NAD - Soldano Astro 20

Jaji

Groupie
After all the hemming and hawing, I found a used Astro 20 and took the plunge.

I received the amp 1 day before a gig. I re-tubed the entire amp - which I always do with used gear - and spent maybe 20 minutes quickly dialing it in and adjusting the settings with the software. Took it to the gig and it was bliss. I used 2 - 8 ohm 2x12 cabs and the amp had no issue with keeping up with the rest of the band. As it turns out, you wind up with 4 channels at the end, or at least 4 different levels of gain. I hadn't yet changed any of the stock IRs and still this amp blew me away.

For total transparency, I have never played a REAL Soldano. I do have the SLO module with my Syn 30 head and I adore how that amp sounds. The Astro does all those same tones and more. I initially did wonder about the output volume level. My Badlander 25 seemed to be quite a bit louder. Still, the overall impression was perfect for me. To me, the Astro sounded extremely similar to my Synergy with the SLO module but it is a bit more refined, for lack of a better way to describe sound.

Since that first gig, I have spent substantially more time with the amp. I loaded 2 IRs that I prefer to use, but I still keep the stock 2x12 EVM IRs in place for the 2 lowest gain modes I use. I also figured out my false volume perception. The stock 3 channels have an independent level control - similar to what some Mesa amps have. All I needed to do was push those volumes up, and I found that scorch and punch I thought I was missing.

Another great plus to the Astro (for me at least) is the ability to use the head without a cab at all. So, if my band plays in venues that require totally or near silent stage volumes, not a problem at all. And, I don't have to use my Captor X, so one less piece of gear on stage.

As technically advanced as this tube amp is, it responds just as any tube amp should. I have experienced some amps feeling and sounding "plastic" after a bit. With the Astro, the feel is there, the tone is there in spades, and the flexibility is amazing.

For the past several years, I have mainly used my Kemper Stage for indoor gigs. Then I play Amp Roulette for outdoor venues. This Astro is challenging that battle plan. I will likely use the Astro explicitly for a while.

I know some are concerned about this amp using 6V6 in the power section. I can tell you from first hand experience, there was no "mushiness" when cranked. I often prefer 6V6s in my TC50 as well. Just a different flavor, most noticeable with clean and pushed clean tones. Crunch to full grind, no massive changes to my ears. For the Astro, I used TAD Redbase 6V6 tubes. In my TC50, I have some NOS Russian military 6V6 tubes. Both amps scream, but just a little "quieter."

Back