Help me find a new 12" speaker.

Achilles

Rock Star
1 x 12 open back cab in a smallish room. Tones are 80s modded Marshall, SLO, Boogie Mark, and more modern stuff like KSR and Diezel. Volumes are loud TV levels mostly and my style is pretty fast fusion stuff. I need something that's tight and immediate.

What would you recommend? I'm currently using a Greenback but I'm starting to think it's not the right tool for the job/tones. Thanks.

Interesting. I haven't used a 10" speaker since using a smaller Boogie combo decades ago. Loved that amp so maybe it's time to consider a 10" again?

10 vs 12

I know from experience that the 12 inch Neo Creamback works well at lower volumes. There's one in our house that gets used almost every day. Alex is onto something.

I've not tried the Celestion 10 inch creamback (G10), but I note that it has a 96dB sensitivity, so that spec bodes well.

Last edited:
Creamback?

I loooooooooooooooooooove the Creambacks. :love

Just a higher wattage Greenback with heavier mags. Both the 65 and 75 are great. I have one
of each loaded in 1 x 12 cabs and run them both together out of different amps.

Never wrong shouting out the WGS ET65 either. On a budget (sub $100) you can't go wrong.
Those would be great for some fusion tones as they are a tad smoother and darker than a
Greenie style speaker.

Done. Thanks for the replies!

61sZ2545qNL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Was just going to say here that the ET65 has the highest SPL of all the creamback-style speakers! 😅

Well, I guess we'll find out if it works well at loud TV levels. I'd like to know, because if the answer is yes - I'd be interested in trying one too.

Mind you, there's always been some controversy concerning the SPL ratings of both Eminence and WGS... so who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking forward to the report.

Last edited:
I was going to recommend an Eminence Governor, or 10" Cannabis Rex, but looks like you got something.(y)

It's only rated 2dB higher than the Celestion version. I'm using a reactive attenuator that can eat that if it's a problem. (y)

Yep. There's two things to consider and I didn't explain myself properly.

There's the indicative SPL, but there's also a that minumum volume level that's different for all speakers where they start to "wake up". There's no direct correlation with SPL figures, but I'm just more suspicious of speakers that are designed for higher SPLs; hopefully it will be perfect for you at the volumes you want anyway. 🤞

Given that there's no real infomation published on such things, and it's purely subjective, I suppose you've just got to try 'em.

Yep. There's two things to consider and I didn't explain myself properly.

There's the indicative SPL, but there's also a that minumum volume level that's different for all speakers where they start to "wake up". There's no direct correlation with SPL figures, but I'm just more suspicious of speakers that are designed for higher SPLs; hopefully it will be perfect for you at the volumes you want anyway. 🤞

Given that there's no real infomation published on such things, and it's purely subjective, I suppose you've just got to try 'em.
I haven't found any real difference in speakers in this regard. Over the last few years I've had a 1x12 V30, Eminence Maverick, Celestion Alnico Gold and 4x10 Greenbacks. All of these have required at minimum around 90 dB @ 1m volume levels to truly start sounding great. Doesn't matter if you use a modeler into a poweramp, or a tube amp through a Fryette Power Station or regular attenuator.

The SPL ratings especially for WGS are pretty dubious because there is zero info on how this has been reached. Eminence's are generally at least more realistic whereas WGS is always higher than Eminence or Celestion.

All of these have required at minimum around 90 dB @ 1m volume levels to truly start sounding great

Yeah, that's the real issue I'm talking about. I agree that all the SPL levels are dubious. But my point is, the higher power speakers with generally higher SPL ratings (whether accurate or not), tend to have this higher "wake up" volume before they start sounding great.

And that, is exactly the problem I was having with the ET10 in my other thread, and why I switched to a much lower SPL Fat Jimmy speaker C1025 (6 dB less) ... which, oddly enough, is manufactured by WGS. It's similar to a 10" Veteran. The ET10 is the 10 inch sibling of the 12 inch ET65, which is why I had a concern.

Anyway, some speakers sound slightly better at lower volumes and the Neo Creamback is one of those.

Last edited:
Back