NDSP Quad Cortex

There's so much unspoken forum history subtext here

Better left that way, eh?
Who the holy fuck ever wants to go back to those days?!?!?

giphy.gif

I don’t care how boomery this is, just write the names of the fucking things in the blocks. I feel like I need a decoder ring for that shit.

It's funny, thinking about it, I go by the colours and barely register what the images are.

(Which is why it was annoying that I couldn’t change the led colour of switches with multiple assigned effects.)

Crisis averted!!! I was thinking of going to GC to maaaybe pick up a Helix Floor if there were going to give me a discount. Luckily they had a display model I could mess around without talking to anyone. Holy fuck is it ever bigger than I remembered when I tried one a couple weeks back.

While the UI "looks" like that of the QC (other way around but you get my drift). It just doesn't flow as well. At least for some things. It feels old. You only get the settings on a portion of the display at the bottom. Kinda crude. Works but still. Maybe it's the touch aspect, but the QC is much more intuitive.

I do like the scribble strips and the flexibility to assign stuff. That is missing on the QC (scribble strips and user assignable to whatever you want, not just hybrid mode). The capacitive switches are cool to bring up settings for stomps and such.

The expression pedal just takes up way too much space and not everyone wants it. I don't understand why they don't chop it off and offer it separately. Sorta kinda like the FC switches from Fractal, or even their small expression pedals. Let the user decide.

Hardware quality feels a lot more solid than the QC that's for sure.

But with all that said, I walked out thinking, I don't need this giant thing. I can easily chug along (literally... caveman go chug... lol)... on the QC and see what CoreOS 3.0.0 brings (PCOM for the laymen)... and see what Helix eventually brings to supplant the 9 (10?) year old Helix.

redeem.gif

I agree for the most part, but man, they copied even the icon colors
Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics
It would be a mess, IF they did other colors ??
If say, I came from a Helix, and got me a QC and the colors were random :idk

If I get a new phone, or a new car and everything would be the other way around, it would be hard for me to buy that. I think making stuff in the same ballpark is a good thing. It looks like the grid of the Helix..yup! But I can get used to that really quick

Knocked Loose are really popular on the NDSP Discord.

To me they're a great example of why, even though I love metal when I love it, it's such temperamental genre for me.

I listened to the opening of the first song. Was really digging the guitar, bass, and drums. Really getting into the groove of it. Then the vocals started and I ejected it faster than Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2.

Fucking Karen music.

..rather be dead

I did try to listen to a few tracks (knocked loose) and I hear nothing `Refused` about them.
But I love Refused :love
Well, having heard one Refused album (a zillion times) and one Knocked Loose song in bits and pieces just yesterday, I'm hardly an expert. :D But I still feel like there's a lot of DNA in common here, at least where the vocal styles are concerned:

(That Refused album is sublime IMO, but I think this Knocked Loose track is pretty fantastic as well.)

Last edited:

If I get a new phone, or a new car and everything would be the other way around, it would be hard for me to buy that. I think making stuff in the same ballpark is a good thing. It looks like the grid of the Helix..yup! But I can get used to that really quick
Agree, differentiation just for the hell of it will result in chaos over the course of a few years.

Sooner or later, every one who remains competitive will be doing things that simply makes sense, and that's going to result in a lot of similarities.

cant-we-all-just-get-along.jpg

Last edited:
..rather be dead

I did try to listen to a few tracks (knocked loose) and I hear nothing `Refused` about them.
But I love Refused :love

Newer band that reminds me of Refused is Turnstile. Saw them open for Blink 182 and they were pretty great live too.

Newer band that reminds me of Refused is Turnstile. Saw them open for Blink 182 and they were pretty great live too.

I'm not hearing Refused so much as "If Fugazi got Metal". But again, this is per the vast expertise I've amassed by randomly clicking around on YouTube for 3 minutes. :D

I was never a huge Fugazi fan, and thus far, I could take or leave Turnstile. Clearly a lot of talent there, though.

#showingmyageeeverytimeimakeacomparisonlol

I mean, maybe? Seems like FAS, Boss and even Ampero, et al have done things differently. None scream Helix to me. Rant over lol

Back