NDSP Quad Cortex

I mean it makes sense to diversify the product portfolio but all I've seen as far as this "Dual Cortex" is just folks wishing this would be a thing with the rise of ToneX and profiling having become a more accessible feature given IK's success.
From a post on Reddit from January

I just got back from NAMM and I can assure you that there is something very freaking cool coming shortly... we all had to sign a nondisclosure before they let us look but I can tell you that it is amazing and small...

I just got back from NAMM and I can assure you that there is something very freaking cool coming shortly... we all had to sign a nondisclosure before they let us look but I can tell you that it is amazing and small...
thats a penis GIF

I bet they’d not be able to make something as feature complete/mature/developed like HX Stomp. But if it is about that small and have more “room” (blocks)… I’ll just stop talking we all know…

I bet they’d not be able to make something as feature complete/mature/developed like HX Stomp. But if it is about that small and have more “room” (blocks)… I’ll just stop talking we all know…
Cut down QC with:
  • Half the DSP. Analog Devices probably makes something that's exactly this but otherwise compatible with the QC software.
  • Smaller touchscreen. Their UI should scale just fine as there's going to be only two DSP paths and params probably fit in the remaining area.
  • Less encoders/footswitches. New footswitch PCB, some software changes (max switches in gig view UI etc) and that's about it.
Sounds totally like something they'd be able to do. If anything doing that is easier than developing the HX Stomp, which required a whole different UI to make it work with the dinky screen and few controls.

Yeah I don't disagree with this. I guess the narrative I always see is "QC never has updates", and when I looked it was more like "Oh actually there's been a megaton of bug fixes, decent amount of quality of life improvements as well as new pedals/amps/captures etc".

I’m not sure who has ever said they literally haven't updated it. “Megaton” is certainly an opinion.

I think if you bought it and expected slews of updates then that has been pretty slow. But if you bought it and just wanted things to "get better" then that seems to be more the overall picture.

I think the average person at launch was expecting them to add features they promoted in timeframes they were indicating. Otherwise yes it has “been pretty slow”.

updates have been pretty continuous since day dot.

Continuous and “slow as shit” can be used interchangeably here. :ROFLMAO: I mean sure they haven’t stopped updating it, but they haven’t updated it in a year and there has been one update in 19 months.

I'm looking at getting one "soon" and besides the high price tag it seems like a decent unit "now that its got 3 years of dev under its belt".

Wait, you’ve never owned one?

Cut down QC with:
  • Half the DSP. Analog Devices probably makes something that's exactly this but otherwise compatible with the QC software.
  • Smaller touchscreen. Their UI should scale just fine as there's going to be only two DSP paths and params probably fit in the remaining area.
  • Less encoders/footswitches. New footswitch PCB, some software changes (max switches in gig view UI etc) and that's about it.
Sounds totally like something they'd be able to do. If anything doing that is easier than developing the HX Stomp, which required a whole different UI to make it work with the dinky screen and few controls.
Yep that new Sharc Cliff mentioned 1chip has basically the power of an entire Helix floor
One chip is likely less cooling
And one path will give the advantage or lower latency as well
So they could use that to get a fairly power unit

In case you have not seen this before here is a mock up actually taken from the NDSP forum
This was done before QC 1 was even released
Doug made comments that he loved it but their focus was on the original QC at moment

Here is maybe what a smaller QC looks like

IMG_0996.jpeg

As is well known, I am a massive fan of NDSP as a corporate entity and an even bigger fan of how they run and promote their stuff :barf

By my rough calculations, it began being ultra-hyped and pre-orders taken in or around Jan 2020 or thereabouts .... so a speedy-blink-of-the-eye 4 & 1/2 years later and owners will now be able to spend another $200 in order to add and run 2 of their 18 guitar plugins .... that didn't take too long now did it !?!?!?!?

Anyone running a book on how long before *all* current and all future released plugins will be " X - ified ".

I'm guessing mid 2026 ... but then again I do despise everything about this Company ... perhaps even more than U.A ... if that's actually possible.

Ben " I'm in a cheery mode today " Ifin

Anyone running a book on how long before *all* current and all future released plugins will be " X - ified ".

I'm guessing mid 2026 ... but then again I do despise everything about this Company ... perhaps even more than U.A ... if that's actually possible.
Hopefully faster than that. I think in some blog post they said they needed to port some of the plugins to a newer plugin architecture. Newer plugins should therefore be easier to get working.

But all of 2025 is at least a reasonable expectation.

Hopefully faster than that. I think in some blog post they said they needed to port some of the plugins to a newer plugin architecture. Newer plugins should therefore be easier to get working.

But all of 2025 is at least a reasonable expectation.

Yeah that’s reasonable. At current X release pace it would probably take longer than 2025 but one hopes that they pick up some momentum and these start to drop with increased regularity.

I am curious, assuming 3.0 is successful, if the dev bottleneck continues during that timeframe though in terms of native content additions. The fact that they’ve had to virtually abandon release of new native content over the last year to make 3.0 happen, makes you wonder how much more juggling they’ll be doing while finishing the other 15+ plugs. I mean surely you’d want at least as much native content added to the device as paid content.

They've updated both the Morgan suite and archetype Asato in the past few days! WOW

Take a guess whether they're now X or not :rofl

Yeah that’s reasonable. At current X release pace it would probably take longer than 2025 but one hopes that they pick up some momentum and these start to drop with increased regularity.

I am curious, assuming 3.0 is successful, if the dev bottleneck continues during that timeframe though in terms of native content additions. The fact that they’ve had to virtually abandon release of new native content over the last year to make 3.0 happen, makes you wonder how much more juggling they’ll be doing while finishing the other 15+ plugs. I mean surely you’d want at least as much native content added to the device as paid content.
IIRC they stated that everything up to Archetype Petrucci needed a rebuild; that would mean the following require X-updates:

- Fortin Nameless (done)
- Fortin NTS
- Fortin Cali
- Parallax (done)
- Darkglass Ultra
- Archetype Plini (done)
- Archetype Abasi
- Archetype Nolly (WIP - being worked on if trust their posts)
- Omega Granophyre
- Soldano SLO-100 (done)
- Archetype Cory Wong (not sure if this came before or after PEtrucci)

So ..they're halfway(ish) through the porting I guess(?) - Q3 or Q4 2025 is probably a good hunch of when they might finish.

Last edited:
IIRC they stated that everything up to Archetype Petrucci needed a rebuild; that would make the following require X-updates:

- Fortin Nameless (done)
- Fortin NTS
- Fortin Cali
- Parallax (done)
- Darkglass Ultra
- Archetype Plini (done)
- Archetype Abasi
- Omega Granophyre
- Soldano SLO-100 (done)

So ..they're halfway(ish) through the porting I guess(?) - Q3 or Q4 2025 is probably a good hunch of when they might finish.

Don't forget that the plugin porting requires parallel development. So they may "finish" the X-ifying of all of their plugins by the end of next year, but coming up with firmware that enables each of those batches will likely lag that by a good bit.

Just as 3.0 only enables QC usage of two "X"-version plugins even though five exist and have been finished for months now.

IIRC they stated that everything up to Archetype Petrucci needed a rebuild; that would mean the following require X-updates:

- Fortin Nameless (done)
- Fortin NTS
- Fortin Cali
- Parallax (done)
- Darkglass Ultra
- Archetype Plini (done)
- Archetype Abasi
- Omega Granophyre
- Soldano SLO-100 (done)

Which is fine but ideally they also release non plugin updates along side it. Which I'm not holding my breath

Back