PC with a mouse - it just feels more satisfying/ like working with "real gear".

As for dealing with the lack of a computer editor if/when you put the QC on the floor... The following is a cross-post from "another forum". I hope the TGF mods are alright with that?
_____

It's worth investing a couple hundred bucks in an 8 switch MIDI footcontroller (I use an Ampero Control 4 with a couple of Moskey dual switches connected, for a total of 8) and mapping these directly to the QC footswitch assignments. It's a straightforward workaround until a desktop editor is made available.

It adds other value, too - namely, proper "hybrid mode". If you map the switches like for like, then the foot controller will behave as you expect in any mode, without having to worry about any additional programming. But I have a second configuration for my foot controller where the top rows always select Scenes A-D, and the bottom row is mapped to whatever footswitches E-H are doing. This way I get hybrid mode "for free" (by putting the QC in Stomp mode), and if I open the Looper X performance screen, I get the most essential functions of the looper at my feet (bottom row), while still being able to change Scenes with the top row. (The more esoteric looper functions are just as easily triggered with the touchscreen anyway.)

Easy peasy. And cheap. (Pro tip: the Ampero Control 4 will run off any high-capacity rechargeable 9V battery, and will connect directly to a CMI WIDI Master for fully wireless operation.) I chucked all this stuff in a box (literally) and it works great. :)

q5jLSOo.jpg

If you're willing to spend a little more on a Morningstar MC-8 (or already own one), that's even easier.
Ipad Box Midi Controller FTW!

i just tried the Live Ready Sound Jake 800 Quadcortex captures those captures are pretty good from crunch to high gain,i really love Jake 800 capture #2 for a crunch sound,guys give it a try,Tim Warner really answer all your question,great guy,thank you Tim

I've got a library of the plugins as well as a pair of QCs, though not a Neural apologist, I enjoy the shit. It works. The plugins are super fun to jam with if there's nothing else around but your laptop and interface. The Gojira and Petrucci plugs are my faves at this point since I can pretty much conjure anything I need out of the pair. The Fortin Cali, Soldano, and the Mark IIC+ are super fun to just sit down and riff with though. As mentioned above you do fine some redundancy, and the newer ones definitely shine vs the OG versions since there's more additives (though they're working to get them all up to modern spec and Apple silicone native functionality).

Having a QC here and at my band's monthly space is huge for workflow too. I can quickly tweak on this end, and grab the changes from the cloud over there. Mostly finding captures as the basis for the tones I use these days.

Lots of sick gear out there, what a time to be alive...cheers!

J.

Got a dozen of their plugs and I hate how they do biz ever since the groveling for advance money for the QC

Back